Banana Sushi Rant

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Oh man, I love those. But there's no denying they're pretty high in calories. Using PB2 instead of peanut butter helps a lot. A sprinkle of cinnamon takes it up a notch too.

I have some PB 2 that needs using up... good idea!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    This and the recent recipe for avocado brownies has me puzzled...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    On second thought, I would support this ingredient combo on the condition that it was made like a quesadilla instead of like sushi. In other words, instead of rolling and slicing fold it over and toast in a skillet it with some butter before eating (and maybe some sugar, too).

Now I want a PB and B Quesadilla!
  • aresvallis
    aresvallis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind the banana sushi or avocado recipes. I can't have anything with gluten, dairy, or most processed carbohydrates like pasta and some of these I can actually eat, so it's kinda nice exploring quirky stuff like this since I can't pile ice cream with cookies and skittles.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I will confess that I tried it for lunch one day, just out of curiosity (no coconut because I didn't have any.) But I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches, so why not? Let me tell you, these people must get bananas with no significant curve in them, because mine was a mess. But it was a fun and tasty mess, so I count it a win!

I just bend the banana until it cracks a bit and becomes straight, then I proceed with the tortilla wrapping. :)

I did actually try this, but I still made a disaster of it. One thing the internet has taught me is that I am all thumbs when it comes to making food look pretty...except for icing a cake. :)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Definitely not sushi... Not even close. I'd call it a banana roll up but use this instead to help with the calories.

1 FlatOut wrap - 90 cals
    4 tbsp PB2 - 90 cals
    1 banana - 120 cals

On top -
    1 cup fresh strawberries - 50 cals
    1 container greek yogurt - 80 cals

That's 420 calories with over 30g of protein which isn't that bad.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think they added Sushi to the title because when you cut it up into the same sized pieces, it kind of looks like Sushi on a tray.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy. Not everyone is here to lose weight.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I've made something similar to this "banana sushi" recipe, but better. Take a tortilla and lay it flat. Mash a banana and spread on one half. Top with peanut butter. Drizzle with Maple Syrup. Fold in half and then pan fry in butter.

Oh wait, I use to make that BEFORE MFP! LOL Oh well, it was delicious and didn't need a fancy name like Banana Sushi.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I've made something similar to this "banana sushi" recipe, but better. Take a tortilla and lay it flat. Mash a banana and spread on one half. Top with peanut butter. Drizzle with Maple Syrup. Fold in half and then pan fry in butter.

Oh wait, I use to make that BEFORE MFP! LOL Oh well, it was delicious and didn't need a fancy name like Banana Sushi.

Whats stopping you from making it now?

Well, for starters, I eat a Keto diet, but even if I didn't, I've had to eliminate gluten and dairy from my diet. That said, if I weren't doing Keto and if I weren't sensitive to milk and gluten, I would consider making it on occasion, because for the most part, I do believe everything in moderation.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Definitely not sushi... Not even close. I'd call it a banana roll up but use this instead to help with the calories.

1 FlatOut wrap - 90 cals
    4 tbsp PB2 - 90 cals
    1 banana - 120 cals

On top -
    1 cup fresh strawberries - 50 cals
    1 container greek yogurt - 80 cals

That's 420 calories with over 30g of protein which isn't that bad.

That sounds good, I might try that! I probably would put the Greek Yogurt on the inside of the wrap, leave off the strawberry’s and add some cinnamon on the inside because I like cinnamon. Without the topping it keeps it portable.

Banana Wrap!

(Or how about a Nanarito) :p
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    To be honest I dont understand people whose response when someone offers something like a recipe for free is to get annoyed because they dont personally have a use for it. Well....then dont make it.

There isnt some sort of moral imperative to post only things that you personally find to be helpful. Yeah, there are things in the world you likely won't find a use for....why is that annoying though?

I'd argue its a bad recipe. Its needlessly complicated, unoriginal, shoddily titled and possibly out of place on a calorie-counting community. I've found it oddly annoying every time I see it as well, some pretentiously smarmy out-of-place enthusiasm radiating from its nauseating list of ingredients.

In its defense, since I don't especially like the fruit+PB combo, and the addition of coconut makes me think of the cloying, scratchy, dehydrating crunch of it in my mouth and the tortilla is just weird (its savory! At least make it a crepe...) every time the thing pops up, it ruins my appetite a bit, which I suppose is helpful in a reductive sort of way when trying to lose weight.
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    To be honest I dont understand people whose response when someone offers something like a recipe for free is to get annoyed because they dont personally have a use for it. Well....then dont make it.

There isnt some sort of moral imperative to post only things that you personally find to be helpful. Yeah, there are things in the world you likely won't find a use for....why is that annoying though?

It would be like if I at my local coffee shop happened to see an ad posted on the bulletin board for guitar lessons and my response was to get annoyed because I dont even want guitar lessons. So annoyed that I decide to write a letter about how I dont find guitar lessons to be useful and post it right next to the original post. It's a weird rather narcissistic thing to do.

Aaron have you seen Ricky Gervais recently by any chance? I loved the guitar lesson analogy

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

It would be like if I at my local coffee shop happened to see an ad posted on the bulletin board for guitar lessons and my response was to get annoyed because I dont even want guitar lessons. So annoyed that I decide to write a letter about how I dont find guitar lessons to be useful and post it right next to the original post. It's a weird rather narcissistic thing to do.

Aaron have you seen Ricky Gervais recently by any chance? I loved the guitar lesson analogy

Yeah I love Ricky, such a funny clever guy. I knew I had heard and loved that analogy before so I definitely got it from somewhere but I forgot who had said it, not suprised at all if it was Ricky.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited June 2018
    Options
    tk2222 wrote: »

I'd argue its a bad recipe. Its needlessly complicated, unoriginal, shoddily titled and possibly out of place on a calorie-counting community. I've found it oddly annoying every time I see it as well, some pretentiously smarmy out-of-place enthusiasm radiating from its nauseating list of ingredients.

In its defense, since I don't especially like the fruit+PB combo, and the addition of coconut makes me think of the cloying, scratchy, dehydrating crunch of it in my mouth and the tortilla is just weird (its savory! At least make it a crepe...) every time the thing pops up, it ruins my appetite a bit, which I suppose is helpful in a reductive sort of way when trying to lose weight.

Huh well you and I read a different thread then because the one I saw was a mom just throwing out this recipe as an idea that kids might like and I sort of assumed that is what this was about as it was literally right next to this in the forum when I first saw it. Not pretentious at all and rather kindly worded if anything even if you don't like the recipe.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/434682/banana-sushi-rolls

So maybe if you read that you can understand more why I reacted the way I did when I saw this. Also hadn't noticed that post I linked was from 2012 originally.
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Yeah I love Ricky, such a funny clever guy. I knew I had heard and loved that analogy before so I definitely got it from somewhere but I forgot who had said it, not supervised at all if it was Ricky.

It's from his Humanity show. My husband and I yell "but I don't want guitar lessons!" every time someone gets all offended about something that is nothing to do with them.

• Aaron_K123
    edited June 2018
    Options

Yeah I love Ricky, such a funny clever guy. I knew I had heard and loved that analogy before so I definitely got it from somewhere but I forgot who had said it, not supervised at all if it was Ricky.

It's from his Humanity show. My husband and I yell "but I don't want guitar lessons!" every time someone gets all offended about something that is nothing to do with them.

Yeah it probably was where I got it. Just really made me take notice how common that sort of response has become. To see something someone is offering to the public in general and get annoyed by it because you don't personally want it. It is just weird if you think about it.