Has anyone tried it

Options
Real talk, has anyone on MFP tried intuitive eating and found results in maintaining weight/ losing the last couple pounds. Seems a lot better to listen to my body than to constantly track and log... please don’t bash me I’m just wondering

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A more descriptive title and different placement would probably give your interesting question more attention. Maybe the mods can move it. But anyway, I have worked on "listening to my body" from around the time I joined MFP (more than 4 years ago), I've been maintaining a healthy weight for more than three and a half years, and I still have to interpret what it's telling me, I still find planning/logging food a great help. What I don't do, however, is over-restrict or aim for perfection. I try to be flexible, and kind, and at the same time have sensible boundaries. I'm happy with this arrangement and these terms, and I don't think of myself as struggling anymore.
  • categ78
    categ78 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I maintain with intuitive eating and do find it really helps create a positive relationship with food for me. My body seems good at eating what it needs when and I eat a varied balanced diet.

It did take a while to learn again to eat intuitively and I did gain some weight at that point which later dropped away naturally over the course of a year

I’m tracking at the mo to lose vanity lbs which possibly puts my weight a little lower than it would remain if I ate intuitively.

Each have there place
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It has never worked for me in the past. Possibly down the line when I’ve been in maintenance for a while.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Mindful and intuitive eating. My original factory settings worked in childhood but my adult hunger cues are complicated. My brain doesn't care if I slide back off the goose. My brain doesn't care what I eat or if I sit on the couch at the speed of zero. My brain doesn't care.

Body. Mind. Spirit. The only part of me that cares is my spirit. My spirit moves me to care about myself and others.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i got fat eating intuitively. :/

however i lost 100 pounds and maintained that for 2 years without logging hardly ever, but that was AFTER 2 years of weighing and logging EVERYTHING. So... I had learned a lot.

Im now on to losing the last bit of weight, and am back to logging.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I've noticed both of my daughters eat until they're full then stop regardless of what might still be on their plate.

I, on the other hand, have a strong compulsion to clean my plate even when I'm stuffed full. Intuitive eating would be difficult for me because I can't read the signals like they can.

I could work hard a long time to possibly rewire my brain or I can log and make my eating decisions that way.

For now and probably for a very long time that's what I plan to do.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've gained (on purpose), maintained and lost weight without tracking. I did track for around a year or so to get the hang of it and become more calorie/macro aware. Sometimes I still check in (mostly to make sure I am getting enough protein) but I use the scale in a trend weight app and adjust accordingly. Is it for everyone? No. Is it the easiest way to do it.. not always, it does require some trial and error to get the numbers right. Many people would rather just track then waste time adjusting. If I was competing or trying to get ultra lean with a set deadline, I might go back to it so it's good to know it's always there if I need it.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I've gained (on purpose), maintained and lost weight without tracking. I did track for around a year or so to get the hang of it and become more calorie/macro aware. Sometimes I still check in (mostly to make sure I am getting enough protein) but I use the scale in a trend weight app and adjust accordingly. Is it for everyone? No. Is it the easiest way to do it.. not always, it does require some trial and error to get the numbers right. Many people would rather just track then waste time adjusting. If I was competing or trying to get ultra lean with a set deadline, I might go back to it so it's good to know it's always there if I need it.

I think I would waste even more time adjusting somewhat blindly. In other words, if the scale shows i am slowly losing, my adjustment to eat more would likely make me start gaining at a higher rate than I was losing. I would notice that and cut back, again somewhat blindly...

Tracking and using goals, I can make small adjustments more accurately. Well, until I have to start using voodoo with exercise numbers. But if I am exercising somewhat consistently, I can dial in pretty accurately.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I think I would waste even more time adjusting somewhat blindly. In other words, if the scale shows i am slowly losing, my adjustment to eat more would likely make me start gaining at a higher rate than I was losing. I would notice that and cut back, again somewhat blindly...

Tracking and using goals, I can make small adjustments more accurately. Well, until I have to start using voodoo with exercise numbers. But if I am exercising somewhat consistently, I can dial in pretty accurately.
    It's definitely easier to run an extra half mile or half mile less than it is to eat 2 bites less of rice or 1/4 oz more of cheese.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Yea that's why my method is definitely not for everyone.

I typically don't make too many adjustments until I see a clear trend. If I am losing close to 1lb over two weeks, I know it's time to add back in a snack or adjust portions. If I am losing less than 0.3lb per week, I typically will decrease my refeed days, or lose a snack or increase my activity. It is kind of like taking shots in the dark.. but with really good hearing, haha. But logging consistently/accurately is not for me so this is how I found a way that works.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I can't do it. I have a poor relationship with myself and with food, and my hunger/full cues are, at best, a little off. At the very least, I need to mentally count/track cals. I can be pretty good at that.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    In the past when I was not calorie counting I could maintain my weight fairly well for long periods but also gradually gained. I could not lose weight consistantly without calorie counting. If I stopped logging today I could probably maintain because I have a pretty good idea of portion sizes and calorie counts of many foods. It would not be intuitive eating so much as just doing what I currently do except no logging. I like logging though so I'm going to keep doing it.
    There are many people who lose weight without tracking what they eat. With not much to lose you only need to cut 250 or so calories off your normal consumption. That might be changing a snack, not taking a second helping, skipping a fancy coffee drink- not big changes. It could be useful for you to track for a couple of weeks at least though to see where your calories go.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I ate intuitively. My intuition led to an 8lb gain.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    I've tried many times to stop logging.

what happens is I do okay for a while, then start eating more and more low-nutrition foods.

Some people are likely very good at intuitive eating, I'm just not one of them.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Nope. There were two years of my life when I didn't own a scale, didn't go to the doctor and ate when I was hungry, foods that seemed generally healthy/reasonable (I don't have a bingeing issue or anything.) That was when I was in graduate school, and very busy and walking all over campus, too, without much money for restaurant food. Total gain was 15 lbs over 2 years. Now I weigh in weekly, track what I eat and weigh/measure food. Haven't seen that weight (except pregnancies) since then and am almost 20 years older now than I was then.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There are all kinds of eating protocols. Some firmly tell you to throw the scales out, don't weigh or measure, don't even think about counting your calories or track your data points or stats. But upon further reading the finer print and observing what was really going on, I could clearly see some of these protocols are a cover for disordered eating.

They may tell you to eat the fat, fat, fat. Fat is where it's at! But I didn't see anything that indicated they were eating one lick of fat. Noo. I saw one bowl of food eaten daily upon a bed of lettuce. A sprinkle of ground turkey or ground chicken with a splash and dash of some fancy sauce. Day after day and year after year.

Rigid and regimented eating under the guise that they had all of the answers for me and you. Crying when a bite of a donut was eaten or literally falling apart over some commercial snack that was eaten. I knew I had been duped.

I tried to convince myself that just because you rephrase all of the old dieting terms with new words that it made it different. A real miracle cure and the answer to all of my weight problems. It wasn't the answer at all.

I've read all of the books that indicate you are a very particular personality type and you fit exactly into their bias or how they manage their own disordered eating. A common theme was always there between the lines, they had the cure for you. All wrapped up neatly within the confines of their thinking for you and me.

But I'm not so easily led. I know how to think for myself.

So I threw out all of the dieting books and I mean all of them. I don't look to them for the answers. I joined MFP and I started reading the forum long before I posted anything here. I found some actual people who had been down in the trenches. People who had been to hail and back and put through the wringer.

I kept reading and loved what they had to say. The perfect mix of common sense and brains. They're my heroes and they don't even know me. It's alright. I had to learn to motivate and be accountable to myself. 100%. No one can do it for you. No one has all of your answers. You have to find them on your individual pathway to healing and recovery and making peace with food.

I eat what I want. I move how I choose. No one has to live in my body. I am able to stay within my normal river banks by using MFP. When I meander too far, I just read some posts written by my unsung heroes.

Your thank yous may not be forthcoming as you tool along but I say thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

For the love of all things anonymous, no names, titles or programs were used or will be acknowledged, now or in the future.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is my third attempt at losing weight. The first two times I counted everything, to the point where I would go in the basement and do jumping jacks/jogging in place/active movement to try and keep myself at or just below my target. I lost 30lbs the first time and 20lbs the second time. sadly I gained them back :(

This time I am actually not counting anything, but I'm using what I learned from my first two experiences. I still glance at the calories on a container, I look at the portion size I want and make it a bit smaller, etc. I've also started having a day where I eat fairly minimal (usually Sunday)...I'm very sedentary usually one day on the weekend and I might only eat 500-1000 calories that day intentionally so that I have a bit more wiggle room throughout the week. I know there's some conflicting feelings over this, but it works for me.

My weight loss has been slow, I started around the beginning of may and I'm down about 5lbs with 90lbs to go. Although its slower, I find it easier this time around, so far, because I don't feel tied to the numbers.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    intuitive eating is how i gained the 40lbs back
    so yes, i tried it. no, it did not work