Herniated Disc...but still want to burn some calories???

Hi all! I currently have a herniated disc and an annular tear in my lower back. The doctor has stated I'm only allowed to lift up to 10lbs, and no exercising or workouts. Walking is okay, but not for long distances due to the fact the herniation is pressing on my nerves creating pain in my legs. What are some things I can do while seated that can burn a few calories instead of doing nothing???

Replies

• duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    This is an exercise program aimed at older folks, but sounds like what you need right now: https://www.sitandbefit.org/
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Chair yoga?
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Stationary bike? I'd ask the doctor about it first, but the recumbent type is less stressful for my back personally.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    CaitM1318 wrote: »
    Hi all! I currently have a herniated disc and an annular tear in my lower back. The doctor has stated I'm only allowed to lift up to 10lbs, and no exercising or workouts. Walking is okay, but not for long distances due to the fact the herniation is pressing on my nerves creating pain in my legs. What are some things I can do while seated that can burn a few calories instead of doing nothing???

Doctor says no exercising or workouts, so you're going against medical advice?
  • CaitM1318
    CaitM1318 Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2018
    No, I understand why she stated this. I herniated my discs before so I'm all to familiar with what I can do and not do. I'm saying is there anything I can do sitting down that will not hurt or effect my back. I want to stay a bit active or as much as I'm able. I mean yes, I can be sitting and have light weights and workout my arms. But I didn't know if there was anything else like this.
  • LanaNoVeggies
    LanaNoVeggies Posts: 4 Member
    So I have a herniated disc in my L3-L4 lumbar and disc degeneration. The doctor told me years ago that I couldnt go for walks for exercise, no treadmill, no weights. Only the elliptical. I stuck to the elliptical for a while but then it got boring. I started walking and doing different exercises like yoga and pilates and the exercise bike. And I now lift weights (up to 20 pounds) It does aggrivate my back but I've been in the game for a while to know what helps and what doesnt. (since 15 years old) I found that losing weight has helped my back pain a lot!. How about some physical thereapy exercises? I find that they are very similar to Pilates. (IMO)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    O.P. Just a suggestion but, perhaps, you should have this discussion with your Doctor or Physical Therapist. But it appears you know better: "No, I understand why she stated this. I herniated my discs before so I'm all to familiar with what I can do and not do."
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Swimming might help you and will probably be one of the easiest things you can do.

If you can only walk for a while without rest, you might be able to walk a lot interspersed through your day.

Gabapentin is described as a "wonder drug," "from God above" etc by people with nerve pain. Hopefully your doctor already talked to you about that.

Wish you the best.

If you get to a point where you're able to work on core strength, that might help this I'm the future.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    You could also look into a desk cycle, although I'd encourage you to discuss any new activity with your doc and PT.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    CaitM1318 wrote: »

Doctor says no exercising or workouts, so you're going against medical advice?

Doctors give different types of advice. Telling a diabetic not to eat too many carbs is like an order. That's not what "limit your exercise" is for the OP. They also give advice, knowing about your condition and how the body works, they tell you things to do and avoid to help you deal with it. This doesn't carry the weight of doctor's orders, it's more like considered advice.

Long term, being ambulator helps people with herniated discs. Losing weight helps too, and there's only so little you can eat. I know this because somebody dear to me is going through the same thing. Debilitating back pain is terribly depressing and moving around helps counter that.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    I lost 4 years of my life to bulging/split disk. Between the two ops I had, I managed to do some weights, laying flat on my back. Generally, though, I wouldn’t recommend any exercise other than staying on your feet as much as possible.

• mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    This is an exercise program aimed at older folks, but sounds like what you need right now: https://www.sitandbefit.org/

OMG, this just reminded me--"Sit and Be Fit" came on our local Public TV Channel after something my kids liked--and I would find them following along to "Sit and Be Fit" all the time. It was so cute!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Your doctor said no exercise.... Listen to your doctor!!!! Screwing up recovery can set you back months and even years. Waiting 3 months to heal will produce faster results than permanently injuring yourself and never being able to workout fully again.

Heal, recover, then go back to working out.