Running and Sunscreen

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    +1 for Hat and sunglasses. My bald head still gets sunscreen (yes, even though I cover it with a hat), but the hat wicks up enough sweat to keep it from running into my eyes most of the time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I hate, hate, hate the feel of sunscreen in my eyes. I got a visor and some sunglasses with bigger lenses so I only have to apply it below my eyes. I burn really easily and this combination has worked well for me for years now.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Another vote for SunBum - and I do have sensitive skin and have used both the stick and the lotion without incident.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I use Banana Boat kids that I steal from my grandson :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    How long are you out for and how fair are you? Because honestly, if I know I'll be in the sun for an hour or less I don't even bother with sunscreen.

Eek... It takes a lot less than an hour for the sun to damage your skin

I'm an adult and understand that it's a calculated risk. But we also need vitamin D and you don't make it from the sun hitting your skin if it's always covered in sunscreen.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/benefits-of-moderate-sun-exposure

The article you linked does not advise people not to wear sunscreen. In fact, the last paragraph specifically recommends using sunscreen. The American Academy of Dermatology also advises that we should wear sunscreen to protect against skin cancer, and get vitamin D from our diets or supplements if needed (https://www.aad.org/media/stats/prevention-and-care/vitamin-d-and-uv-exposure). There are plenty of ways to get vitamin D without damaging your skin.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    How long are you out for and how fair are you? Because honestly, if I know I'll be in the sun for an hour or less I don't even bother with sunscreen.

Eek... It takes a lot less than an hour for the sun to damage your skin

I'm an adult and understand that it's a calculated risk. But we also need vitamin D and you don't make it from the sun hitting your skin if it's always covered in sunscreen.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/benefits-of-moderate-sun-exposure

The article you linked does not advise people not to wear sunscreen. In fact, the last paragraph specifically recommends using sunscreen. The American Academy of Dermatology also advises that we should wear sunscreen to protect against skin cancer, and get vitamin D from our diets or supplements if needed (https://www.aad.org/media/stats/prevention-and-care/vitamin-d-and-uv-exposure). There are plenty of ways to get vitamin D without damaging your skin.

I have a loved one who has had multiple melanomas removed (fortunately all caught very early).

Skipping sunscreen doesn't seem like a calculated risk to me, given how easy it is to supplement vitamin D. It just seems like a risk.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use a hat and only put sunscreen on below my eyes.

I do this when I exercise- and I use the neutrogena face shield oil free.

If i'm not going to be too sweaty I use it everywhere.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I wear hats/visors a lot, but some days I just don't want to.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Asian sunscreens all the way! It seems Asian consumers care a lot more about sun protection than American ones, so they've really perfected sunscreen.

I order a Japanese one off of Amazon: Biore Perfect Face Milk (the white one -- the blue and pink ones are tinted). I recommend it to all my friends, and the 5 that have actually tried it all ordered a bottle for themselves. I tend towards oily skin and this sunscreen is mattefying. It barely has any smell and it goes on very smooth and absorbs well. It doesn't feel or smell like you are wearing anything but maybe a very thin, lightweight moisturizer, and the SPF is pretty high! Plus the cost is reasonable -- $7 for a bottle that lasts me a month (I wear sunscreen every day for anti-aging purposes). I don't make a point of exercising with it on, but I have before and don't recall it ever running into my eyes. It does take awhile to get to the States, so I order 3 bottles at a time and reorder when I'm on my last bottle.

I have never found an American sunscreen that rivals it -- even the very expensive ones are just not as good.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Hat or visor for the forehead and only put it on the lower half.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    Anybody have a sunscreen they love for their face that doesn't burn the crap out their eyes as you sweat? Bonus if it is good with sensitive skin. Tired of feeling like I'm running blind for half my run each day.

Sun protection for me always is:
    • Visors by preference
    • Glasses
    • IF it is excessively hot - many of us where I live, wear balaclavas (like UA's HeatGear) and gloves. Looking like trail and/or road running mummies is sometimes our norm. The only gender determinants are body shape and the bun pony bumps.
    • Blue lizard (Australian) sunscreen all over my body. I have to watch the sunscreen I use because of where I live. If it has the wrong fragrance, it'll protect me from the sun and attract bugs - counterproductive.
    • Sun protective clothing

ETA: Insert links
  • ordinary1111
    ordinary1111 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    NO-AD is great at any SPF
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been liking these sweat-resistant sunscreens for my face (none sting my eyes):
    Kiss my face sensitive sunscreen spf30 - no fragrance, sweat/water resistant, combined physical/chemical sunscreen, moisturizing so it may feel greasy if you're a very oily-skinned person (I'm normal-oily and it's fine if I skip my AM moisturizer)
    Banana boat dry balance spf50 - fragranced (watermelon...kind of), exceptionally non-greasy for an American sunscreen, sweat/water resistant, chemical sunscreen