Is it bad to donate blood when you're dieting?

Options
Today I am given the opportunity to participate in a blood drive. A thought just occurred to me: is it unwise to donate blood while dieting? At first thought, I didn't think so but now I'm unsure.

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. Are you worried it would be bad for you health wise?
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    No.. It is when you have a cold they dont like for you to give blood. Or if you are 105 pounds, i think is the cut off. Not because you are dieting.
  • capNramsey
    capNramsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be a problem with it. I know the week before they like you to eat foods rich in iron.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Yes donate the blood. You cant when TOM is present.
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Actually- I just donated blood yesterday at my gym! They were there- I was there... I figured- why the heck not? So after I swam, I went and donated... I just had to consume some juice that I normally wouldn't drink because of the sugar content... and a couple of cookies. I just made sure I logged the food in my tracker.

They also want you to drink 4 additional 8oz glasses of water throughout the day after you donate... so- that just adds to your water total... I feel perfectly fine today.

Good luck to you! Your blood will likely save a life!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    are you dieting or eating healthy? if you're eating below 1400 calories, you might want to mention that to them. But other than that, there is no bad time to donate blood - just make sure to drink extra water and don't over-do (after, have a glass of red wine on me)

Thank you for your donation
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ask the phlebotomist what would be a good 'recovery' foods. You may feel a little light headed but that is from donating blood and not from the diet (unless your diet is extreme). As long as you are healthy, you will be fine. Thank you for donating.
  • Latoyamary
    Latoyamary Posts: 140
    Options
    You should be fine, as long as your hemoglobin level is 12.0 and higher, your weight is above 120lbs, you are 17 and older, no history of HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, etc, haven't travelled outside of the country within the last six months, no recent tattoos and no prostitution. It is wise to eat before you donate. If you feel lightheaded afterwards, most likely they with give you OJ and cookies.
  • ckclontz
    ckclontz Posts: 68
    Options
    I've been the blood coordinator at my office for 10 years, and no, there is no reason to not donate while you are dieting, unless you have underlying anemia problems. If you are on a prescription iron supplements for anemia, please let your intake nurse know, as the type of supplement could disqualify you from donating.

Otherwise, make sure that you eat a good meal (or two, if donating after lunch) before you donate, drink lots of fluids before AND after, and you should be fine.

You have to be in "general" good health, at least 16 years old (with parental consent), and a minimum of 110 pounds. Thank you for saving lives!!!

Good luck and good health! :)
  • cmsiemsen
    cmsiemsen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much! I love donating blood: people need it!
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere very recently (it might have even been on MFP) that donatng blood burns 600 calories!