Pullup game getting weaker

Options
So last week or 2, I've been consistently doing 3-5 pullup easily. Now i can barely do 2... ive checkes my weight and its typically the same, even sometimes lighter and it just wont work... am i getting weaker by losing muscle even though i lift weights? I dont know if its an off day because i tried 3 different days, same results.

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Pull ups are tough. Very tough. Probably the hardest body weight exercise you can do. I've been at them for 3 years and generally if I can do 5 it's a miracle. Your muscles probably were just tired/overworked. Try something as a warm up next time and get plenty of rest the night before.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Warmed*

I do them every session. Two days a week with added weight and one day just body weight shooting for speed and max reps. One of the things I've noticed is that for me, if I don't breath properly I get gassed early. I like to kinda hyper-ventilate and get my blood flooded with oxygen right before the attempt and make sure I get a big deep breath on the way down and get it all out on the way up. When I start losing steam I may pause at the bottom for a couple of seconds and get a couple of deep breaths in before I start pulling again.... sounds odd maybe, but it means the difference of a 3-5 pullups for me on a max attempt.
  • jseams1234
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Warmed*

I do them every session. Two days a week with added weight and one day just body weight shooting for speed and max reps. One of the things I've noticed is that for me, if I don't breath properly I get gassed early. I like to kinda hyper-ventilate and get my blood flooded with oxygen right before the attempt and make sure I get a big deep breath on the way down and get it all out on the way up. When I start losing steam I may pause at the bottom for a couple of seconds and get a couple of deep breaths in before I start pulling again.... sounds odd maybe, but it means the difference of a 3-5 pullups for me on a max attempt.

Do you do them first thing in the gym or like after some exercises or at end and why

I do them after Bench Press. I also have a significant warm-up for them since my elbows are always crunchy. I'll use the lat machine and do 10 reps at 130, then 8 reps at 150, 5 reps at 170 and then 3 at 200 and 2 at 220. Rest a few minutes and then hit the bar.
  • paulmwood
    paulmwood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A good approach to improving pull ups is to gradually add volume, rather than doing all-out sets, which you're likely to plateau on fairly quickly. This may be what happened in your case.

If you're struggling to get 3 reps, I'd suggest doing lots of singles spread throughout your workout, so you might initially aim for, say, 10x1. Make sure all of these are perfect, from dead hang, if they start to turn into grinders, call it a day. Add a set or two each workout, until you get to, say, 20x1, then start doing doubles and work back up again, then triples etc. After a few weeks of this, take a few days off and retest your max.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Some days and weeks are just weaker. On a good day/week I can do 10. On an average week 7-8. On a bad week 5-6. It just varies between how much rest I've had, hand placement, what stage in my workout I'm doing them, etc. You might also want to check if you have any vitamin deficiencies. Check your Vit. D and B levels especially as well as your iron. Dehydration and anemia can have a huge effect.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    paulmwood wrote: »
    A good approach to improving pull ups is to gradually add volume, rather than doing all-out sets, which you're likely to plateau on fairly quickly. This may be what happened in your case.

If you're struggling to get 3 reps, I'd suggest doing lots of singles spread throughout your workout, so you might initially aim for, say, 10x1. Make sure all of these are perfect, from dead hang, if they start to turn into grinders, call it a day. Add a set or two each workout, until you get to, say, 20x1, then start doing doubles and work back up again, then triples etc. After a few weeks of this, take a few days off and retest your max.

This is great advice.

• Spliner1969
    Options

That's an interesting approach, I'll have to try it as well. I can do 1 perfect pull up just about any time I want, it's more than that that start to wear me down. By the time I hit the third it's not clean at all, and anything more is just plain sloppy.
    One of the things I've noticed is that for me, if I don't breath properly I get gassed early. I like to kinda hyper-ventilate and get my blood flooded with oxygen right before the attempt and make sure I get a big deep breath on the way down and get it all out on the way up. When I start losing steam I may pause at the bottom for a couple of seconds and get a couple of deep breaths in before I start pulling again.... sounds odd maybe, but it means the difference of a 3-5 pullups for me on a max attempt.

I've also never thought about breathing technique when doing pull ups. That's something else I'm going to try.

Thanks to the OP for the question, lots of great info here.

Now if someone can tell me how to get past a bout of tennis elbow I've managed to give myself attempting more than 4-5 pull ups hah. I think some days my body is just telling me "hey doofus, stop trying to do those!".
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've slowly been progressing on pull-up over the last few months, I can now do 3 sets of 5, is now the right time to add weight rather than up the reps?
  • mom23mangos
    Options

That's an interesting approach, I'll have to try it as well. I can do 1 perfect pull up just about any time I want, it's more than that that start to wear me down. By the time I hit the third it's not clean at all, and anything more is just plain sloppy.
    One of the things I've noticed is that for me, if I don't breath properly I get gassed early. I like to kinda hyper-ventilate and get my blood flooded with oxygen right before the attempt and make sure I get a big deep breath on the way down and get it all out on the way up. When I start losing steam I may pause at the bottom for a couple of seconds and get a couple of deep breaths in before I start pulling again.... sounds odd maybe, but it means the difference of a 3-5 pullups for me on a max attempt.

I've also never thought about breathing technique when doing pull ups. That's something else I'm going to try.

Thanks to the OP for the question, lots of great info here.

Now if someone can tell me how to get past a bout of tennis elbow I've managed to give myself attempting more than 4-5 pull ups hah. I think some days my body is just telling me "hey doofus, stop trying to do those!".

I've got you covered there! Go get an elbow tendon strap. Did wonders for me. I actually got a large and used it up near my armpit for a while to help with some shoulder tendonitis.

https://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Elbow-Strap-Tendonitis-Tennis/dp/B002DPJEW0

• jseams1234
    Options
    dalerst wrote: »
    I've slowly been progressing on pull-up over the last few months, I can now do 3 sets of 5, is now the right time to add weight rather than up the reps?

I didn't start adding weight until I could do 10 strict dead hangs. Then I'd add only enough weight that I could still get at least 5. I'd keep that weight until I'd get back up to 10 then add some more weight.

I use those straps that @mom23mangos mentioned on both arms. I have for a while now... they really do work wonders. I also use Cobra Grips (Versa knockoff) on days when my tendinitis is really bothering me.

• Spliner1969
    Options
    @mom23mangos and @jseams1234 thank you both! I will give it a shot. Been dealing with it for probably about six months now. I'll quit using the arm for several weeks last fall and it got better then as soon as I start up again.. bam it's an issue. Been working on technique which helps but it's still a problem. Hopefully those straps will help! Ordering one today.
  • paulmwood
    paulmwood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For tennis / golfer's elbow issues, using a neutral (hammer) grip can help to not aggravate it.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    A lot of great advice in this thread. One thing I've been doing recently since I've started doing heavy dead lifts is using weight lifting chalk. This chalk is really helpful on pull ups as well. Having the extra grip strength makes me feel stronger and more confident through out the set maybe gets me an extra rep or so.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    For tennis / golfer's elbow issues, using a neutral (hammer) grip can help to not aggravate it.

Gonna need to get a new bar for that. But you may very well be right. My first one was a removable one that had those grips, but I gave it away and installed a bar in a doorway that also folds down to do rows. I'll have to go shopping ;)
  • mom23mangos
    Options

Gonna need to get a new bar for that. But you may very well be right. My first one was a removable one that had those grips, but I gave it away and installed a bar in a doorway that also folds down to do rows. I'll have to go shopping ;)

Get rings instead if you can. You can just hang them from your existing bar. That way your wrists will just automatically move to the most ergonomic position.
  • mom23mangos
    Options

Just wanted to say thanks for this advice. Today instead of trying for sets of 10 reps, I did 10 sets of 5 reps. I was able to get in a lot more volume while keeping my form good.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    I've got you covered there! Go get an elbow tendon strap. Did wonders for me. I actually got a large and used it up near my armpit for a while to help with some shoulder tendonitis.

https://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Elbow-Strap-Tendonitis-Tennis/dp/B002DPJEW0

Strap arrived Saturday and it works wonders. I can't believe what a little pressure does for that issue. Thank you! Have not tested pull ups just yet, took a few weeks off those to hopefully let this heal, but was noticing it more and more just lifting free weights and the pain is gone with that strap on. I guess time will tell if it's actually solving anything long term but love the strap so far.