2»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    what were they using BEFORE?

this is part of why i dont eat fast food llolololol

Frozen. McDonalds burger patties are just frozen beef.

I’m not sure I’d notice a difference since I use frozen beef to make burgers at home.

yeah most of my meat is frozen at home too.

whatever. i still dont like mcdonalds lol

Yes, I wonder what else is in the McD frozen ground beef to make it taste so different from when I use ground beef from the supermarket that I froze and defrosted.

(I stopped eating fast food burgers some time ago after watching "Food Inc" but occasionally have a bit of my OH's to check that they still taste terrible.)

Looks like they stopped using Pink Slime in 2012: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/legal-separation/

yeah .... their beef doesnt taste like i buy, and its not like im buiying high end ground angus or anything lololol

BUT i dont like fast food in general. If i HAVE to ill eat from certain chains (wendys is okay and BK if i have to). but not mcdonalds. i can do their breakfast if need be but i think everything they have tastes the same. and tastes gross.

i just want to say how thankful i am my fiance thinks fast food is as yucky as i do (and no hes not on a diet, quite the opposite actually lololol)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Had one a couple weekends ago for dinner when we were road tripping to Tuscon. I can't tell you if it was any different as that was my first McDonald's in a couple of years...all I know is that it wasn't particularly filling...I was still hungry.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    You couldn't pay me to eat that crap! lol

I'd rather eat road kill... :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I love McDonald's for an occasional treat but for some reason it always upsets my stomach! Any other fast food place is ok but Macs,,ugh

It's likely the fat content. Their burger is something like 70ish percent lean, and they cook it on a flat top soaked in the grease of all the other burgers they've cooked that day lol. Then they toss the buns on that same grease to toast them.. yum.. lol. But it's a fat/grease overload and if you're used to leaner meats for your journey to a healthier you.. then yea, that's why I can rarely eat McDonalds these days as well. My stomach hates me afterward for a couple of days lol.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I love McDonald's for an occasional treat but for some reason it always upsets my stomach! Any other fast food place is ok but Macs,,ugh

It's likely the fat content. Their burger is something like 70ish percent lean, and they cook it on a flat top soaked in the grease of all the other burgers they've cooked that day lol. Then they toss the buns on that same grease to toast them.. yum.. lol. But it's a fat/grease overload and if you're used to leaner meats for your journey to a healthier you.. then yea, that's why I can rarely eat McDonalds these days as well. My stomach hates me afterward for a couple of days lol.

Our local greasy spoon diner cooks their burgers this way :yum: Soooo good.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Alrighty then. I got in my car and headed straight for Mickey Dee's. Ayup. I tried one. It wasn't too bad and I shared it with my dog. Talk about the power of suggestion. There was a line all around the block, tourists galore passing through, boatloads of cars, kids and dogs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

I’m not sure I’d notice a difference since I use frozen beef to make burgers at home.

Yes, I wonder what else is in the McD frozen ground beef to make it taste so different from when I use ground beef from the supermarket that I froze and defrosted.

(I stopped eating fast food burgers some time ago after watching "Food Inc" but occasionally have a bit of my OH's to check that they still taste terrible.)

Looks like they stopped using Pink Slime in 2012: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/legal-separation/

Salt, and high fat. Most supermarkets don't sell anything "hotter" than 80% lean. I believe McDonald's uses 73%.

I don't think higher fat is it. I think that would add more flavor, not less. I usually get 85%.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Salt, and high fat. Most supermarkets don't sell anything "hotter" than 80% lean. I believe McDonald's uses 73%.

I don't think higher fat is it. I think that would add more flavor, not less. I usually get 85%.

If it was higher fat, wouldn't it help keep you full longer, not shorter as many claim? The last time I ate McDonalds, I got sick too. I think they mix their meat with something else. I'm not saying chemicals or anything, but something else that changes the flavor. I always thought McDonald's had a strange sweet taste to it. I'm just guessing, but maybe corn or something other starch/carbohydrate?
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    McDonalds doesn’t add anything to their burger patties except salt (and pepper?), so they’re not mixing it with anything. It’s just beef.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    McDonalds doesn’t add anything to their burger patties except salt (and pepper?), so they’re not mixing it with anything. It’s just beef.

or "beef". There's no way to be certain.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried them yet? I wonder how they stack up against Wendy's, who also use fresh beef and are delicious.

bido7i7.jpg

havent tried one yet. my daughter worked at wendys and their beef does not come raw and refrigerated on trucks its frozen patties. they say never frozen. they are full of it.fresh patties woouldnt last long so the truck would have to com in more often. not very cost effective either for all those deliveries.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

or "beef". There's no way to be certain.

I knew someone who worked at a meat packing plant where they also packed for McDonalds. The beef they packed for McDonalds was exactly the same beef they packed for grocery stores, the only difference was the McDonalds patties were pressed very thin so they cook quickly.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried them yet? I wonder how they stack up against Wendy's, who also use fresh beef and are delicious.

bido7i7.jpg

havent tried one yet. my daughter worked at wendys and their beef does not come raw and refrigerated on trucks its frozen patties. they say never frozen. they are full of it.fresh patties woouldnt last long so the truck would have to com in more often. not very cost effective either for all those deliveries.

I worked at Wendys in the 80s and the beef didn't come in frozen. Maybe that's changed, I guess.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

bido7i7.jpg

I worked at Wendys in the 80s and the beef didn't come in frozen. Maybe that's changed, I guess.

It was fresh in the 90s too. 3 or 4 trucks a week. Chicken was frozen and the fries. But the beef was fresh.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

bido7i7.jpg

I dont know about the 80s. I didnt know anyone that worked there. I also had a friend of ours go into wendys before my daughter worked there and ask them how the patties came in. he asked if they were fresh never frozen. one guy said no. the other one had no idea what to answer