Hello all

Options
I'm fairly new to maintenance. I made my goal about a month and a half ago. I'm that person who has lost this weight at least 4 times, and gained it back by a few years out. So I'm trying again. I'm female and 62 years old. I've weighed as high as 226 lbs, and as low as 122lbs. over the many diets. Currently I'm at 132 lbs. which is within normal range for BMI, and about where my doctor thinks I should be. I don't want to yo-yo anymore!!!!! I've been keeping the calories between 900-1100 a day, with occasional blow out days. I walk/jog 3 miles a day and bike at least 12 miles several times a week. So far so good. My only fear, right now, is that I am 62, at least for another 2 months. My hip kills me after biking far, yesterday I did 14 miles and felt great, but then my hip kept me up all night. My knees are starting to rebel as well. Is it a matter of just hanging in there with the exercise? Any thoughts are welcome.

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    The knees and hips could just be a function of ensuring you are doing a proper warm-up and stretching really well afterwards? I've found that the older I get the more I need to do both of those things for longer and longer. Nutrition does play a part in joint health as well.

I would recommend not doing any one activity on back to back days (so if its jogging, take a day off between runs) and make sure you have a true rest day once a week to let your body just chill.

Congrats on the weight loss, too!
  • richandmarieb
    richandmarieb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks. When I say blow out days, I mean I might have an extra 200 calories, not really a blow out. And no, I never stretch before or after. Guess I should start!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I’m 62 and 5’2”. About a decade ago I cut out gluten and within a week I stopped getting woken up in the middle of the night with a throbbing knee. Just a suggestion.

I use a stationary bike 4 mornings a week and go 10 miles. I do a weight and workout class 2 nights a week. I stick to around 1200 calories a day.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hi, there. I am heading towards almost 72 and work out 5x/week: cardio, Pilates, weights, walking, biking. I've been in maintenance for 3 years, on MFP for 6, and an exerciser for my whole life. What I would say, from the vantage point of my age and experience is: listen to your body. If you were that heavy once (226), it would have had an impact on your knees, esp. if you have yo-yo'ed. Stretching after exercise is important, but taking days off is also important. Work into your weeks a day or so off. For instance, I do not workout at all on Thursdays and Sundays. It is what works in my schedule and gives my body time to restore itself. You are heading into the age where knee and hip issues can become serious, so be cautious about that. I agree with some of the other posters that your calorie amount seems awfully low. Try to re-examine that as well. I'm only 5'0" and my maintenance calories run about 1500-1800.
  • richandmarieb
    Options
    Thanks guys, especially you golden girls. You are great inspirations. I failed to mention that I am short. 5'2" on a really good day. Osteoporosis has stolen a little off that. My biking and walking are nearly always outdoors, on back roads. I am still trying to find a calorie number that works as far as maintenance goes. My BMR is about 1100, but I'm still nervous to go that high routinely. I know, especially on m bike days, that I burn an additional 600 cals or more. Those are the days I tend to eat more, maybe as high as 1500. So I'm learning. @jrwms714 and @fiddletime you are my hero!!!! It's good to see that I can look forward to being active even as I age. Be blessed!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,787 Member
    Options
    Hi Marie, nice to meet you.One thing I have found is that even tho we are aging (59 here) our bodies are wonderfully adaptive. I am also short 5'2 minus whatever shrinkage old age has done (about 1/4 in according to doc). In maintenance I have noticed that I can slowly INCH my calories upward (say 100 every other week or so) and although there is no science to my experience that I know of, I can get more energy and maintain at a higher range than I would expect. I am lighter than you by a bit and really only a couple years younger so I think as active as you seem to be, your intake seems low. One thing I do know is that everyone is of course different and what applies to me may not to you. But I do like the idea of having more energy and more "bounce" in my step.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Hi!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Since I got Woo’d I should clarify that 1200 calories is without exercise in slooow weight loss, and I eat back about half my exercise calories. My maintenance seems to be about 1350 but I’m currently losing a few pounds to get back to my normal range. It takes some tweaking and you can figure out the amount of calories that allows you to feel satiated but maintain.

If you are getting lots of strenuous exercise don’t be afraid to eat some calories back! You’re burning them off after all.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @richandmarieb first, congratulations on hitting your goal. I’m a fellow yo-yo’r and understand how difficult it is to maintain. I also understand pushing your body to the point of pain.

You lost the weight, so clearly you have a handle on nutrition. But maintenance is its own beast. Here are a few things that have helped me....(and trust me, I’m still in the thick of it, often hanging on my my fingernails)

I eat WAY more fruits and vegetables to get more food for the calorie buck. Potatoes, beans, big green salads, melon, berries, apples etc). The fiber really helps with satiety.

I still run and push my body, but I balance that with pilates, Long walks, yoga, stretching and rest days.

I’m sending you an FR. Oh, I’m 53.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Congratulations with your weight loss. I turn 60 this year and last year I added swimming to my exercise. I love it. Especially the day after a big walk/hike or bike ride. It is aerobic, works arms, back and abs as well as legs. Maybe try incorporating a swim one or two days a week. I have never swam laps until last year and I love it. It really helped some beginning hip pain I was having last fall after long walks.
  • richandmarieb
    Options
    Thanks again all. You are my heroes!!!!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I find most pain to be a symptom of overdoing things, and ignoring it means more/worse pain and a longer recovery. Take your pain seriously-knee pain isn't DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, which usually shows up a day or so after exercise and feels better with a light workout). Both biking and jogging/hiking are very hard on your knees, so I agree that you should consider swimming or some other low/no impact exercise for a while, allow your knees and hip to heal, and resume the biking/jogging slowly after the pain is completely gone.

Pushing through "pain" is only appropriate if it is DOMS, and even then, pushing too hard can mean injury.

You've gotten some great advice, so good luck and keep us posted!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    61 here, in maintenance only 3 months and determined not to yoyo again. @richandmarieb when I get knee pain from running I am always afraid I will regain, so I understand. Being careful about eating for 2-4 days while resting the injury (ice, massage, extra and gentle stretching, biofreeze, ibuprofen are my protocols) is a small price to pay since my pattern was: go hard, get injured, stop exercising, eat like I still could run, gain the weight again.

Strength / resistance work in general to support and build the structure you'll use in the cardio sports is a huge plus. I am weak on that but working at it. It doesn't have to be lifting heavy if you don't like that. Resistance bands and a few exercises from a physical therapist could do the trick.

Your calories seem awfully low to me. I weigh about 127 and get away with 1600-2300 a day depending on the activity level. Desk job, but I move all I can. Remember BMR calorie allowance just keeps you lying down and breathing all day - nothing more. You need more calories than that just to get up and go to the bathroom a couple of times lol! If you have been restricting calories to 900-1100 most days, possibly some deficiency or just worn out low energy is playing into the pain you are feeling.

@AnnPT77 as usual had great advice about getting some medical help

I also take glucosamine chondroitin supplements for joint health, maybe it's woo but it seems to have helped me stabilize.