Macros vs calories?!

Options
Out of curiosity, who focuses on macros as a main priority & who focuses on overall calorie intake?!

Please share experiences and opinions!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To me calorie intake is the driving force for what happens with my weight so they have to be priority when it comes to my goals. Next I focus on my protein intake. Fat I don't worry about because I am usually in a good range and carbs fall where they fall.
  • LauraSrock18
    LauraSrock18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    To me calorie intake is the driving force for what happens with my weight so they have to be priority when it comes to my goals. Next I focus on my protein intake. Fat I don't worry about because I am usually in a good range and carbs fall where they fall.

Did you use the MFP recommended calories & macros when losing?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Did you use the MFP recommended calories & macros when losing?

I did when I started but had to adjust based on how much I was losing. Now I don't track at all but use past data as a reference.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I’d rather just track calories via tracking macros so I know I’m getting optimal macronutrient intake as well as hitting my desired calories through that
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Calories are king but I have been doing this long enough to know that I will easily meet my minimums for protein and fat and don't care where carbs sit.
    Minimum protein for weight loss is generally 1.5 grams per kilo of body weight or 0.8 grams per pound of GOAL body weight (or current lean muscle mass which is hard to work out).
    Fat minimums are 0.3 grams per pound of body weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tend to do macros first but only because when I keep my macros at a certain point, I am much less hungry and I eat less so I don't need to count calories in order to lose or maintain weight.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to dial in calories first, then macros. After that, you can worry about other stuff if you want.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I focus on calories for weight control (because calories are king when it comes to weight), and aim to hit/exceed my protein goal every day. I get plenty of fats in my diet, so no need to worry about that (fats are essential, though - it's good to get enough of them) and I let carbs fall wherever they fall.

Great guide for setting up your calorie/macro goals here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Both
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Could not have said it better!

The only other thing I try to watch is my sodium, but its more like I actively manage calories then I look at the end of the day just to see how my macros fell, and that's only every now and again. I don't manage my macros daily, just peek here or there if i think about it.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Both. Focus on calories, then try to get enough protein, and then make sure that my sodium is under budget. All three are equally important to me.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, who focuses on macros as a main priority & who focuses on overall calorie intake?!

Please share experiences and opinions!

I track macros first and foremost. I use a macro calculator for my needs and set it for weight loss and the calculator counts for calories already. If you follow your macros to the tee it will be in deficit. But you know you are balancing your macros and won’t feel deprived. I’m losing weight. I eat what i want. It’s not restricting at all.

• BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I watch both my calories and carbs closely. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic last summer (back in the normal range now by watching the carbs)...I don’t want to go back, or worse, let it escalate into full blown diabetes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I watch calories first (because they are the most important thing to weight loss/maintenance), and then if need be i tweak things to make sure my protein and fat is where it needs to be, carbs usually fall into place after doing this.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Dang, all these people worried about their sodium budget and I’m worried about NOT exceeding mine! 6-8+ grams a day crew!!
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Calories is king (for my weight loss or gain goal), followed by protein (in order to build muscles on a bulk and maintain them as much as possible on a caloric deficit)...I don't follow fat or carbs closely. I do make sure though that fat is not ridiculously low, but that hardly ever happens.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Calories are made from the macros.
    fat has 9cal per gram
    protein and carb have 4cal per gram

So watching your macros (in grams) is exactly the same thing as watching your calories.
    (Watching your calories is not the same as watching your macros)

Example:
    200gr carb = 800cal
    100gr prot = 400cal
    80gr fat = 720cal

Total 1920 cal

I watch (when I do) my calories only and try to eat less than 40gr fat as per doc orders. I'm not a big fan of proteins (I eat meat but I don't like it much) so I eat lots of carbs.
    I've noticed that if I don't watch my macros, more often than not, they are spot on as percentage.