Under eating

Options
AmandaTucker127
AmandaTucker127 Posts: 75 Member
edited June 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I've always had a problem with under eating, I have just always eaten unhealthy so what little I did eat was full of crap. Since February I've been eating a lot healthier foods and going to the gym. The problem is with the healthy food, I'm unable to hit my calorie goal, which was originally 1200 but with my macros adjusted is closer to 1400. I am struggling so hard to eat enough healthy food to hit even 1000 calories. On average I eat around 900cals a day, and burn over 500 in my daily workout. I'm always full, I feel like I'm always eating. Anything with the calories I need is unhealthy. I have started drinking a protein shake but it throws my macros off like crazy. Any suggestions on how to add more calories into my diet without stuffing myself to the point of being sick?? My body has adjusted itself to eating 3 meals, 2 snacks (usually shakes) a day when before just eating breakfast would make me gag, so I'm just really hoping my body will slowly allow me to add more calories...

Replies

• AmandaTucker127
    Options
    That's exactly what I'm worried about, is not giving my body enough fuel. But then I feel guilty if I stray from my meal plan. I definitely do it from time to time, I even have a "cheat day" once a week, So it's not like i freak out about that pizza or anything. I guess I just don't want something that's super fattening to fill in calories and blow all my macros to shreds.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter the most. If you’re logging everything as accurately as possible (are you using a food scale?) and still unable to meet your goal, add in something that’s a bit more calorie dense.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I've always had a problem with under eating, I have just always eaten unhealthy so what little I did eat was full of crap. Since February I've been eating a lot healthier foods and going to the gym.The problem is with the healthy food, I'm unable to hit my calorie goal, which was originally 1200 but with my macros adjusted is closer to 1400. I am struggling so hard to eat enough healthy food to hit even 1000 calories. On average I eat around 900 cals a day, and burn over 500 in my daily workout. I'm always full, I feel like I'm always eating. Anything with the calories I need is unhealthy. I have started drinking a protein shake but it throws my macros off like crazy. Any suggestions on how to add more calories into my diet without stuffing myself to the point of being sick?? My body has adjusted itself to eating 3 meals, 2 snacks (usually shakes) a day when before just eating breakfast would make me gag, so I'm just really hoping my body will slowly allow me to add more calories...

If you're not opposed to nut/seed butters, try peanut or soy nut butter or pumpkin seed butter ... as a dip or no bake snack options, with your oatmeal or as a peanut butter & jelly french toast option for breakfast , as a marinade or a salad dressing for dinner.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I'm worried about, is not giving my body enough fuel. But then I feel guilty if I stray from my meal plan. I definitely do it from time to time, I even have a "cheat day" once a week, So it's not like i freak out about that pizza or anything. I guess I just don't want something that's super fattening to fill in calories and blow all my macros to shreds.

How many calories do you eat on your cheat day?
  • AmandaTucker127
    Options
    Hmmm I never thought that was a red flag, just that I was having trouble eating enough. I'm always full, I eat when I'm hungry. It makes sense in a way because I did have some bad body image issues while in was younger. Maybe it's a subconscious thing going on??

• AmandaTucker127
    Options

I'm honestly not sure, I don't even log on my cheat days, just enjoy it. We usually go out to eat for dinner and I get a big ole steak and baked potato.
  • AmandaTucker127
    Options
    k8eekins wrote: »
    I've always had a problem with under eating, I have just always eaten unhealthy so what little I did eat was full of crap. Since February I've been eating a lot healthier foods and going to the gym.The problem is with the healthy food, I'm unable to hit my calorie goal, which was originally 1200 but with my macros adjusted is closer to 1400. I am struggling so hard to eat enough healthy food to hit even 1000 calories. On average I eat around 900 cals a day, and burn over 500 in my daily workout. I'm always full, I feel like I'm always eating. Anything with the calories I need is unhealthy. I have started drinking a protein shake but it throws my macros off like crazy. Any suggestions on how to add more calories into my diet without stuffing myself to the point of being sick?? My body has adjusted itself to eating 3 meals, 2 snacks (usually shakes) a day when before just eating breakfast would make me gag, so I'm just really hoping my body will slowly allow me to add more calories...

If you're not opposed to nut/seed butters, try peanut or soy nut butter or pumpkin seed butter ... as a dip or no bake snack options, with your oatmeal or as a peanut butter & jelly french toast option for breakfast , as a marinade or a salad dressing for dinner.

I added peanut butter to my protein pancakes this morning and it made such a huge difference! Not just in the calories, but it also helped me eat the entire portion of my pancake instead of just the half portion I usually swallow down. I feel like I've eaten too much but I know I just need to adjust to it. Thank you!
  • AmandaTucker127
    Options

I'm honestly not sure, I don't even log on my cheat days, just enjoy it. We usually go out to eat for dinner and I get a big ole steak and baked potato.

So more than 900 then?

Eating a snickers (or whatever 'bad' food you think you can't eat while on a diet) won't negate all the nutrition you get from the fruit and veg etc that you also eat.

Also, peanut butter is your friend.

I would think so! I don't eat a whole lot, like I don't go and snack all day long and just eat and eat bc it's a cheat day, but I also don't shy away from the good stuff!

I used peanut butter in my breakfast this morning and it made a world of difference!!
  • AmandaTucker127
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I added peanut butter to my protein pancakes this morning and it made such a huge difference! Not just in the calories, but it also helped me eat the entire portion of my pancake instead of just the half portion I usually swallow down. I feel like I've eaten too much but I know I just need to adjust to it. Thank you!

Are you having trouble finishing your portions normally because they don't appeal to you? If so, stop eating food you don't like! Food shouldn't feel like punishment just to fulfill your macros or some idea of 'healthy' eating.

I don't finish them bc I get so full. I guess the peanut butter just enough extra taste that I just kept eating it lol. I am paying for it though bc I feel like I ate entirely too much. I did have that problem when I first started shakes, I couldn't finish them bc they were so thick and disgusting, and filled me up before half a serving. Then someone introduced me to one that was more watery in consistency and tasted great and I can drink them down pretty easy now.
  • meridethcolville
    meridethcolville Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Are you having trouble finishing your portions normally because they don't appeal to you? If so, stop eating food you don't like! Food shouldn't feel like punishment just to fulfill your macros or some idea of 'healthy' eating.

I don't finish them bc I get so full. I guess the peanut butter just enough extra taste that I just kept eating it lol. I am paying for it though bc I feel like I ate entirely too much. I did have that problem when I first started shakes, I couldn't finish them bc they were so thick and disgusting, and filled me up before half a serving. Then someone introduced me to one that was more watery in consistency and tasted great and I can drink them down pretty easy now.

How much protein are you getting? Is 2 shakes per day necessary? Why not swap them for more palatable real food?
  • AmandaTucker127
    Options

How much protein are you getting? Is 2 shakes per day necessary? Why not swap them for more palatable real food?

That's a good point... I was in a weight loss challenge to lose body fat percentage several months ago and on their plan they wanted me to have two shakes. I guess i just got into the habit of having 2. My protein is set at 104g and I do usually go over it and way low on my fats. I'm going to see how that peanut butter balances everything out today and give up my mid morning shake bc I'm still feeling breakfast... I will figure out some kind of snack instead.