What Is the Negative Calorie Adjustment

Options
Can someone explain what the negative calorie adjustment is in MFP? I am currently synced to Fitbit with MFP.. ive been told i may benefit from the NCA but I dont have any idea what it is or does? In lamens terms too please ;)

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    karirenae wrote: »
    Can someone explain what the negative calorie adjustment is in MFP? I am currently synced to Fitbit with MFP.. ive been told i may benefit from the NCA but I dont have any idea what it is or does? In lamens terms too please ;)

Have you read the FAQ in the FitBit users group? I see you are asking a few questions on separate threads about your FitBit, it would be better to read those first and then combine your questions into one thread.

In short - a negative calorie adjustment helps make sure that if you are normally very active, on days when you’re less active that you get a negative adjustment to lower your baseline cals on MFP so that you don’t over eat.
  • karirenae
    karirenae Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So basically, i just need to keep my numbers in gree n correct? With the nca enabled?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    karirenae wrote: »
    So basically, i just need to keep my numbers in gree n correct? With the nca enabled?

You need to read the FAQs and answer the questions I asked in your other thread and then it will be easier to give you clear advice
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    You set an activity level on MFP that is your best guess of your average normal activity. But it might not be exactly right in the first place, and of course some days you’ll be more active than others, and when you do intentional exercise above and beyond that normal activity level you’ll want to know how many extra calories you can eat.

Your Fitbit will keep closer track of what you’re actually burning on each day, compare it to MFP’s estimate, and give you more calories on days when your burn is higher.

But of course that’s only half the picture for most people who are trying to lose weight, because generally we also have some LESS active days, and if all we do is eat more when we’re more active, we might wind up overeating. So there’s an option to turn on negative adjustments, which means that on those less active days Fitbit will take some calories away, to more accurately reflect your needs on those days.

It’s clock rolls over at midnight, so I wake up each morning with a negative adjustment of about 250 calories, but as soon as I get up and start moving around those start to come back. Each time your Fitbit syncs, MFP will give you a slightly different number. Enabling negative adjustments ensures that number will be as accurate as possible, even when it’s not great news. :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    MFP settings are baseline.

Positive adjustment means fitbit is measuring that you're spending more calories than baseline.

Negative adjustmentsvmeans that Fitbit is measuring that you've spent less than baseline.