What to classify my daily activity level as?

Options
I just started adjusting my life to be healthier and by doing this I’ve gotten more active from sedentary. Usually I flip between biking to work (around 20 minutes in all, around 5 miles total, includes hills), and on the days I don’t bike I go to the gym and work out. I go to the gym on the weekend too so I’m either at the gym or I bike to work. What activity level would you put me at? Lightly active?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your MFP activity level doesn't include your non-exercise activity. Other than the biking and gym, what is your day like?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Your MFP activity level doesn't include your non-exercise activity. Other than the biking and gym, what is your day like?

Typo there. Only includes your non-exercise activity.

So, just your activity without intentional exercise.
  • a5334131n
    a5334131n Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    On Fridays I have a desk job, but the rest of the week I spend around 1/2-2/3 of the time standing and the rest sitting, sometimes I’m pushing or lifting things around that can get pretty heavy, and some days I’ll spend up to 7 hours doing farming/gardening activities.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Typo there. Only includes your non-exercise activity.

So, just your activity without intentional exercise.

Oops, thanks for catching that!
  • categ78
    categ78 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I’d guess moderately active and log extra effort days where you’re gardening as your burn on those days will be significantly higher

And log your exercise too to make sure you’re eating enough
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I'd pick moderately active, log intentional extra exercise, eat a bit more on the exercise days and keep good records for 4-6 weeks. Don't keep changing it around or you won't know where you're at calorie wise.

At the end of 4-6 weeks, with good logging you'll know if you need to make small adjustments. If you make adjustments, give it another month before changing again. That's how you dial-in your own personal calorie goal. All the online calculator can do is get you in the general ballpark. It's up to you to fine tune your swing.