UGH had surgery yesterday-no exercise for 2-3 weeks

Options
I had same day surgery yesterday- small cyst on my chest (all good nothing serious (thankfully) just annoying and painful)
I was told by Dr yesterday no heavy lifting/weight anything other than walking for 2-3 weeks
I've been trying so hard to shed the weight and got back into exercising only 4 weeks ago
I've lost a few pounds and had a goal of another 10 by the end of August
I was working out roughly an hour a day and eating 1400 cals (im 5'8 and 150 currently w a goal of 140)
I'm wondering if i reduce my cals to 1200 for the next 2-3 weeks?
any thoughts on how not to blow the progress that ive mad and at least stay on track and not gain

thanks!
nervous
kim

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I would eat at a maintenance calorie and not a deficit. Now’s the time for healing. Get better soon.
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Glad it was nothing serious. 2-3 weeks is a small price to pay for something which (I'm guessing) could have been much worse. Do some bike riding, walking, and ease back into your routine when the time comes. You'll get to where you want to be, and a couple weeks isn't much in the grand scheme of things. Hope you heal quickly!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance! No joke. Your body needs nutrition to heal properly.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I’m glad it was nothing serious. If you have a post op doctors appointment, I’d bring it up with your doc. Cutting to a deficit could interfere with your recovery. Especially is they had to do some digging around to get the cyst’s feeder vein. Do the walking that you are allowed to do and leave the rest behind till you’re healed.

I have almost identical stats to yours. 5’9” CW 142lb. Seeing that you are at a healthy weight, that last few is going to come off slow. I was ok with that because I’ve been able to keep it off. 1400 is way too low for women our size. If I were you, I’d start eating at maintenance. Once you are cleared by your doc, set MFP to lose .5lb a week and let it come off slowly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Another vote for eating at maintenance calories. Best wishes for your recovery.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is usually a good idea when recovering from surgery or illness.

The longer it takes you to heal, the longer it will be to get back to your old routine.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your advice/feedback :)
    Just to clarify I don't track cals burned..I work out about an hour a day...light weights, crunches, strength training/toning etc...onlycardio is running errands, casual walk at the mall/w kids etc

I tried 1600 cals but the scale didnt budge...
    When i went to 1400 cals (and eating the right foods, I'm not hungry)...I was able to shed 1/2-1 pound a week
    I was discouraged at first but I know since I'm close to my goal weight it's going to take longer and I dont want to opt for a quick fix

Thanks again all..very happy it isnt anything serious
    Kim
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    Just to clarify I don't track cals burned..I work out about an hour a day...light weights, crunches, strength training/toning etc...onlycardio is running errands, casual walk at the mall/w kids etc

When i went to 1400 cals (and eating the right foods, I'm not hungry)...I was able to shed 1/2-1 pound a week
    I was discouraged at first but I know since I'm close to my goal weight it's going to take longer and I dont want to opt for a quick fix

Kim

Your calorie goal is even more concerning if it's not net.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Just keep walking if you can, eat at maintenance, and focus on healing, and do things you are comfortable with that don't impact the wound area (i.e., can you do squats or leg exercises?)

I just had carpal tunnel surgery almost 2 weeks ago today and was really annoyed about hearing that I would be out for a long time from any activity, lifting and push ups. I was truly afraid that I would ruin all my progress and more importantly would lose my motivation.

The days after my surgery I walked on the treadmill (keeping my hand elevated) and progressed a little more each day. I also ate at maintenance, and incorporated some leg and core workouts.

Long story short, by taking proper care of my wound, and focusing on being healthy (while limiting my activity), my hand is almost back to 100% after an open carpel tunnel surgery. My doctor was amazed how fast I healed. I think it had a lot to do with working out before the surgery and having good eating habits.

I too am amazed myself at how fast I have healed. I will start lifting again tonight, focusing primarily on my legs and core and will start incorporating light hand weights.

Listen to your body!
  • kimber0607
    Options

Kim

Not sure how to tweak it and hit my goal
    If I eat all healthy low carb meals/snacks..honestly dont feel hungry
    My hour work outs, to be honest, aren't crazy strenuous...not hard core....some yoga or strength training
    not sure how to go about figuring this out?
  • kimber0607
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    Just keep walking if you can, eat at maintenance, and focus on healing, and do things you are comfortable with that don't impact the wound area (i.e., can you do squats or leg exercises?)

I just had carpal tunnel surgery almost 2 weeks ago today and was really annoyed about hearing that I would be out for a long time from any activity, lifting and push ups. I was truly afraid that I would ruin all my progress and more importantly would lose my motivation.

The days after my surgery I walked on the treadmill (keeping my hand elevated) and progressed a little more each day. I also ate at maintenance, and incorporated some leg and core workouts.

Long story short, by taking proper care of my wound, and focusing on being healthy (while limiting my activity), my hand is almost back to 100% after an open carpel tunnel surgery. My doctor was amazed how fast I healed. I think it had a lot to do with working out before the surgery and having good eating habits.

I too am amazed myself at how fast I have healed. I will start lifting again tonight, focusing primarily on my legs and core and will start incorporating light hand weights.

Listen to your body!

Great job staying on track..like you said, my biggest fear is losing my motivation!
  • kimber0607
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Eat at maintenance! I kept eating at a deficit after surgery (laparoscopic gallbladder removal), and it was a Really Bad Plan. Fortunately, my body prioritized the healing, but I got weak and fatigued. It took several weeks afterward to recover. Please don't repeat my mistake!

Walking is also exercise, remember. I can't do a bunch of it because of a torn meniscus, but I'm used to a steady exercise schedule (rowing 3 days a week on water in summer, spin class 2 days, strength training 2-3 days). I wasn't allowed to do that for several weeks after surgery, so I figured out that I could gradually work my way up to walking for about an hour and a half daily, as long as I broke it up into two chunks, and iced my knee after. It was helpful.

Late in the recovery process, my doctor said it was OK to lift 5 pounds, so I asked if I could do that for reps. ;) She said "next week", so a week later I started lifting to boredom rather than lifting to failure, for the first time in my life. ;)

So, eat at maintanence, walk if you can, heal well, and you'll be back on your normal track soon, healthy, strong, and ready to resume weight loss.

Best wishe!

Sound good! thanks for the advice and glad your surgery went well...Ive had some bad luck with my current issue and i generally dont heal well, so i think its really important tp be cautious and let things heal properly
    just had a bit of a freak out moment earlier...thanks all
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Kim

My hour work outs, to be honest, aren't crazy strenuous...not hard core....some yoga or strength training

Set MFP to maintenance to start with.

Peanut butter and a spoon should do the rest!
  • kimber0607
    Options

Kim

Set MFP to maintenance to start with.

Peanut butter and a spoon should do the rest!

Thanks!

• BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would eat at a maintenance calorie and not a deficit. Now’s the time for healing. Get better soon.

I agree with this. It’s only 2-3 weeks, and walking is still very good exercise.