Keto Fat Choices

Options
i'm just starting keto and would love some friends who's diaries i can pick for food choices to meet the high fat/lower protein macros.
I have no problem keeping my carbs down but i'm really struggling with keeping my proteins low and still getting my fat high.
Suggestions??

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low protein is not a need of a ketogenic diet unless you have a health reason for it, like epilepsy or diabetics that find their insulin is still too high. Most seem to go with moderate protein which is often upwards of 2-3 times the recommended minimum intake of 0.36 g/ pound body weight.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    When I was eating medically therapeutic keto which as both low carb and low protein my primary fat choices were cream cheese and mascarpone due to their high fat, low protein content. Other fat choices were olive oil, avocado oil, mayo, butter, both refined and unrefined coconut oil. I used MCT Oil for a few months in the trial. While my N=1 is, I found no therapeutic benefit to MCT Oil, it was easy to "bury" in other foods (for the fat) without changing the taste (once I found 1 that was truly tasteless). Avocados work well if you are counting net carbs. I used heavy whipping cream wherever possible for the fat content.

My proteins came from basically fish and meat to keep the carbs low. Since you didn't mention whether your goal is therapeutic or nutritional, weight loss or maintenance I'll not expand on my opinions of protein levels. It is a highly discussed topic in the "keto circles". You might want to look at an epilepsy site for various types of ketogenic diets. There are keto diets that have higher levels of protein such as the Modified Atkins Diet.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Adding: I no longer eat keto so my food diary would be of little value. My keto experience was a 52 week trial for something other than weight management but it was definitely of the low carb, low protein version. Two good forums to consider joining are:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Low protein is not a need of a ketogenic diet unless you have a health reason for it, like epilepsy or diabetics that find their insulin is still too high. Most seem to go with moderate protein which is often upwards of 2-3 times the recommended minimum intake of 0.36 g/ pound body weight.

I'm quoting myself because I didn't get to finish my thoughts. :blush:

I wanted to add, if you do want to keep protein lower, be sure to limit lean meats or add mayo, butter or cheese to them. It's easy for protein to be lower when one eats regular ground beef as opposed to a chicken breast. KWIM? :)
  • Juliedungca
    Juliedungca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! My goal is body fat loss. I do a moderate amount of weight training so i don't want to sacrifice any lean muscle mass but I read sources that said that too much protein will slow down ketosis? If i'm gonna do this, I want to do it right...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi! My goal is body fat loss. I do a moderate amount of weight training so i don't want to sacrifice any lean muscle mass but I read sources that said that too much protein will slow down ketosis? If i'm gonna do this, I want to do it right...

You don't want to keep protein low, especially if muscle retention and being lean is your goal. And the only people who need to care about being kicked out of ketosis.are bodybuilders who are consuming like 300g of protein.
  • kpk54
    Options
    I don't lift or workout heavily so I'd not be a good one to provide insight on additional protein needs. Keto or otherwise. I personally wouldn't worry about being "kicked out of ketosis" by protein if your reason for eating ketogenic is not medically related. Maintaining muscle mass would be more important IMO.

There are loads of people in the general forums who have great accomplishments with their fitness goals. Hopefully they'll chime in. Until they do, Lyle McDonald has done some keto specific research so you might want to look at some of his work. Dr. Jeff Volek is a keto advocate but I think a lot of his work is endurance related. There is a guy Dr. (PhD) Jacob Wilson who has an interest in body building while in a ketogenic state. He has a few videos on YouTube. That might help get you started.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why are you choosing to go keto? Are there particular benefits you think it will provide you?
  • Juliedungca
    Juliedungca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why are you choosing to go keto? Are there particular benefits you think it will provide you?

I've met a bunch of fitness goals with traditional macros, but have somewhat hit a plateau and have friends that have had great success with keto. Trying something new on my body and seeing how it responds :)
  • Jrodasff
    Jrodasff Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I keto and I try to keep my macro percentage at 70 fat, 25 protein and 5 carbs. My diary is open to friends