What to do with Kale? I was gifted a big bag and am clueless.

Options

Replies

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The only thing I make with kale is a soup. It’s like a copy cat version of Zuppa toscana from Olive Garden if you’ve ever had that. It’s Italian sausage, potatoes and kale basically. Beyond that i dunno.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    Kale Caesar salad!

This is the only way I enjoy it. Kale chicken caesar with lots of lemon
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I wilt mine with garlic and soy. Because I love garlic and soy.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    My dad bought a couple of giant bags of kale on sale and gave one of them to me. I've never eaten kale beyond a few bits mixed in with a salad. I've surely never cooked with it. What do you suggest making with kale?

So? What did you make?

I sauteed it with garlic, lemon and a little salt. Then I put it under an omelet. It was tasty but I cooked the kale like I usually saute spinach and that wasn't nearly long enough. It tasted more like a hybrid of spinach and broccoli and it needed to be cooked for much, much longer. I froze a ton that I have left over and I'll try it again... but I may not go out of my way to buy more.

Pretty much every green is delicious with garlic and lemon, but yes, kale has to be cooked a lot longer. That's also why it holds up well in soups. Freezing it should break it down some though and reduce the amount of time you have to cook it.
  • WispyBlue
    WispyBlue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like kale chips. I also like to fry it with a lil but of oil, garlic, salt, and oyster sauce. Goes great with rice
  • WispyBlue
    WispyBlue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bit*
  • TWRUNNER32
    TWRUNNER32 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said salad. I like to mix it with green leaf lettuce and some parsley and then add green apple, blue cheese, and walnuts with a little red wine vinaigrette.
  • janicejean1953
    janicejean1953 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Make a soup and put it in soup like a chicken soup or put it in your protein drink
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Mix kale, broccoli slaw, dried cherries/cranberries and grilled chicken together with a light dressing of choice.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Give it to Guinea Pigs. Or make it into a Quiche.
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, massaged kale salad is the best! Start with kale in bite sized pieces, then sprinkle with salt, drizzle with olive oil and massage it for 2-3 minutes. It will soften and slightly reduce in volume. Then I like to add a "Just a Handful" packet of dried fruits and nuts from Trader Joes and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. My family actually requests this on a regular basis, it's so good.
  • joannawallace80
    joannawallace80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like kale cease salads. I make a homemade version of one I used to buy at Chopt all the time. I chop raw kale and romaine lettuce, and top it with grilled chicken, and the Panera at Home Caesar salad dressing. It is delicious!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    As mentioned above, massaged kale salad is the best! Start with kale in bite sized pieces, then sprinkle with salt, drizzle with olive oil and massage it for 2-3 minutes. It will soften and slightly reduce in volume. Then I like to add a "Just a Handful" packet of dried fruits and nuts from Trader Joes and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. My family actually requests this on a regular basis, it's so good.

Massaging kale helps because humans are actually not designed to eat kale. It's technically too tough for our digestive systems (which is why is gives some people tummy troubles). Massaging helps to pre-break down the fibers in the leaves.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a really good kale and sausage pasta that calls for a decent amount of kale. I am not normally a fan of kale, but I love this recipe.

https://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/rigatoni-sausage-kale-weight-watchers
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I like to roast it with cauliflower, sweet potatoes, beets and carrots.... and because I am who I am.... add a bit of goat cheese before serving :)
  • UtahSeth
    UtahSeth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kale is disgusting, blend it with fruit to boost your vitamins in a smoothy, steam it and then mix it in a STRONG soup, or feed it to food, you know like rabbits or deer, food LOVES kale.
  • chrishester1977
    chrishester1977 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Give it to Guinea Pigs. Or make it into a Quiche.

Ha. Whenever i buy Kale, i have to rush to eat it before my daughter feeds it all to our rabbit who absolutely loves it.

I love it as chips with a small amount of spray olive oil, salt, pepper and dried parmesan. Sometimes with cayenne pepper for a spicy change. I love the stuff, almost as much as the bunny does.
  • DawnRMarshall
    DawnRMarshall Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to make a salad with it, kale, sunflower kernels, sliced red onion, and the dressing is equal parts olive oil, braggs liquid aminos and 1/2 the amount of lemon juice, pour over and let sit for a couple hours before eating.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'd be inclined to use the scientific method: See how hot it burns.