HELP! Ready to give up. not losing weight

Options
So ive been doing MFP for about a month. the first 2 weeks i lost 11 lbs! but the last 2 weeks i havent lost anything! im so discouraged. whats going on with my body?

I eat 1300 calories/day and work out. Why am i not losing anything?? any suggestions before i throw in the towel?

Replies

• BRoth1987
    Options
    You say you are working out, are eating all your workout calories? Are you weighing and measuring your food? Your profile and diary are private so I can't see.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess without being able to see your diary, I'd say you aren't eating back your exercise calories. You're only a month in and it's only been two weeks of actively losing weight. So i'd say you dropped way too much weight in two weeks and your body is starving now.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories..??...You should, if you don't...Do you drink enough water..??..I drink a gallon per day...How is your sodium intake..??...Can cause major problems with water retention...Are the sugars you are ingesting from fruits, or are they simple sugars from processed foods..??...All of this can make a HUGE difference...DON'T GIVE UP..!!.. :flowerforyou:
  • lazybumnomore
    Options
    Don't give up! Try changing you workout routine and see if that works :)

www.youtube.com/lazybumnomore
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Also, you have to vary your exercise. Change the speed or intensity or your body gets used to it and you don't see as much progress.
  • kirsty0911
    kirsty0911 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If the picture in your avatar is you, I'd ask why it is you need to lose weight further. How much do you weigh, and how tall are you to begin with?
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I read that it's good to take off a couple days and eat more calories and not work out so much to get your metabolism going. I say you'd have to research that though. Also, are you changing up your workout? Muscles can develop "memories" and become more efficient when they do the same exercises.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't lose anything the first two weeks and just lost two pounds. Everyone is different and I wouldn't have thrown in the towel after just two weeks. I was exercising, not normal for me, doing 30DS and I read on here that many people didn't lose weight on it until the third level, something to do with muscles tearing and water retention or something, so I kept going because at least I felt good. Then after reading a lot on here I decided I would change my goals, so I upped my calories. Now I am down two pounds and am just watching to see if it sticks (it's been two days). If there's anything I've learned from reading here, it's that sometimes you have to adjust and then give those adjustments time to see if they work. For people with more weight to lose, the weight comes off faster (like my first 35 pounds did). With less weight, it comes off more slowly and may take more experimentation and tweaking. If you drastically changed your eating habits or something like that, those first pounds might have melted off. But now you might need to just be patient - they are going to come off, but probably more slowly, and you might need to take another look at your goals. But I certainly wouldn't throw in the towel yet. It's frustrating, especially if you have lost weight already, but I accept that there are going to be times that I have to adjust and wait a reasonable amount of time and either see success or adjust again. Hope hat helps you a little.

Edit: as mentioned, you should eat back at least 1/2 your exercise calories - depending on how high they are.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    1 month is nothing, and you say you lost some (look at it as losing 11 lbs over 4 weeks - that's brilliant progress!)

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Go get a tape measure and measure yourself, so you can track that.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    So ive been doing MFP for about a month. the first 2 weeks i lost 11 lbs! but the last 2 weeks i havent lost anything! im so discouraged. whats going on with my body?

I eat 1300 calories/day and work out. Why am i not losing anything?? any suggestions before i throw in the towel?

I lost 8lbs my first week, gained back 5 week two. your body is still getting used to the change and when you start losing weight, your body tends to freak out. don't expect to lose 11lbs each week, and have you measured yourself? when i gained back 5lbs, i lost 6 inches. you might be losing inches, and building mucsle which weighs more than fat.

Don't quit! that is absolutly the worst possible thing you can do. Sometimes, you just gotta roll with the punches and take it as it it. you'r body will calm down and be used to the changes youve made and let go of the fat.

It won't happen over night. Like, I know i didn't gain 60 lbs in a month, i did in 9 months, so it will take at least 9 to lose it
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    What is your current weight and goal weight?
    What is your exercise routine?

I also suspect that you are not eating enough calories but it is hard to say without additional info.
  • ido10612
    ido10612 Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This was very encouraging! You gave me a lot of great tips. Im going to rethink my diet and exercise plan today and plan it out for the next week. i think changing things up will trick my body and really help. And def drink lots more water. cuz i no i dont drink nearly enough. Thanks yall!!!!!
  • jus_me77
    jus_me77 Posts: 47
    Options
    Don't give up! I did and gained back everything in 2 weeks. Make sure you are eating your exercise calories back. MFP already creates a deficit for the weight loss in your calories.
  • KouklaTheo
    Options
    My advice, Buy a portion scale to accurately measure your food and a heart rate monitor watch to accurately measure your personal calorie burn. You did not reveal your stats but if you are shorter than 5'4, are very sedentary, and "work out" for less than an hour a day chances are your "net" is not what you think it is. Exercise charts and machines are notorious for over stating calorie burn. My personal observation is that those exercise machines and printed charts over state calorie burn by appalling amounts. I had trouble for years until I started using the MFP i phone app, a food scale, and the polar heart FT40 rate monitor. Once I did the weight came of very steadily because my numbers became honest. For example, the brand name ellipitical machine at my gym tells me I burn close to 600 cals in hour, but my monitor tells me 300. The treadmill tells me if I walk 15 mins at 3.5 mph I burn 150 cals, but my Heart Rate monitor reveals only 70. That is a huge difference! Those machine readouts are worthless for most people... It's sad because I am sure people get discouraged because they don't see the results they anticipate based on those faulty read outs.

If that fails, then see your physician for a thyroid check. Also see the book Master your Metabolism, in which Jillian lays out a profile of the blood work to ask for to make sure your hormones are not out of whack from too much dieting.

Good luck!
  • mcottle292
    Options
    Definitely don't give up! I recently went through the same thing. I lost 8 pounds the first two weeks then nothing, I realized I needed to eat more. I was shorting myself about 600+ calories a day, I wasn't eating my workout calories. Since I changed it up I have lost another pound. Good luck!
  • sedativestorm
    sedativestorm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! It took me 8 weeks to lose 9lbs! You just have to be patient and it'll all pay off. 11lbs in 2 weeks seems like a lot, your body might be going in starvation mode. Change up your exercises, your body might be getting used to them and they're not as effective as when you were first doing them.

Just keep thinking of that perfect wedding dress! :) When I want to give up, I just look at the bikini hanging in my room and get back on track.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "I just wanted to post something about what to expect during the phases of weight loss.

Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from.

Best health to you all!

-Banks
    "
  • dannylives
    dannylives Posts: 611
    Options
    Can someone please send me a message as to why I'm supposed to eat back the calories i burned off through exercise? It doesn't make any sense to me to consume calories that were just burned off. This is an honest question.