Keto...any tips?

Options
shyeatts
shyeatts Posts: 151 Member
I want to start keto on Monday. Any tips for me? I want to lose about 50 pounds.

Replies

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Beware of fads. Sorry to be terse. A LOT of people think keto = cool and have lost weight. It probably isn't the best nutrition for growing kids. Regular nutrition with limited calories for you could benefit the whole family.

I really like platejoy.com for planning and recipes. You can set it for keto if you want. I set it to low carb and am having great success and eating great food.
  • CaitMinusWeight
    CaitMinusWeight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's great you're starting Keto! There are a lot of health benefits to it and I think you should do what feels right for you. Just a couple of tips that I can think of off the top of my head:
    1. Know that your first week of Keto you'll lose mostly water weight.
    2. Always plan ahead for your meals and make sure you have low carb snacks at the ready! Being unprepared to start and maintain a Keto diet gets a lot of people their first or even first few attempts at maintaining the low carb lifestyle.
    3. Using platforms like Pinterest to help plan meals or find already planned out meals for the week is a lifesaver!
    4. Eating healthy is awesome, but adding in exercise will give better results. (You probably already knew that.)
    5. Some folks tend to think that once they reach their goal weight, that they can go back to eating how they used to. That really depends on how you were eating and whether or not you were exercising before. If you go back to high carb intake and don't exercise, you very well may gain the weight back.
    6. Always seek the advice of your physician to see if the Keto diet is right for you. People with Diabetes Type 1 & 2 have been known to benefit from the Ketogenic diet as well as women who suffer from PCOS, but the diet can benefit others as well!
    Additionally, I started a Keto Support Group a few days ago on MyFitnessPal and the group is already growing. Feel free to join, but no pressure. I just know that I couldn't really find a lot of support for Keto on the site and that's why I started it.

Hope these help and good luck on your weight loss journey! Go get 'em girl!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Learn how to eat less calories than you burn.

Being in ketosis doesn't guarantee that.

Here's how to use My Fitness Pal:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/

Best wishes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of other groups you might want to join on MFP too: Low Carber DAily and Keto groups... I can't link on this device but a search will find them for you.

Don't forget to replace your lost sodium. As was mentioned, you'll lose water weight when you drop carbs, as well as electrolytes. People often end up with low electrolytes, which some call keto flu, but it is entirely avoidable if you replace the lost sodium with 3000 to 5000 mg of sodium a day. For reference, 2300mg = 1 tsp salt. Many like to eat salty boullion, others just eat some extra salt, or salt tablets, and some make their own salty keto-ade drink.

For me, I found it easiest to cut out refined and highly processed carbs first. Then I cut grains. I then really limited my starchy root vegetables and sugary fruit. It worked for me. YMMV.

Good luck. :)