Eat healthy all day.... all week... weekend comes #cantstopwontstop eating sweets. Please help me.

Options
Someone help me figure out how to stop eating sweets on my weekend. I do IF. Eat really well no slip ups. Weekend comes. On my way home from work I smell pastries I see cookies and I can’t fight it. I eat like 4 cookies a bagel some cake .... what do I do....??

Replies

• itzmrfranco
    itzmrfranco Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens with me, I almost feel like it's self sabotage. But I have learned to take things in moderation there is nothing wrong with a cheat meal. Just try not to have it be your entire day. Try to eat healthy all day and then have ONE sweet treat or meal. Also, drinking a glass of lemon water before might help you to not over indulge and it will suppress your appetite as well (:. Hope this helps!

I will give it a shot. I tell my self ok one.... turned into 2... turns into 16.5... hoping this lemon water works thank you :)
  • itzmrfranco
    Options
    Do you want to stop eating sweets completely and forever? If so, why?

Intermittent fasting can mean so many things that it means nothing. Which "protocol" are you following? Why?

What do you mean by eating "really well"? What do you consider a "slip up"?

A healthy diet is balanced and varied. It's all about portions and proportions. No foods are off limit. Too much restriction and perfectionism and black/white thinking leads to all-or-nothing behavior.

I would strongly warn against having "cheat meals". You want to move away from your cheating mentality, not cultivate it. Lemon water also has no effect on anything (except maybe your tooth enamel).

I do 16/8. Works with my job. Law enforcement and do midnights. I eat balanced foods. All fresh cooked chicken,some read meat, fish, salads, plenary of greens and reds.. moderate amount of fruit plenty water. No processed foods no fast foods. For some reason when I smell fresh baked goods I loose my *kitten* and dig in like no other. And it’s not that I want to stay away from them~~~ I want to not eat my body weight in sweets lol. What can I do to limit the ammount in eat. Bc once I start self control is out the window.
  • itzmrfranco
    Options

Intermittent fasting can mean so many things that it means nothing. Which "protocol" are you following? Why?

A healthy diet is balanced and varied. It's all about portions and proportions. No foods are off limit. Too much restriction and perfectionism and black/white thinking leads to all-or-nothing behavior.

I would strongly warn against having "cheat meals". You want to move away from your cheating mentality, not cultivate it. Lemon water also has no effect on anything (except maybe your tooth enamel).

I do 16/8. Works with my job. Law enforcement and do midnights. I eat balanced foods. All fresh cooked chicken,some read meat, fish, salads, plenary of greens and reds.. moderate amount of fruit plenty water. No processed foods no fast foods. For some reason when I smell fresh baked goods I loose my *kitten* and dig in like no other. And it’s not that I want to stay away from them~~~ I want to not eat my body weight in sweets lol. What can I do to limit the ammount in eat. Bc once I start self control is out the window.
    You have a great set of habits. You just have to adjust your mindset a little.

Do you think that eating processed food and fast food, sweets and baked goods, no matter how much, how often, and what kind, is detrimental to your health? Do you still like those foods? That conflict is the reason why you lose your kitten. You can limit the amount you eat by thinking about it as *food*, and figuring out for yourself how often and how much it's reasonable to eat this and that. You want to be healthy, but you also want to enjoy that healthy life.

I don’t think it’s detrimental but I know it kinda messes up my progress. I just gotta find that line between what’s ok and not ok as far as quantity
    Thank you for the help :smiley:
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't do If on the weekend? or find something that is sweet but filling like pineapples and fruits?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

The diet you listed through the week sounds very low in fat (although I know what you've written isn't all-inclusive). Do you think if you loosened the reins a bit through the week you'd be better able to resist on the weekends?

Some people bank to calories to use on the weekend, but I find if I go too low through the week I just want to eat ALL THE THINGS come the weekend as well. I'm better off spreading my calories fairly evenly.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You could try introducing ~200kcal of treats a couple of times a week - feeling less deprived might make you feel less prone to bingeing. Or alternatively, keeping healthier versions of treat foods at home e.g. protein brownies that you can make, Halo Top ice cream, frozen yoghurt, fibre one bars - stuff that is still a treat but lower in cals and higher in micronutrients or protein - can help so you have an alternative that helps to keep you on track. Take a look at the kind of foods you are bingeing on. What could you replace them with? Some people find that crisps can be replaced with salty, crunchy snacks like pickles. Others find that protein bars or fruit can sate their sweet tooth. You just have to use some trial and error.

I absolutely disagree with the person above who says not to have cheat meals, for *me* they're an integral and useful part of my plan and they help me to stop bingeing. If need be then PLAN them out and have SET DATES - know when you're having your cheat meal and what you're having, don't just take them out of the blue. The idea is that you give yourself something to look forward to that gives you a bit of extra mental space, then you're back on the wagon the next day. Bonus is that lifts, training etc are usually a lot better the day after a 'cheat' meal/day - thanks, muscle glycogen :D
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Why is it on the weekend you are suddenly tempted to eat all the things when they are there during the week too? Are you being too restrictive during the week?
    What if you planned exactly what sweets you were going to have and knew it fit your calories?

Moderation can take the form of having a small portions of a food daily, having a food once a week, not bringing the food home or only making a small portion, buy a single portion of dessert at a restaurant instead of buying a dozen doughnuts. It takes practice moderating.

Log before you eat. Seeing the numbers might slow you down or help you make lower calorie choices.

Try eating slowly and really savoring the food. Like a food meditation. With each bite hold it in your mouth and really notice the texture and flavor. Maybe break it into smaller pieces of eat the food with a fork instead of picking it up and taking a bite of it whole. Focus on the experience of eating not the quantity. When you finish the item maybe set a timer for 10-20 minutes before having another. Next week maybe increase the time to 30 minutes between sweets. See if it helps you moderate.

Share your sweets. You get a taste but don't have to face a big pile alone. Hungry children/teens are great for getting rid of excess food IME.

Don't go to the bakery. Maybe you'd benefit from making your own sweets instead of buying them. Try lower calorie recipes and don't make huge amounts.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake/p1
    https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/g4099/healthy-cookie-recipes-to-bake/
    https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/12/21/cookies-recipes-100-calories/
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1681/healthy-recipes/low-calorie/desserts/
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Is that a problem? Check my diary. I am the candy carb king. But I manage to get protein and fat that's above minimum RDA most days, even if it doesn't make mfp happy with my percentages. Lately, I don't eat enough veggies, but of you go back a few days I usually do.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It helps me to plan for a small sweet treat every day, then I don't feel deprived.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid having just one for the same reason - it is never just one.

Maybe skip the baked goods entirely on most weekends. Treat yourself to something else like a big burger or steak dinner.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I try to work in treats every day. Sometimes a cookie or small cake. Other times a glass of wine with a friend. It helps keep me from feeling deprived and "going off the rails"
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    BecMarty14 wrote: »
    Perhaps it's a way you deal with stress.
    You go all week managing stress and maybe on the weekend you are ready to process things you've shut out.
    Maybe you could create a de-stressing routine to start your weekend.
    For me may be taking a walk, doing some yoga or listening to relaxing music.
    Once de-stressed, I find it easier to make the right nutrition choices.
    It seems like the loss of control is what worries you.

^^This. I see me in the behavior you describe, OP. I am aware that end-of-stress for me, the eating to come down off the stress or reward myself fr handling it or deal with the residual thoughts of OMG did-I-handle-that-OK is a huge pattern. I am one who doesn't gain while on vacation, I gain when I go home. The idea of destressing in some other way than food is just the ticket.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I tend to avoid having just one for the same reason - it is never just one.

Maybe skip the baked goods entirely on most weekends. Treat yourself to something else like a big burger or steak dinner.

800+ cals of a burger or steak dinner or learning how to moderate the intake of sweets to a single 100-200 cal portion....