Eat back walking/step cals

Options
SRJ5820
SRJ5820 Posts: 63 Member
Hi all. Am curious what thoughts are on eating back walking/ step calories. Little backstory. I lost almost 100 pounds about 5 years ago. Gained a little back each year, but tried to continue to lose but always was harder the second time around. I was still eating right, but the weight wouldnt come off as before. Anyways, unfortunelty I am almost back to as heavey as I ever was. I am currently eating my steps cals back, but always leave a 100 calories in the bank that I dont eat. Also, I lowered my suggestion cal consumption down by 150 cals. Last week I lost 1.8 which was great as I am set up for 2 pounds per week. This week I did great, but didnt lose any for some reason. Now I know that water weight, maybe it will be less tomorrow, all those things, but to not show any loss at all? Just so frustrating the first time around the weight came off almost as advertised. 2 pounds per week. I'm not doing really anything different, my body just doenst want to drop the pounds now.

So, I dont know what to do. Should I not be eating back step cals, am I not eating enough? I know that doesn't sound right, but at this point confused.

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    First of all looking at a difference between week to week isn't enough data to decide to change your calorie input. Our bodies are complicated and can react to environment certain foods, cycles.

Give it another couple if weeks then decide. I know waiting sucks.

In the meantime, be diligent about logging food and use a food scale to measure everything.
  • SRJ5820
    Options
    Oh, I know a week isn't long enough. I am very diligent about counting everything and weighing. Just frustrating when the first time around it was like clockwork. Lost nearly 2 pounds per week. But then each time trying to diet afterwards it would not come off the same way. It would be 1 pound, or zero, or maybe 2. I am really wondering if I am eating to little now anf my body is kind of freaking out and holding onto weight?
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    SRJ5820 wrote: »
    I am really wondering if I am eating to little now anf my body is kind of freaking out and holding onto weight?

Not a thing. Here's a good forum post on the topic: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SRJ5820 wrote: »
    Hi all. Am curious what thoughts are on eating back walking/ step calories. Little backstory. I lost almost 100 pounds about 5 years ago. Gained a little back each year, but tried to continue to lose but always was harder the second time around. I was still eating right, but the weight wouldnt come off as before. Anyways, unfortunelty I am almost back to as heavey as I ever was. I am currently eating my steps cals back, but always leave a 100 calories in the bank that I dont eat. Also, I lowered my suggestion cal consumption down by 150 cals. Last week I lost 1.8 which was great as I am set up for 2 pounds per week. This week I did great, but didnt lose any for some reason. Now I know that water weight, maybe it will be less tomorrow, all those things, but to not show any loss at all? Just so frustrating the first time around the weight came off almost as advertised. 2 pounds per week. I'm not doing really anything different, my body just doenst want to drop the pounds now.

So, I dont know what to do. Should I not be eating back step cals, am I not eating enough? I know that doesn't sound right, but at this point confused.

Your post gives no indication of how your are calculating step calories. If you are wearing an activity tracker synced to MFP, your added calories are the DIFFERENCE above (or below if allowing negative adjustment) your stated activity level. These calories are "safer" to eat back. In other words the calorie burn ESTIMATE should be closer.

If you are wearing a pedometer (not synced) then no, you should not be eating back a portion of your step calories because even sedentary people take steps.

1.8 vs. 1.5 vs. 0.8 don't worry about these numbers. Your body can be holding water weight for various reasons. This messes with the scale. 2 weeks is nothing.

2 pounds a week is a reasonable expectation if you have more than 75 pounds to lose. Even then 2 pounds a week is not "guaranteed" because 1200 calories is as low as MFP will go....for women. As a man you should be eating at least 1500. The smaller you become, the more weight loss slows. Lowering your calories, and then lowering them again may not be safe and lead to more lean muscle loss than you expect.

It sounds as if during your first weight loss, you were incredibly lucky. 2 pounds a week like clockwork has never my experience.
  • SRJ5820
    Options
    I guess I was lucky. It was pretty close to 2 pounds per week. Maybe 1.4 1 week, but then 2.4 or 2.6 or 2.8 the next. It was like clockwork. Now though its 1.2, 1.6, 1.8, 0, 2.2.

I am using the steps from my phone, and am syncing with MFP. So like yesterday I took 4254 steps but it added 359 exercise cals. Think I should be eating those back? Seems like quite a bit. The other thing I was thinking about was back on the first go around, I only ate back actual elliptical excerice cals back. Back when I started in 2013 I never counted steps. I am set up for sedentary so I think it is all set up correctly, again just frustrated I guess.
  • RadishEater
    Options
    Yes unfortunately with exercise logging that also requires patience and adjustment. Some people use step counters other people use heart rate monitors or fitbits, I have neither so I time my walks and look up the mileage and use the ~mph to log walking as I am also sedentary but like to go on walks. You should search the forums for people using step counters and how they set it up with myfitnesspal to make sure they aren't double dipping

If you are set up to lose 2lbs per week, I would not suggest lowering calories further and spend more time making sure you are accurately logging food and tweaking how you record your exercise too.

If you know your steps you took, you could enter it into a steps to mile converter than use that with an avg pace to see if it is giving you around the same calorie output, just for a sanity check.
  • SRJ5820
    Options
    I am accurately logging everything, beleive me. That's why this is so confusing and frustrating. In 2013/14 I lost 93 pounds in about 50 weeks. I am doing nothing different now, it just doesn't want to come back. In the last 4 weeks I lost 1.8, 0.2, 1.6, and now 0. That's why I am wondering if I was eating too few cals and that is the issue? I know it doesn't makes sense, but that really is the only thing. I don't eat the healthiest meals, and more sugar then I'd like, but the overall cals are low. I am netting about 1800.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female?

How many pounds do you need to lose?
  • RadishEater
    Options
    But you have lost weight in the past 4 weeks. 2 of the weeks you lost nearly 2 lbs. Forget about what happened previously even if you are doing the same exact exercises and eating the same thing it would be unlikely you would have the same weightloss pattern. Weightloss isn't linear. If you had lost 0, 0.2, .1, 0 then I would agree your process isnt working right.
    You can open up your food diary if you want people to agree that you a measuring food accurately.
  • SRJ5820
    Options
    I'm male, 41, 6' 1",currently 316.8 pounds. Would like to get to 240 or even 250. I don't think I'll ever get below 200. I got down to 226 the first time.

I get that I am losing weight, but 3.6 pounds in 4 weeks, when should have been 8 pounds is what gets me. 4 weeks ago I was not working unemployes, sitting around almost all day. Now I am getting at least 4000 steps a day in, but avg about 7500. I am also eating way less. "Theoretically" I should be dropping fast.

I though my diary was open, it was before at least. And I am not trying to sound like I know it all, but I do weigh everything and use correct entries.

There really is only 2 things I am not doing that I used to. I used to use the elliptical, but I ate back those calories. Also, used to eat breakfast but don't really anymore.
  • SRJ5820
    edited June 2018
    Options