FOOTBALL!!! :D Whats your go-to gameday snack!?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• KuhlFIT
    KuhlFIT Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Russ,

If it ok, I have a quick question for you.

When is it alright to cheat on your diet?

I seem to get off track and sometimes when I do I can go way off track. Sometimes, I have an easier time coming back from these bad days than others. Are there area's within your diet that are easier to give yourself a treat and not completely destroy the success that you have had?
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Russ,

I seem to get off track and sometimes when I do I can go way off track. Sometimes, I have an easier time coming back from these bad days than others. Are there area's within your diet that are easier to give yourself a treat and not completely destroy the success that you have had?

I have what I call a full Spike Day every week. It's not really cheating, it's a planned calorie surplus that gives us a mental break and spikes our metabolism up.

I've had one every week for the past several years and I've lost 130lbs and kept it off. When it's planned it's not a slip-up and you are much more likely to get back to normal the following day.
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    Russ,

I have what I call a full Spike Day every week. It's not really cheating, it's a planned calorie surplus that gives us a mental break and spikes our metabolism up.

I've had one every week for the past several years and I've lost 130lbs and kept it off. When it's planned it's not a slip-up and you are much more likely to get back to normal the following day.

This makes SO much sense! My issue is that my 'big calorie day's are NEVER planned...its alwas something that triggers me into thinking 'oh one day won't hurt'....and then the next day I find myself walking around feeling awful, swollen fingers, and a trashy feeling in my gut.

Thanks for the advice on a 'planned' day....
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Russ,

This makes SO much sense! My issue is that my 'big calorie day's are NEVER planned...its alwas something that triggers me into thinking 'oh one day won't hurt'....and then the next day I find myself walking around feeling awful, swollen fingers, and a trashy feeling in my gut.

When it's planned you have a day to look forward to, so you have a much better chance of being good before. Say you see someone with a donut, you can just tell yourself "I can have one in a few days" instead of falling of the wagon and giving in to temptation.

Also when it's planned you don't feel the guilt after, and guilt does as much damage to your goals as the calories do.
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    homemade hummus and pita chips or a whole wheat tortilla.
    apple straws and veggie straws are pretty delicious too!
  • ShelbyLB
    Options
    Russ,

When it's planned you have a day to look forward to, so you have a much better chance of being good before. Say you see someone with a donut, you can just tell yourself "I can have one in a few days" instead of falling of the wagon and giving in to temptation.

Also when it's planned you don't feel the guilt after, and guilt does as much damage to your goals as the calories do.

"guilt does as much damage to your goals as calories do"...AHHH I've never heard it said like this before but its SO TRUE....and it will DEFINITELY help me as I make my way through my 'get healthy' journey.....letting go of guilt is something I've struggled with, but am starting to see the importance of..:) Thanks so much!
  • ejackson127
    Options
    Russ,

"guilt does as much damage to your goals as calories do"...AHHH I've never heard it said like this before but its SO TRUE....and it will DEFINITELY help me as I make my way through my 'get healthy' journey.....letting go of guilt is something I've struggled with, but am starting to see the importance of..:) Thanks so much!

The reason a so-called "cheat day" is important is because of something called Leptin. Leptin is a hormone that helps jump start your metabolism. When you are on a calorie deficit diet it is easy for your metabolism to slow down; having one day a week with a planned higher calorie intake can help keep your metabolism on it's toes so to speak. The key is to still plan the amount of calories you will take in and not go completely overboard. Like Russ said, it's ok to have a donut on that day...just try not to have a whole box of donuts. ;)
  • ShelbyLB
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try to make my own chips to dip into something delish.....I've got some AMAZING low carb/low calorie wraps by LaTortilla factory that i'm going to bake into a delicious treat!! :D
  • ShelbyLB
    Options
    Does anyone have a delish recipe for 'lower calorie' barbeque ribs???
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Sunday Football day used to be a day when we made a huge bowl of queso and ate the whole thing (it's no wonder we got fat). But now we need a substitute. I promised the BF I would try to find a low(er) calorie queso recipe, if that is even possible. Any suggestions? I used to just use Velveeta and Rotel tomatoes.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    mmmm I'm wanting to try all these snacks! i love appetizers!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Pizza! I always go thin crust and mostly with only 3 toppings. Slogan for the 49ers this year "SUCK FOR LUCK"