What would you recommend to this girl? (its me a few years ago)

Options
alwaysbloated
alwaysbloated Posts: 458 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
5'8, 85-90kg.
Does she need to keep losing weight, or just build muscle?
Is it normal to have calves that wide at that weight?
What shape is she? an apple?
Does she look healthy?

Body achieved after losing 15kg on weight watchers and doing cardio

xdpfxqcghs55.jpg

Replies

• mariekenji26
    mariekenji26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    lose weight until you are happy with yourself. I thought I was fat at a certain weight and now that is my goal to get back to that weight. It's up to you, as no one else's opinion should matter more than your own. How did you feel at that weight? What was your energy like?
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I think she looks happy and healthy <3
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You looked pretty good to me too. Happy and healthy I right.

You could probably lose a bit around your trunk.... If you wanted. You have a nice shape IMO. Slim arms and your legs look good. I'd like more defined calves like yours; my bones are fairly broad so my knees are often bigger than my calves, especially in one leg where I have some muscle paralysis... I'd take those calves any day. :)
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Was she happy? If she was then I'd tell her she looks great. If she wasn't then I'd ask her what she wanted to change. This is all about you.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    mywayroche wrote: »
    Was she happy? If she was then I'd tell her she looks great. If she wasn't then I'd ask her what she wanted to change. This is all about you.

Agree! My immediate instinct when I saw the pic is that you look like a nice, fun person. I hope you see what's great about who you are!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    • She could keeping losing if she'd like, or stop and work on recomp (gaining muscle while maintaining weight).
    • Absolutely. Those calves don't look abnormally wide at all.
    • Human shaped. It does appear that she might carry her excess weight in her mid-section vs. her lower body, which would probably define her as "apple" but people aren't fruit.
    • I can't judge "health" by appearance. But she's probably on the high end of "healthy" on the BMI scale, and/or body fat percentage.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    With those stats a healthy weight range should be 125-163 lbs. 187 lbs is still considered overweight. The weight you feel good and happy might not be the lowest weight.

Yeah, I was definately still overweight. I've spent my life being at the highend of the healthy range, and I mostly looked okay.
    What does looking healthy mean to you? You did not look very athletic but did not look like you were about to keel over.

Yeah, I've been cursed with unusually low muscle tone. Would be interesting to see how long it would take me to get to a good level.
    If you are above that weight then it is a goal to shoot for. Make a decision as you get closer as your body will not be exactly the same as it was years ago.

My torso has changed since having personal training, less rolls, more definition (while still being big bellied).
    If you want a more muscular appearance than you will need to incorporate strength training into your plan. Don't wait until you get to that weight to start.

I don't think I enjoy strength training unfortunately.

I don't enjoy flossing, but I do it anyway ;)

What do you not like about strength training?
    1. Have you had at least a few sessions with a personal trainer? Some people don't like it because they don't know what they are doing.
    2. I liked lifting less when I thought I was supposed to do low weights and high reps because "bulky". Turns out I like high weights/low reps better and am in no danger of getting bulky, lol.
    3. I see you have been working with a personal trainer so am wondering if they are doing typical chick weight lifting with you. If so, bring up The New Rules of Lifting for Women with them.
    4. I also liked lifting less when I tried to do cardio in the same session. Both suffered, esp lifting.

Don't be like my mom and not pick up strength training until you are in your 70s and have brittle bones :)