Running and not losing

Options
123bean
123bean Posts: 27 Member
Hello MFP- i'm a runner and currently training for a half marathon. I run 6 miles during the week and do longer (8-12) mile run on the weekends. I've been training for one month. I have lost ZERO pounds. I'm at a loss as to what to eat since on weekends i burn so many calories. Is it possible to lose weight running? or is this a myth?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You have to eat less calories than you burn to lose weight.
    Keep track of your calorie intake. I am guessing you are eating at maintenance if you are not losing weight, eating the same amount of calories that you are burning through running.
    Are you keeping accurate records of everything you eat and drink and the calories you burn from exercise
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Running alone doesn’t equal weight loss. Check your diet. I just trained for and completed a 50k last weekend and lost 12lbs in the process.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    123bean wrote: »
    Hello MFP- i'm a runner and currently training for a half marathon. I run 6 miles during the week and do longer (8-12) mile run on the weekends. I've been training for one month. I have lost ZERO pounds. I'm at a loss as to what to eat since on weekends i burn so many calories. Is it possible to lose weight running? or is this a myth?

You cannot out train a bad diet (nor out run a fork). You have to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight, regardless of how much you run.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I can lose weight while running until my long runs get over 10 miles, and then the runger is too great!
  • 123bean
    123bean Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone. Yes I realize the RUNGER is what is getting to me. I also think once i'm running 10 miles I cant stick to 1500 calories or even more. I'm going to start tracking again- and then on SUPER long run days make that a cheat day or at least have a cheat meal.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone. Yes I realize the RUNGER is what is getting to me. I also think once i'm running 10 miles I cant stick to 1500 calories or even more. I'm going to start tracking again- and then on SUPER long run days make that a cheat day or at least have a cheat meal.

1500 Calories when doing a 10mile run is just crazy low. All I did yesterday was 12km and that burnt 900 Calories (hills before you ask), I ended up eating around 2200 just for a 250 deficit.
    Personally once my long runs get back up to the 17km+ range I'll be eating at maintenance or even a surplus so that I have enough fuel for both the run and recovery, which for 5'1" 148lb 46yo female me works out at around 2700-3000 Calories on a long run day. You get runger for a reason and my PT (who helps with my running training and nutrition) always tells me to listen to my body after a long run and to indulge the runger.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

On days that I'm running10+ miles I'll eat 1,000 cal for breakfast....you can't train for a HM on 1,500 cal / day. Running takes fuel. On long run days you should probably aim for maintenance and shorter days a very modest (100 or 200 cal) deficit.
    Running is not great for weight loss. Most new runners who train for a half or full will gain weight. Weight loss for running will occur around 65 plus miles a week. Those who are training at higher mileage are already thin.

If you want to be thinner for a race, you have to do that prior to starting the training cycle.

Where did you get 65 miles/wk for weight loss from? While I agree that it's hard to maintain a significant deficit in the latter stages of a training plan it's not too hard early on while the training volume is lower.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Everyone has said it.

Exercise alone can induce weight gain rather than loss. You are doing well to maintain! And you need good nutrition to do all that running, so at best you could try to lose weight very slowly. Plus, you are getting in great shape in the meantime.

Here's a brief article that reviews the science to back it up:

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/why-do-i-gain-weight-when-i-exercise/
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    while you are considering calories also consider the nutrition to help control the runger.
    you should be eating exercise calories back.

you can absolutely lose weight and train. i did it the first time around and am doing it again the 2nd time. though i'm not training for anything.