• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Despite the fact that idea keeps being recycled, I hardly ever see a low-fat product with more sugar than the full fat. I think the "low fat = added sugar" thing started when low-fat baked goods were all the rage in the 80's, like Snackwells. But then the whole "hidden added sugar" thing confuses me - I eat a reasonable amount of processed food, and I hardly ever exceed my MFP sugar goal.

Anyway, eat whichever version strikes the best balance for you. Some full fat stuff is worth the calories, some low fat stuff tastes great and so why not save the calories for something else. No worries :smile:

Exactly what I was going to say. The myth that low fat foods must contain added sugar is almost as annoying as the belief that diet soda contains excessive sodium.

Is it a myth when it comes to baked goods though? I'm familiar with the Snackwells example. I don't buy baked goods so am not familiar with low fat baked goods.

I very rarely see baked goods labeled low fat anymore and I would never think of picking them up anyway, so I'm really not sure. That's why I wonder if it's really true for much of anything anymore.

Even low fat PB only has like 1g more sugar per serving than reg.

There is low fat peanut butter?! Huh. Is it spreadable? I've never seen it before.

Lol I've never tried it, I can't imagine the texture is right!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Despite the fact that idea keeps being recycled, I hardly ever see a low-fat product with more sugar than the full fat. I think the "low fat = added sugar" thing started when low-fat baked goods were all the rage in the 80's, like Snackwells. But then the whole "hidden added sugar" thing confuses me - I eat a reasonable amount of processed food, and I hardly ever exceed my MFP sugar goal.

Anyway, eat whichever version strikes the best balance for you. Some full fat stuff is worth the calories, some low fat stuff tastes great and so why not save the calories for something else. No worries :smile:

Exactly what I was going to say. The myth that low fat foods must contain added sugar is almost as annoying as the belief that diet soda contains excessive sodium.

Is it a myth when it comes to baked goods though? I'm familiar with the Snackwells example. I don't buy baked goods so am not familiar with low fat baked goods.

I very rarely see baked goods labeled low fat anymore and I would never think of picking them up anyway, so I'm really not sure. That's why I wonder if it's really true for much of anything anymore.

There is low fat peanut butter?! Huh. Is it spreadable? I've never seen it before.

I love all types of pb but my favorite is reduced fat jif because of the texture. It makes it even better. Very easy to spread just like any other creamy pb. I get plenty of fat so don’t worry about it not having as much.

Eta: my dad, who also eats pb daily, introduced me to it because of the flavor/ texture combo.
  • kimny72
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I love all types of pb but my favorite is reduced fat jif because of the texture. It makes it even better. Very easy to spread just like any other creamy pb. I get plenty of fat so don’t worry about it not having as much.

Eta: my dad, who also eats pb daily, introduced me to it because of the flavor/ texture combo.

Cool, thanks for answering!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

That surprises me. I find that PB is not very spreadable until the fats are mixed back in. Now I'm curious. Does it add hydrogenated oil?

ETA I checked a couple of brands, and they do add hydrogenated oils (corn and soy).
  • kami3006
    Options

That surprises me. I find that PB is not very spreadable until the fats are mixed back in. Now I'm curious. Does it add hydrogenated oil?

ETA I checked a couple of brands, and they do add hydrogenated oils (corn and soy).

FWIW, it's reduced fat as opposed to low fat. The reduced only has 4 fewer grams of fat than the regular. Both have hydrogenated oils.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It is true with some products that are low-fat have more sugar therefore not really better calorie wise. Low-fat is one of many health halos that companies use to lure customers. When I buy processed food I pay attention to what kind of oil the product is made with and sugar. Fat makes me feel more satisfied, but some days I enjoy fat free Greek yogurt and sometimes I eat the triple cream variety. As for the cappuccino I would go with the real deal, but choose the smaller size or indulge less often if it’s throwing your calories off. Fat doesn’t make you fat, extra calories do.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

FWIW, it's reduced fat as opposed to low fat. The reduced only has 4 fewer grams of fat than the regular. Both have hydrogenated oils.

True. Jiff calls theirs reduced fat, and Kraft calls theirs light.

Having hydrogenated oils depends on what brand you buy. My peanut butter's ingredients are roasted peanuts and salt.
  • kami3006
    Options

True. Jiff calls theirs reduced fat, and Kraft calls theirs light.

Having hydrogenated oils depends on what brand you buy. My peanut butter's ingredients are roasted peanuts and salt.

I usually have about four different kinds in the house. What I use depends on the recipe. I love the simple peanut and salt ones. Homemade is great as well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bread is naturally low fat. There’s not much fat in angel food cake either. There will be fat in the icing though. Flaky pastries, croissants and butter based cakes will all be naturally high fat.

What’s the point of a low fat croissant?
  • kimny72
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    It is true with some products that are low-fat have more sugar therefore not really better calorie wise. Low-fat is one of many health halos that companies use to lure customers. When I buy processed food I pay attention to what kind of oil the product is made with and sugar. Fat makes me feel more satisfied, but some days I enjoy fat free Greek yogurt and sometimes I eat the triple cream variety. As for the cappuccino I would go with the real deal, but choose the smaller size or indulge less often if it’s throwing your calories off. Fat doesn’t make you fat, extra calories do.

Can you give some example of low fat products that have more sugar?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Reduced fat or fat free sour cream.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    IMO, most (not all) low-fat versions of products taste bad. So I don't eat them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Maybe your brands, but that's brand specific. According to USDA, this isn't the case. As was said: the correlation between fat and sugar in products is weak at best and can't be generalized.

aqx2yaios7ja.png
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Maybe your brands, but that's brand specific. According to USDA, this isn't the case. As was said: the correlation between fat and sugar in products is weak at best and can't be generalized.

aqx2yaios7ja.png

Yes the Tesco's Full Fat Sour cream has 3.63g of sugar per 100ml and the Tesco's Half Fat Sour cream has 5.28g of sugar per 100ml.

I agree the differential is minimal and I personally don't see any issues with the levels of sugar in low fat options of foods, at the end of the day there is generally a calorie reduction and thats the main benefit.

I was just giving an example. :smile: