• Obroom2016
    Obroom2016 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No worries, not offended...to each their own
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Obroom2016 wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions/beliefs. I don't believe you can "starve yourself" in 24 hours lol. 24-hour fasting has helped me loose 4lbs this week, so I'll continue to do it at twice a week. Whether you're fasting for weight loss or religious beliefs, it still has the same effect. I for one, really like the idea of fasting as an ancient practice. Human scavengers did not has access to food 24/7, and would go without eating for 24 hours or more quite often. I like taking my body back to it's origins. It's responded very well.

Loss of weight more than 4 pounds a week is usually not a safe idea, with a few exceptions.
  • nicolehorn0114
    nicolehorn0114 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How can people sleep while doing this? I cannot sleep if I’m overly hungry.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    UncaToddly wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I firmly believe you should not do 24 hour fasting for weight loss... ever. That should be reserved for meditation/religious purposes only.

It is, IMO, not a healthy mindset to starve yourself for weight loss. If you skip a meal or choose to eat a little less one day to make it up on other days is fine because in the end you are still eating all of your calories (or you are supposed to eat all your calories).

Having read some of your other responses I am not sure if you have really researched this very well or not. That said, you are welcome to have a personal belief of whatever you like. There are plenty of people that believe in a lot of things, such as climate change not being something humans had anything to do with despite what the science shows or that their religion is correct despite any evidence of any deities. Where does the basis for your belief about 24 hour fasting lie?

People routinely use multiple day fasts for both health reasons as well as part of their weight loss. It is not uncommon for people to do 5:2 fasts (not the 5:2 program) where they eat normal calorie restriction during the week and then fast on the weekend. Your body isn't going to kill itself simply due to a lack of food for a very long time for most people. Heck, the longest recorded fast was a 27 year-old male patient who fasted under supervision for 382 days and went from being 456 to 180 lb. During that entire time he was consuming nothing but vitamins and minerals and non-caloric drinks. Five years after losing the weight and undertaking the fast, he has managed to maintain his weight.

The benefits of fasting go well beyond weight loss. Countless people have been able to reverse or improve their diabetes, insulin resistance and blood glucose numbers. Fasting, especially in combination with a Keto eating plan, has shown benefits in lowering your body fat and more importantly your insulin levels that make your body work with the insulin much better rather than simply turning everything into fat because the cell receptors have shut off because they are full of all the glucose they can handle.

I have recently started IF and am doing 20:4 while keeping roughly the same number of calories as I was doing previously, the only difference is that instead of eating 6 small meals/snacks throughout the day and constantly telling my body to produce insulin to store fat it doesn't need, I am eating 1-2 times in a smaller window and making my body use itself and it's stores of glycogen/fat instead for 8-10 hours of the fasting period to get the energy it needs. This coming week I will be getting baseline bloodwork including fasting insulin levels as well as a 3 hour GTIR test and DEXA scan to be able to compare starting point and track overall affects as time goes on.

How long have you been doing KETO?

I hope this WOE helps you. Let us know how you progress.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    UncaToddly wrote: »
    Having read some of your other responses I am not sure if you have really researched this very well or not. That said, you are welcome to have a personal belief of whatever you like. There are plenty of people that believe in a lot of things, such as climate change not being something humans had anything to do with despite what the science shows or that their religion is correct despite any evidence of any deities. Where does the basis for your belief about 24 hour fasting lie?

People routinely use multiple day fasts for both health reasons as well as part of their weight loss. It is not uncommon for people to do 5:2 fasts (not the 5:2 program) where they eat normal calorie restriction during the week and then fast on the weekend. Your body isn't going to kill itself simply due to a lack of food for a very long time for most people. Heck, the longest recorded fast was a 27 year-old male patient who fasted under supervision for 382 days and went from being 456 to 180 lb. During that entire time he was consuming nothing but vitamins and minerals and non-caloric drinks. Five years after losing the weight and undertaking the fast, he has managed to maintain his weight.

The benefits of fasting go well beyond weight loss. Countless people have been able to reverse or improve their diabetes, insulin resistance and blood glucose numbers. Fasting, especially in combination with a Keto eating plan, has shown benefits in lowering your body fat and more importantly your insulin levels that make your body work with the insulin much better rather than simply turning everything into fat because the cell receptors have shut off because they are full of all the glucose they can handle.

I have recently started IF and am doing 20:4 while keeping roughly the same number of calories as I was doing previously, the only difference is that instead of eating 6 small meals/snacks throughout the day and constantly telling my body to produce insulin to store fat it doesn't need, I am eating 1-2 times in a smaller window and making my body use itself and it's stores of glycogen/fat instead for 8-10 hours of the fasting period to get the energy it needs. This coming week I will be getting baseline bloodwork including fasting insulin levels as well as a 3 hour GTIR test and DEXA scan to be able to compare starting point and track overall affects as time goes on.

I wish you good health and good numbers on your upcoming tests.

The rest of your post is hardly worth my time. I have seen these claims about fasting and Keto too many times. The miracle of better health in any diet almost always coincides completely with weight loss. Plenty of people have reversed bad numbers without doing anything more than just dropping weight. Also, your body does not store fat if you are in a deficit so you can eat 30 meals a day or eat in a 4 hour window it doesn't really matter.

As far as the kid that fasted for a year. Maybe it happened that way, maybe it didn't. If I recall correctly he was home and unsupervised quite often. It doesn't matter because it was reckless regardless of the variables and hardly "proof" of anything.

The one I recall was hospitalized the whole time. and got IV vitamins/minerals/hydration as well as regular blood draws to ensure he wasn't being harmed.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The one I recall was hospitalized the whole time. and got IV vitamins/minerals/hydration as well as regular blood draws to ensure he wasn't being harmed.

That might be the case too. It was from 50 some odd years ago so there could be several versions of the story by now. The story I recall had him coming to the hospital for regular checkups being given supplements plus yeast for nutrition/protein.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well I don’t fast but I’m glad you found something that works for you. I see how that would be an easy way to build in a deficit. I don’t see anything bad about doing a 24 hr fast but I would never do it willingly lol.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

That might be the case too. It was from 50 some odd years ago so there could be several versions of the story by now. The story I recall had him coming to the hospital for regular checkups being given supplements plus yeast for nutrition/protein.

Regardless, one guy who was under fairly direct doctors care week after week, in patient or out. Is NOT a template for repeatable weight management.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Regardless, one guy who was under fairly direct doctors care week after week, in patient or out. Is NOT a template for repeatable weight management.

I still can't rule out the possibility it was a stunt of some kind but I totally agree that if true (partially or otherwise) this is about the dumbest plan for losing weight someone can hatch.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I guess what I do could be defined as Intermittent Fasting. Sometimes I eat dinner and then don't eat until lunch the next day. Sometimes I eat breakfast and don't eat again until dinner. I very rarely snack, because in general I am not hungry between meals. Snacks for me historically were always due to boredom and rarely ever due to actual hunger. In general, I just eat when I'm hungry and if I'm not hungry, I don't eat.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I can't fast. Last time I did a fast, my blood sugar tanked to 24. And the time before that was 37. I fainted. Both fasts were less than a day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    How can people sleep while doing this? I cannot sleep if I’m overly hungry.

Ditto. If I go to bed hungry, I'll wake up hungry and can't get back to sleep, which messes up the next day.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I skip breakfast and don't eat until 1pm because I prefer to eat at 11pm so I still call it Intermittent Fasting but some might argue it is not; frankly I don't care lol
  • JWLaughter
    JWLaughter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do the 16/8, 5 days a week. I actually try to narrow my window to less than a 6 hour eating window (18/6), and do two really filling meals (lunch/dinner). I'm not sure if "fasting" does a lot, but at the very least it helps me to eat less calories without counting everything.. and it works for me (easy to do because I'm busy of the mornings)! I'm at work by 6am, stay busy and on my feet until about noon, and I eat a good lunch of pretty much whatever I want.. home by 5, eat before 6 or 7, bed by 9:30.. lol.. I like it!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    oootto92 wrote: »
    I've done IF and OMAD succesfully and 52 days ago I started to diet again and decided to use variations of fasting as tools to shred the fat as fast as I can. Down to 101Kg after 5000Kcal refeed from 113Kg.

I started by just going with 4/20 window, then after a month started to do every other day eating. It felt like *kitten* so I studied a bit and came to conclusion that I needed to eat keto or do longer fasts so my body would start to utilize fat storages better. Did both. I've done a 8 day fast followed by 2 days keto refeed. After that a 6 day fast followed by one day of keto refeed. Now on my 3rd fast and I'm gonna go until Sunday. During these fasts I've come down from 106Kg dry to 101Kg the morning after 5000Kcals of keto food. I haven't eaten any carbs so few kilograms of that is probably also water retention. I have not lost muscle and my stats are the same as 3 weeks ago.

Okay, I gotta know. Did you really eat no food and drink for 8 days? Or were you doing a modified fast, allowing certain foods and drinks? To me, when someone says their fasting, it means they're only drinking water during that time.