Low heart rate and dizziness

Options
Hi everyone!
When I woke up this morning, I felt like something was off. I've been feeling dizzy all day long, and checked my heart rate: it's at 40-50 bpm (it is usually at around 60). I feel tired, sluggish and "empty", it's so weird. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A low heart rate is called bradycardia, and you can read up on the causes here:
    https://mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bradycardia/symptoms-causes/syc-20355474

Notice it says:
    "If you faint, have difficulty breathing, or have chest pain lasting more than a few minutes, get emergency care or call your local emergency number."

Have you taken any medications or supplements?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See your doctor
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    If you have been undereating for an appreciable amount of time do discuss this with the doctor too....
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I have bradycardia - my heart rate dips into the upper 30s every so often and pretty much maintains a resting rate in the low 40s. I did get it checked out, and many tests later we have all decided that this is how I am. I am being a bit more conscious of consuming more sodium (my "normal" diet is really sodium-light) and this helps with the light-headedness that I occasionally experience. I also take a magnesium supplement. I don't take a potassium supplement as it's easy to totally *kitten* up electrolyte balance with improper levels of additional potassium. I also don't exercise in a fasted state & make sure I am not dehydrated. So as has been suggested, maintain a reasonable calorie level and check in with your primary care provider.
  • kindredprincess1210
    kindredprincess1210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with bradycardia. I always had the feeling I would pass out and one morning I actually did. I went to the ER and they put me through a whole battery of tests. I spent 18 hours in the ER and was finally admitted for 2 more days. Doesnt matter what I do, I feel dizzy and ready to pass out. This week my doctor has ordered a holter monitor. I'll keep everyone updated.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    My BP tends to run a little low. When I was younger and presumably eating less salt (as salt was considered universally bad) I had a lot of dizziness.

I eat a lot of salt these days and haven't passed out since the one and only time I took a hot yoga class.

Of course, this could be a serious condition that needs medical attention: just wanted to put the salt thing out there.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    See a doctor but also increae your consumption of sodium, magnesium and potassium. They are electrolytes which can help with low blood pressure.

I agree.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing my doctor lately due to low blood pressure. My pulse is normal though 60-80 depending on activity. My bp drops to 70/60 lately without warning and is usually closer to 100/65. I often get headaches and get dizzy

I used to have high bp when I smoked and was overweight. Right now my doctor isn’t concerned with the change but we are monitoring it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I went to the ER when I had low hr and low BP. The doctor just suggested I eat at least 1800 calories (I was around 1600 at the time). I've found that having an electrolyte drink, like propel, when I am working out in the heat, is very helpful so I don't get dizzy. Stay hydrated and have some extra salt if you need it. Make sure you are fueling your body properly.
  • felixg1109
    felixg1109 Posts: 172 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of things - if you feel dizzy go to a doctor and also check your blood pressure. I myself got a HR from 40-60 with lows at about 30 without any symptoms. But if my blood pressure drops below about 90/50 i am getting dizzy. I consume more salt/electrolytes to keep my blood pressure above that line.