My thighs look like bags of potatoes

Options
I'm just over 20lbs into a (hopefully) 100lbs weight loss. I'm happy with my progress and feeling much better about myself. Until I looked down today while dressing and was horrified by the state of my thighs.
I'm pear shaped and carry a lot of weight there, before they were chunky but smooth. Now they are just as chunky but rippled and dimpled all over. They look dreadful, I know it will pass eventually but I go on holiday in three weeks and they look worse than when I started. You can cover over a flabby tummy with a swimsuit but thighs are on display :(

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think other people do not notice these things as much as we do. As I lost weight one of my breasts became noticeably smaller than the other so I look lopsided. It is very noticeable to me but dh didn't really notice.

Maybe you could get a sarong wrap cover up if you feel self concious out of the water.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much at goal but my thighs are awful too :'( i just ended up buying a bathing suit that has shorts and a floaty top,its ok tho cuz even if my body were perfect I don't think I'd be comfortable in a bikini anyhoo
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Between loose skin and varicose & spider veins, my legs are a mess. I love bike-short or board-short style swim bottoms.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Last weekend, I was literally like "ugh omg my thighs wtf body" and this weekend I noticed that they'd improved. I loooove swimming and walking and all that, so I get a good amount of exercise. But as others have suggested, there are annoying transitional phases when things looks weird. When you poke your belly and wonder what the heck is going on.

But then it changes. Over time, everything changes. But still, I'd rather cellulite in my thighs than being almost 80lbs heavier! I don't think you can *do* anything except power through it and keep on going!

Good luck on your weight loss!! :smiley:
  • Enna10
    Enna10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm not able to exercise at the moment. In the beginning I was going to the gym, a mixture of cardio and weights, followed by a half hour swim 3x a week. I then injured my knee during a walk through the woods and six weeks later I still can't walk or climb stairs properly. I tried just swimming but it's painful and causes my knee to be worse over the next few days. I've seen my doctor this last week who has referred me for an mri scan to see what's going on. Hopefully it will soon heal and I can start going again, but atm it's painful just walking.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Enna10 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm not able to exercise at the moment. In the beginning I was going to the gym, a mixture of cardio and weights, followed by a half hour swim 3x a week. I then injured my knee during a walk through the woods and six weeks later I still can't walk or climb stairs properly. I tried just swimming but it's painful and causes my knee to be worse over the next few days. I've seen my doctor this last week who has referred me for an mri scan to see what's going on. Hopefully it will soon heal and I can start going again, but atm it's painful just walking.

Just a suggestion: Almost no matter what the underlying problem is, consider asking your doctor for a physical therapy referral, too. I got one when I had knee pain from a torn meniscus. My orthopedist was hesitant about giving it to me, saying there was no way PT could treat/cure the condition. But when I told him I wanted PT to help me learn ways to walk and climb stairs that would reduce strain on the joint, he got on board. And it turned out that the PT folks were very helpful in that regard. (Icing after any workout also helps me, but that may be more condition-specific.)
  • Enna10
    Enna10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ann I'll suggest that to my gp, he thinks it's probably bursitis but he is not sure.
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @Enna10 I found myself thinking of you today, remembering I had seen this post a few days ago. I have been consistently exercising for about two months now, ( I know that’s not a long time) rowing, walking, hiking. I’ve been feeling great , even with subluxation of the knee, so I thought surely my butt looks fantastic. Well, I took a look, and no, it looks much worse, like the sack of potatoes you mention! It made me think of the time in high school where a guy from a neighboring town said he would never date anyone from our town because the girls all had potato butts. Anyhow , just saying hang in there and I feel your pain :)
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just read you can't exercise, which is too bad because that was going to be my advice. Not just exercise but strength training! It's been a god send for my lumpy, flabby, pear-shaped thighs and butt! I've been 110 lbs at 5'4 and my legs were STILL flabby because I had NO muscle tone. I hated cardio but still did hours of it and nothing. I discovered lifting and, even though I'm still very much a noob and am not really following a structured program, my legs are finally looking firmer and shapelier with some definition, even though I put on a few lbs of fat as well. And my cankles are looking better too
  • categ78
    categ78 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Spray tan and a sarong/& maxi skirt or two are my holiday essentials
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Between loose skin and varicose & spider veins, my legs are a mess. I love bike-short or board-short style swim bottoms.

These ones you can get treated for cosmetic reasons. In France, its dermatologists who treat it locally with injections. The selected vein is being closed by the injection, the blood will use another vein to circulate.

It painful but takes 5 minutes. Completely worth it :p
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I find my fat changes and goes through a terrible stage like you've noticed.... It does get better though!

This is SOOOO True. Get a dark spray tan and have fun!!