21 Day Fix

Options
43kelli
43kelli Posts: 31 Member
A friend suggested this program for me to try. Have any of you done it? Give me your thoughts please. TIA

Replies

• 43kelli
    Options
    Actually I was thinking of using the containers with portion sizes, since I over eat on some things, and not enough of others. MFP has helped, I'm always interested in trying something new.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Many people like the workouts.

The tupperware is a rip-off of the old Weight Watchers (exchanges) & Richard Simmons Deal-A-Meal programs. Just measure & log food you like. Learn portion control for YOUR menus.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/103806-21-day-fixers
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    43kelli wrote: »
    Actually I was thinking of using the containers with portion sizes, since I over eat on some things, and not enough of others. MFP has helped, I'm always interested in trying something new.

More of the same. For example - you get a container (purple I think) for fruit. Cram as much as you want in there.....higher calorie fruit, lower calorie fruit makes no difference. But, there will be calorie differences. Some people over eat using 21DF and some people under eat. Calories should matter a great deal.
  • 43kelli
    Options
    No I haven't weighed my food. My husband does the cooking & work in food industry. He knows how to fill my plate. I've been trying to find something that helps as my motivation sucks. Plus having clothes that are to tight & not fitting correctly I'm willing to try something different. I've never have been a vegetable or fruit eater. My friend is being very helpful & supportive. She thought this might help.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    No I haven't weighed my food. My husband does the cooking & work in food industry. He knows how to fill my plate. I've been trying to find something that helps as my motivation sucks. Plus having clothes that are to tight & not fitting correctly I'm willing to try something different. I've never have been a vegetable or fruit eater. My friend is being very helpful & supportive. She thought this might help.

but does he know what an exact portion is? not using measuring cups/spoons,etc? can he eyeball say 56g of something? say if something is 56g or a cup. of you dont weigh out the 56g using the cup it could be more like 70g or more. depending on the food. oatmeal is 40g per half cup. I was using measuring cups when I started ,

when I started weighing my oatmeal was more like 50g or more per half cup. so yeah I was gaining back weight I had lost previously using cups and spoons. if he is filling your plate and you arent losing weight then you arent in a calorie deficit.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Food scale is effective.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    He eyeballs portions, but I go back for seconds.

yeah if he cant eyeball correctly as most cannot, besides you having seconds is most likely the culprit. try not having seconds and try that for a month and see what happens. is really easy to eat more than you think even without having seconds lol. I was also one of those people.
  • ingridp2
    ingridp2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it on my own. Picked up some plastic containers that match the sizes the program sells, and continue with walking and group fitness classes. I struggle with portion sizes so this helps me a lot, just estimating sure doesn't work! Gives me a great visual as I won't always have a scale around (restaurants and other meals away from home), to help re-learn what is a reasonable amount of food. I do also use my scale to help with recording on MFP. Only started a couple of weeks ago, but already feel so much better not feeling stuffed all the time!
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    One thing I have found with Restaurants, plus I asked a friend who is a manager at Red Lobster. Are most cool with people if we ask for the so called container at the beginning of the meal to put half the meal in right away? Answer is they have no issue with that. And some will plate that way if asked. That way temptation is gone, So you are only getting the smaller portion served to you. I think having a scale is the single biggest item that will really assist 43kelli. Even with your husband doing the cooking, really for this to be successful for you. You need to let your hubby know you really would like to weigh your foods so you learn what portion control is. Because how else will you really learn? Not trying to say plastic containers will not work, but you still would not know how much is in them. Clothes not strangling everywhere good motivation for sure.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You can look up plate portions where it shows you half your plate is vegetable. The other is cut in half for meat and grains. I wish i could post a picture
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have looked at the plan online and IMO is is not a horrible plan. It appears nutritionally sound. It is very much like the Weight Watcgers Good Health Guidelines and is similar to the DASH diet for hypertension. Will you lose weight on it? Maybe. Can you stick to it? Possibly. If you think it will motivate you to control portion sizes you can buy the containers on amazon cheaper. But if the plan is so restrictive that you can’t stick with it, it could be problematic for you.

You will lose weight if you have a calorie deficit. Weighing food is the most accurate measure. However measuring by volume is better than eyeballing. I personally don’t weigh my food. I measure by volume and am willing to accept the margin of inaccuracies.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Curious, does your very helpful & supportive friend sell Beachbody products? My only concern with that is instead of having your well-being and success at heart, she is only looking to make a buck for herself.

You say your husband fills your plate for you and is good at eyeballing. I think your secret to long-term success is going to be learning to fill your own plate and measuring your portions, at least to start, with a food scale. Log it into MFP accurately and follow the calorie recommendations.

Later on, if you feel you still need portion-sized containers, there are plenty of options out there that are not sold by Beachbody and are a lot cheaper.

Good luck!
  • GMgetsfit
    GMgetsfit Posts: 554 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @43kelli
    Motivation it key for me. Until I see a difference in scale and or clothes I try hard to focus on my goal.
    first I weight myself, its day one, a new day, a fresh start.
    I look in the mirror and say something like "I can do this. I will do this. I need to do this its important for my well being. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Maybe a motivational quote could help you.

Part of dieting means eating the right things but they don't taste bad seasoning goes a long way. You are blessed with a husband who knows how to season. I suggest like others here have said you use a scale. Before it goes on the plate weigh it. While you enjoy the wait drink your water, also drink water during your meal it helps you to feel full and after the meal to clear your palate.
    I old trick I learned somewhere, is chew my food slowly ( I can eat a meal in no time) and I put my folk down between bites that's when I pick up the water just a sip. I learned to eat fast watching my step father wolf down his meals. An issue I still work on 40 years later. Which shows an important habit it being consistent. still we try don't give up on yourself you and I, WE all can do it! Last tip is take your plate and wash it as soon as you get up from the table.

Once you see results you will be more motivated.

Reward your success with little gifts (not calories) get your hair done, get a facial, perfumed lotion, your favorite scented candle. Just something after a little goal you set and accomplish.