Intermittent Fasting

Options
swebb4209
swebb4209 Posts: 99 Member
Anyone doing this? I would love some tips and tricks. It works well for me, but I find it so hard to stick to on the weekends! Would love to find an accountability partner! Also, please share any inspiration and success stories!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't suit your schedule on the weekend, don't do it - it's not magical! Sometimes I find it easy to do on the weekend other times not, it will depend on what I've got on.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m a weekend IFer for sure. My husband likes to make a big protein heavy breakfast which will hold me all day. Sometimes I am still full by dinner.

ETA: I have only one husband. Lol
  • rosileem
    rosileem Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Any feedback from people doing intermittent fasting: on doing IF at irregular times? I work overnight FT so those days (or nights??) would be when I eat vs sleeping/ fasting during the day. Eg: my eating times would be either 10P-6A or 11P-7A or 12A-8A.

However, on my days off when I have a "normal" schedule my eating times would change because my schedule changes- I'm awake during the day. Is that not advisable changing eating times?
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    rosileem wrote: »
    Any feedback from people doing intermittent fasting: on doing IF at irregular times? I work overnight FT so those days (or nights??) would be when I eat vs sleeping/ fasting during the day. Eg: my eating times would be either 10P-6A or 11P-7A or 12A-8A.

However, on my days off when I have a "normal" schedule my eating times would change because my schedule changes- I'm awake during the day. Is that not advisable changing eating times?

I work overnights too and do IF 2a-10a,
    And a Normal eating schedule on the weekends. IF days I eat 2 bigger meals (700-900 cal each, one meal at work, one at home). Weekends I eat 3-5 times but smaller meals (300-400 cal each). As long as you stay within your calorie allotment and make sure you’re getting you’re needed macros and micros, you should be ok.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I do shift work and the research I’ve seen indicates that keeping your meal times as normal as possible (trying not to eat during nights) is better for sleep patterns and minimising effects of shift work... However that’s obviously not practical if you’re always asleep during meal times.
    My shifts are 12hrs and varied... for night shifts I tend to get up mid afternoon, eat a mid size meal, gym, eat again before work (my shifts start between 1800 and 2000) and then have a third meal pref before midnight (sometimes doesn’t work as meal break time varies depending on work load) then don’t eat til following afternoon. Not specifically to intermittently fast but primarily to minimise the hangover feeling from shift changes
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I do IF, but it's not really an on purpose kind of thing, I just eat when I'm hungry. A lot of days that means skipping breakfast or lunch or sometimes even both. I like it, because it allows me to eat bigger, more indulgent meals while still staying within my calorie goals.
  • IzzyFlower2018
    IzzyFlower2018 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi OP!

In my POV, if you are hitting your goals 5 days a week that is pretty good and don't sweat the weekends. That goes for IF or working out or sleep pattern or whatever it is you want to accomplish.

Also, I am not for sure IF won't be thrown back out the window in a few years (as health trends tend to do via studies conflicting studies and so on). Sooooo that being said....

I only eat in an 8 to 10 hour window every day, but ever since I started choosing more satiety oriented foods I find myself not being hungry any more than that. And as I am sure you know everyone varies in what makes them satisfied so there is no road map for satiety. I get up around 5am but am not hungry till about 10am and usually have dinner about 6 or 7pm and that's it. Just those two meals. But like Michelle172415 this is not an effort it is what my body tells me. Also important to note that I do not put in any major seat sessions right now so my hours could change if I hit the gym for a few hours a day IDK.
    However, as of now, I could not fathom trying to make myself eat multiple times, like 6 small meals, or taking time out of my day to calculate eating over time or what not (like don't eat 4 hours before nonsense). Having to weigh my food and pre plan two meals for the day is enough work for me. But some people SWEAR by that kind of multiple eating schedule so that is what works for them.

What I am saying is as long as you are in your calorie goals then eat what helps you and when you want to. The more needless stress you place on yourself the more likely you are to quit. 5 days a week is awesome, good luck!

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Mandastein wrote: »
    Try doing a 5-1-1 schedule.
    5 days of intermittent fasting
    1 complete fasting day (24 hrs) just bone broth or water
    1 indulge day- either higher protein or carb. U may need to experiment on which works better for u.

Ummm why...... this is basically eat, restrict, binge, repeat. Bad advice in my opinion