What are your long term maintenance strategies for the rest of your life?

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    I did maintenance once before, and gained several pounds when I took my eye off of calorie intake and the scale. That's when I joined MFP (over seven years ago) and lost the few I had gained back, plus more. Now my strategy is simple - log everything I eat and weigh daily. Forever. It comes quite easy for me, so I don't consider it a burden. I'm a creature of habit and routines, and weighing daily and logging at MFP is both habit and routine, as easy and natural to me as breathing. The struggle is over for me, and I'm enjoying fueling my body rather than comfort eating.

That's what I need to remember
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I will likely continue tracking and weighing for the foreseeable future. If that ends up being for the rest of my caring years (which is what is likely to happen) I'm completely okay with that.

I'm also bracing for some of the mental aspects of it and recognizing complacency early.

Other than that, I think I have pretty established habits and a favorable mindset, proven by my ability to maintain balance during my maintenance breaks (one of which lasted a year).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I'm not there yet, but I don't really have a plan. I am used to gaining weight (on purpose) and losing it. I do kind of diet though, my food choices are quite different when I am cutting vs. bulking or maintaining. That works for me. Most likely I will keep my eye on the scale and adjust my intake accordingly.. go through phases of slight gain and slight loss. Pretty much what I did before I started on MFP, but with more protein.

And progress photos are really important to me so I can compare my results over time, especially if I am maintaining I will hopefully do some minor recomp.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    The key for me is to stay active. Being active gives me a lot more wiggle room in my diet. Of course I also need to just keep an eye on my food intake as well and be intentional about what I’m eating, rather than grabbing a bag of chips and sitting on the couch mindlessly eating. I try to make better choices during pot lucks and that sort of thing. Load up on fruit and veggies and try to not eat 15 rolls. Lol. But really staying active is the biggest thing for me. I burn so many more calories with an active lifestyle than I do just sitting on my butt all day. So making that a priority for the rest of my life is very important to me...
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    @cwolfman13 You're the lucky one. For real.

I can't get that song out of my head now. No connection with you, though. I had a guy like that once upon a time. :p:p:p

http://"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcRZ_J_VgNc[/url]

My thoughts precede behaviors, choices and immediate gratification.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    OP, I'm the same. I have no 'before' photos, nor do I want any. I'm choosing to view my weight gain as a temporary state, one that will be soon forgotten. Most of my life, I've been thin. That's what I consider to be my correct state of being, and that's how I choose to see myself. This weight gain is just a bump in the road, as far as I'm concerned.

• Diatonic12
    edited June 2018
    Candyspun wrote: »
    OP, I'm the same. I have no 'before' photos, nor do I want any. I'm choosing to view my weight gain as a temporary state, one that will be soon forgotten. Most of my life, I've been thin. That's what I consider to be my correct state of being, and that's how I choose to see myself. This weight gain is just a bump in the road, as far as I'm concerned.

I released weight because I have no intention of finding it again. Brain Training. One of my friends has spent several tours over in the 'sandbox'. He's at the top of his game in the military. He befriended me and shared some really good tips from his 'specialized' training. The first thing he told was to to quit saying 'I was losing weight'. It's a disconnect for the brain.

Befores and Afters. Ditto.

The brain does not care if you ever maintain a weight loss. Only 5% of the people at the 5 year mark are maintaining. I realize this may give everyone a big pinch but our mileage is going to vary. I have no intention of eating it all back and going out backwards. I've watched too many people do that and it's heartbreaking when they keep starting over and over with another 100 lbs staring them in the face.

Dieting and Cheating. All or Nothing. Befores and Afters. Clean or Dirty Eating. Food Resets and Food Reboots. All of these are a disconnect for the brain. If you find yourself starting to eat in the unconscious mode on autopilot and you can't stop - reframe everything for your brain. Brain Training.

The brain will lead you back to ground zero before the body knows what hit it and 100 lbs later, there you are. Give yourself permission not to ever Start Over again, keep going. If you slide off the goose here a little and there a little, so what. Keep going.

http://"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YuM2PGx51U[/url]

Sliding off the goose.^^The big bird.
  • Candyspun
    I should make it clear, I have no problem whatsoever with anyone else enjoying 'before' photos; I was simply agreeing with the OP that I take the same approach that they do.
  • amusedmonkey
    I should make it clear, I have no problem whatsoever with anyone else enjoying 'before' photos; I was simply agreeing with the OP that I take the same approach that they do.

I understand, and I wasn't commenting about you or OP. I was commenting about the linked articles that treat all before and after photos as fat shaming. For what it's worth, before and after photos do nothing for me for the same reasons: I just don't feel my after is an improvement over my before because my weight loss was not primarily motivated by a desire to change my shape.
  • Diatonic12
    Actually, I just found those articles today in case someone wanted a source. You know how everything is supposed to sourced and documented.

This was true for me a long, long time ago. I didn't have to research it, I just knew it from the top of head to the bottom of my feet. I threw all my befores in the garbage can. The befores were self-induced body shaming for me. Why there are some that have lost hope and feel defeated because the waist measurement expanded a few inches and heckatoot, someone is gutted because 15 lbs showed up in a photo.

If it brings them that much heartache, quit looking at them or just throw them away.
  • Candyspun

I understand, and I wasn't commenting about you or OP. I was commenting about the linked articles that treat all before and after photos as fat shaming. For what it's worth, before and after photos do nothing for me for the same reasons: I just don't feel my after is an improvement over my before because my weight loss was not primarily motivated by a desire to change my shape.

Gotcha :smile: I didn't notice those links before, but I did look back and find them after. I'm funny about it: I love looking at other peoples' before and after results, but I don't like the idea of having a 'before' photo myself.
  • amusedmonkey

Gotcha :smile: I didn't notice those links before, but I did look back and find them after. I'm funny about it: I love looking at other peoples' before and after results, but I don't like the idea of having a 'before' photo myself.

I'm the same!