Weight going up with 1600 calories a day and 3 times a week working out with weights

I'm working out 3 times a week with weights (20 reps, 3 sets, slightly less weight so the last set I feel some burn) for over an hour each time I go to the gym; keeping calories under 1600 a day, and my results: Weight went up by 2 lbs; But, my pants are looser in the waist and my upper body and legs feel much stronger.

If my calorie intake was higher, I'd understand the weight gain, but this appears back to front to me. Any suggestions as to what I might not be doing.. My goal is to lose weight.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Fluid retention! When you start or increase the intensity of your exercise your body holds onto fluid to help repair itself. It can take a couple of weeks for this to flush out.

Please ignore the comment about muscle weighing more than fat, you won't have built 2lbs of muscle in a short period of time whilst eating in a deficit. If you're actively trying to gain muscle (i.e. eating in a surplus, working out specifically to increase muscle, getting adequate rest, etc) a man can generally gain 0.25-0.5lbs per week, however you're not, you're in a deficit.

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    sktx wrote: »
    I'm working out 3 times a week with weights (20 reps, 3 sets, slightly less weight so the last set I feel some burn) for over an hour each time I go to the gym; keeping calories under 1600 a day, and my results: Weight went up by 2 lbs; But, my pants are looser in the waist and my upper body and legs feel much stronger.

If my calorie intake was higher, I'd understand the weight gain, but this appears back to front to me. Any suggestions as to what I might not be doing.. My goal is to lose weight.

Just checking that you are weighing all your solids and measuring all your liquids? If not you could easily be eating more than 1600, potentially more than maintenance.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    sktx wrote: »

How long have you been doing this? When people start they fixate on too short of time periods and don't allow the process and changes to happen with consistency over time. If you had been doing this program for a good month or so, truly sticking to 1600 calories and it is a decent caloric deficit, and doing solid workouts, the inches lost are the positive result no matter the weight really. A body will shift 2-5 pounds daily based on lots of things, so any weekly weigh-in can be skewed and only several weeks of logging will be able to show real losses and gains.

So a couple things to check:
    • Make sure you have your caloric deficit calculations correct and 1600 calories *IS* a deficit
    • make sure you are actually eating less than the 1600 and are logging properly
    • Make sure to continue consistently doing things for several weeks, then make small tweaks if needed in caloric intake to start seeing losses.
    • Make sure to go a few weeks again after any tweaks.
    • Make sure you are not over-estimating caloric burn if you are eating calories back.

All the best.
  • NoExcusesFromNowOn
    NoExcusesFromNowOn Posts: 76 Member
    SAME!!!!! I'm tracking 1200 and tracking it meticulously. Weights 1.5 hours and swimming almost daily. Losing inches but weight goes up or stays the same. I think I'm just going to quit weighing.
  • sktx
    sktx Posts: 5 Member
    All good info. I'm thinking the comments about water retention make a lot of sense. Going to try increasing water intake and reducing sodium and see if that changes things. The food tracker is indicating my sodium intake is higher than it should be.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    In the same way that a kilo of lead will fit in a shoe box while a kilo of feathers will fill your duvet.

That's a difference in density and volume, not weight. They both weigh a kilo. Technically lead isn't "heavier" than feathers, it's just more dense. But we all know what someone means when they say muscle weighs more than fat :)
  • sktx
    A couple of replies assumed I'd been working out for 3 weeks, thats not quite correct, I've been hitting the gym 3 times a week for the last 6 weeks. Still, I'm pretty sure its not 2lbs of muscle. I'll post something else here once I've tried the increase in water and reduction in sodium approach.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    If it's been six weeks then water retention may not be the issue. Do you mind opening up your diary?
  • sktx
    I don't mind. How do I share it with you?