hello, I'm nervous :)

Hi everyone. I am 5'4'' and currently weigh 135. I know that's not a terrible strating point, but I'm hoping to get back down to 120, which is what I weighed most of my adult life. I've gained 15 lbs in just the last 1-2 years and I don't know how! I've never really had to monitor my calories, so this whole thing is new to me but I am tired of being disappointed when I look in the mirror! I don't usually participate in online groups/discussions, but I think it will help me stay motivated (and feel accountable)-- plus reading about others' stories/progress has been really inspiring! Good luck to everyone! I'm hoping that just being more vigilant about my caloric intake will help me get back into shape!

Replies

• Welcome, this is a great place to help you accomplish your goals. Nothing but support all day every day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,308 Member
    You may find some new online friends, or who knows, some real life friends. Good luck. Welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:
  • shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    Hello & welcome!
    I am quite a recent member as well (this is my 4th week) and I AM losing weight - so this MUST work lol
    Good Luck :-)
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    I'm just over 5'4" and I went from 136 to under 120 in just a few months, so take heart that your goal can be achieved in a relatively short period of time! I never dieted or counted calories before, either. Good luck!
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Hi there. I have recently joined here, and have found really good support and encouragement so far.

I was overweight before my first son was born, and it only got worse with number two and number three.

You can do it. It'll take work and dedication, but you can do it!

God bless!
  • athenagold
    athenagold Posts: 19 Member
    No need to be nervous this site is great and such motivation :) you're going to do great x
  • hannahcf
    hannahcf Posts: 64 Member
    Welcome and good luck. I've just been doing this for a few weeks and it is definitely helping!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Welcome.
    I have found that weight doesn't come slow, it comes fast like you describe.
    I believe its partly hormonal. Our bodies switch them off as quickly as they get switched on(remember puberty).

The only way to compensate is to always look for ways to eat healthy and to get real exercise that makes you sweat.

Best of luck to you.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Welcome.
    I have found that weight doesn't come slow, it comes fast like you describe.
    I believe its partly hormonal. Our bodies switch them off as quickly as they get switched on(remember puberty).

The only way to compensate is to always look for ways to eat healthy and to get real exercise that makes you sweat.

Best of luck to you.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Welcome!!
    First off, don't be shy. We're all on the same boat.
    Second, don't sound so apologetic about your start weight!! You have as much right to ask for encouragement, help, and celebration as anyone else in here!
    Good luck!! :)
  • tikkamasala
    tikkamasala Posts: 36 Member
    oh no! I accidentally declined a friend request but I don't remember the name! If you are reading this, please send it again! :)
  • tikkamasala
    tikkamasala Posts: 36 Member
    ps) thanks for all of the encouraging words! I wish the best for all of you too!