Options
2»

Replies

• raydeb
    raydeb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    3500 cals burns 1lb fat so you need 7500 for 2lbs per week a good loss

BMR 1968 take off EAT only 1400 ish thats 500 cals let 1lb per week

If you do not count you exersize cals gained thats 1500 so you should be 1.5 ish per week

I would up the cals with exersize walking for 30 min per day will give you 200 x 7 1400 cals thats your 2lb

Hope this helps Good Luck
  • 39ang
    39ang Posts: 15
    Options
    so what should my calorie intake be for example if i did no exercise ?
    i am 39
    my bmr is 1474
    my height is 5,4
    and i weigh 13 stone (ssshhhh)
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My understanding is to MAINTAIN your current weight, if you DON'T exercise, you eat what your BMR is: 14-whatever it is.

If you want to lose weight AND you DON'T exercise, eat the 1200 recommended by MFP.

If you EXERCISE AND want to lose weight, (let's say you burn 300 calories), then you eat the 1200 recommended by MFP + the 300 calories you burned exercising for a total of 1500 calories.

If you EXERCISE AND you just want to MAINTAIN your current weight you eat your BMR calories 1400 + 300 exercise calories for a totoal of 1700 calories.

Hope this helps!
    : )
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think everyone in this thread is confusing BMR with TDEE. BMR is what your body burns when you stay in bed all day. TDEE is how many calories a day you burn normally, with your activity level. Without knowing your TDEE, nobody can suggest anything. If you eat right at your BMR, depending on your activity level, you will lose either a little or a lot of weight. It varies.
  • MJStory
    MJStory Posts: 42
    Options
    HI!, I've been there before. It was partially due to not being knowledgeable about proper diet for weight loss, and not being active enough to show greater results. Embrace the weight loss that you're experiencing; you're doing something right, and it may take you a little longer than others to lose the weight.

You may be losing inches with the few pounds you're losing. Start measurements once per month, or every other week, if you prefer, and graph it, track it. [measure chest, waist, hips, circumference of upper arms & thighs; in addition, you can include calves and forearms if you wish] That's an indicator of fat loss which weighs less that muscle. If you're losing inches, you're retaining muscle, and you're progressing in the right direction. Then, you'll understand what's happening with your body. Muscle mass is your furnace that burns calories.

You're exercising 3 times per week. If you're doing the same or nearly same routine every workout, you're defeating your purpose. You may be doing good for your heart, but not for your general weight loss if you're repeating the same exercises. You need to mix up the types of exercises on a regular basis for the best weight loss & fitness results. If you want to do more exercise with limited time, insert simple exercises during any lull that happens during the day. Examples are: walking or jogging in place during commercials, while washing hands or doing dishes; and add some arm movement - any kind will do. If you have the opportunity to walk stairs, take it; that may tell you how much in shape you are + it's excellent for cardio. You can walk to the end of your driveway & back during commercials, as well.

For being more aware, I suggest that you analyze your distribution of food classifications in your diet; if you're running high on carbs. and low on protein or you're complying closely with the guidelines, it could be a key to your solution. The suggested food classifications are just that: suggestions; it's a generic distribution set up to accommodate the general population, as well as those who don't tolerate large amounts of proteins, but generally will show weight loss in all groups of people. If you run high with protein (best to keep below 100 grams per day) & lower your carbs (keep carbs. above 40 gram/day), it can easily increase your weight loss. MFP facilitates your calorie counting by breaking down their makeup. In the long run, try using your calories up including most of or all of your exercise calories added to your basic diet; there are many who lose weight faster, but it's individual results: other's may stop losing or actually gaining some weight. I use most of the exercise calories & am getting good results.

I hope this helps.
  • alacyt
    alacyt Posts: 9
    Options
    If you're going by your numbers and eating no more than 1200 calories a day and losing 2 pounds a week I'd say that is perfectly normal. Or did you mean 2 pounds total? Either way, the calories are what make the difference. Try to shoot for under your limit if you can, because even a calorie over your limit will put you at a standstill.

You may be even working out too much. Your body needs time to recover. Also, are you getting sufficient sleep? Best wishes!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay attention to BMR.

When you first set up MFP and calculated things, how did you get to 1200 calories? What's your weekly goal loss? It may be too high. Many people can not lose 2 lb/week. 1lb/week or 0.5lb/week is more reasonable for many (depends a bit on your BMI).

Also, to make sure you know, MFP calculates a deficit for you depending on what you set your weekly goal to be. So, that 1200 is with a deficit built-in, before any exercise. That's why you should eat your exercise calories...MFP assumes a diet-only deficit.

My general thought is that you may not be eating enough for your exercise level. That will cause your body to retain fluids, etc, and hold on to the weight.

I didn't look at your diary, so this may not apply to you, but check your sodium intake. If you consume too much, you may be holding on to extra fluid.

EDIT: I did a quick look at your diary. I don't think you're eating enough. As strange as it sounds, eating too little will prevent weight loss. What you need to do is slowly up your calories. You will find the amount that allows for steady weight loss. Since MFP seems to have you at 1600 for a daily goal, I'd try that for a few weeks and see how you do.

I actually went through this myself. I had my goal at 1lb/week originally, but couldn't lose weight at 1500 calories a day plus exercise cals. I had to lower my goal to .5lb/week, which gave me 1770 calories a day plus exercise cals. I've been able hit the .5 goal and I feel a lot better (I was hungry all the time on 1500 calories).
  • 39ang
    39ang Posts: 15
    Options
    i upped my cals and have put on 1.5 pounds ,think im destined to be fat , bring out the chocolate cake .. only kidding but i dont know what else to do :(
  • alacyt
    Options
    Maybe have your thyroid checked?