Doctor's note for a standing desk?

2»

Replies

• AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    i work in HR- keep in mind that many, not all, ask for a normal desk after awhile bc the standing is a bit much.

just take walks on your breaks and get up and move regularly.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    I work in the healthcare industry, but my position has me at a desk all day. They were very cool, and bought everyone in the department stand-up desks a few years ago. I alternately use mine in the up position probably 50% during a day, and can certainly feel the difference from sitting all day. I attribute it mostly to the difference in blood flow between sitting and standing, and I understand that standing does burn more calories, even if only a nominal amount.

After having gotten my desk, I find myself standing more during "inactive" time at home, such as playing video games or watching TV ... or annoying my wife. I have to admit, I'm probably standing when annoying my wife for the faster escape benefits!

In any case, I vote, heck yes, you should do whatever you need to get one. The net benefits are definitely positive.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I bought two for my team a year ago. They are a nice gimmick, but I haven't seen them used in months.

I have a fitbit Flex 2 and it reminds me when I don't get 250 steps in an hour. I just get up and walk around the building every hour.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Just buy your own.

Though, I'm not sure how/why standing is inherently better than sitting.

I looked into this awhile back because I was thinking about getting a standing desk. Essentially, you're exchanging one set of risks for another and essentially, you're still sedentary...just not sitting.

I have some back issues related to a herniated disk from a couple of years ago and thought this might help...ultimately I decided against it and just started getting up every hour to walk around the office building...I usually need to either use the rest room and/or fill my water bottle every hour, so I just take the scenic route. It's helped a lot, and I get my 8-10K steps in during the day (depends on whether or not I walked my dog).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I bought two for my team a year ago. They are a nice gimmick, but I haven't seen them used in months.

I have a fitbit Flex 2 and it reminds me when I don't get 250 steps in an hour. I just get up and walk around the building every hour.

Same around here. There are a couple people that have adjustable sit/stand desks, and the novelty wore off quite some time ago...I hardly ever see them standing.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Mine goes up and down and can be used sitting or standing. I stand about half the day. I bought the extra shelf for work, but when I am referring to too many books or documents I usually sit so I'm not bending over to see everything. I do try to stand for at least 20-30 minutes every hour.

We do ergonomic evals here at work and the desk was part of mine (as was the new chair and the foot rest). The standing desk has really helped manage my back pain. It was about $500.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Same around here. There are a couple people that have adjustable sit/stand desks, and the novelty wore off quite some time ago...I hardly ever see them standing.

yup, same at my work place. one guy got a standing desk and another got a ball chair - they loved them the first day or two and haven't used them since!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Just buy your own.

Though, I'm not sure how/why standing is inherently better than sitting.

I looked into this awhile back because I was thinking about getting a standing desk. Essentially, you're exchanging one set of risks for another and essentially, you're still sedentary...just not sitting.

I have some back issues related to a herniated disk from a couple of years ago and thought this might help...ultimately I decided against it and just started getting up every hour to walk around the office building...I usually need to either use the rest room and/or fill my water bottle every hour, so I just take the scenic route. It's helped a lot, and I get my 8-10K steps in during the day (depends on whether or not I walked my dog).

haha... I could write almost the exact same post about myself.

I've got an adjustable desk at work... and whether I stand or sit depends on how I'm feeling (mostly my lower back) at any given time.

I also try to get up and walk/move periodically.

I also have no trouble hitting 10k steps as long as I walk my dogs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

yup, same at my work place. one guy got a standing desk and another got a ball chair - they loved them the first day or two and haven't used them since!

My entire team got them a couple years ago. I'm the only one who still uses the standing functionality and that's just because I found it eliminated my back pain.
  • fogetty
    fogetty Posts: 1 Member
    There was style of management called "management by walking around" (MBWA). Visiting the water fountain or restroom or group printer or other department about once an hour helps me be productive, but still not get stiff. YMMV
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    My employer is pretty accommodating however if everyone decided they needed a new desk we would put the lock down on that. We didn’t budget for that lol. If I really wanted a standing desk or an under desk elliptical (which I would prefer that over a stand desk) I would purchase it myself. Right now I just try to get up periodically and use the bathroom/kitchen upstairs/go for short walks etc
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    fogetty wrote: »
    There was style of management called "management by walking around" (MBWA). Visiting the water fountain or restroom or group printer or other department about once an hour helps me be productive, but still not get stiff. YMMV

In my role I tend to find myself in loads of meetings so I've started to do them as "walking meetings" where I can.

Basically, if it's my meeting, there are less than 3 people attending and no one has any slide decks or data to present that requires a display, then we'll get out of the office and go for a walk while we discuss what needs to be discussed.

I can tell you, having a meeting while walking along the foreshore of Sydney Harbour beats the hell out of a meeting room.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Danp wrote: »

In my role I tend to find myself in loads of meetings so I've started to do them as "walking meetings" where I can.

Basically, if it's my meeting, there are less than 3 people attending and no one has any slide decks or data to present that requires a display, then we'll get out of the office and go for a walk while we discuss what needs to be discussed.

I can tell you, having a meeting while walking along the foreshore of Sydney Harbour beats the hell out of a meeting room.

Sydney Harbour is not that exciting. Oh you mean the awesome Sydney not the crappy one I live in (nova scotia) lol.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

Sydney Harbour is not that exciting. Oh you mean the awesome Sydney not the crappy one I live in (nova scotia) lol.

What?9vmid1un84cf.jpg
    Looks cool to me!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

What?9vmid1un84cf.jpg
    Looks cool to me!

I think you mean frigid lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Speaking of back pain, I was lucked out and got a second hand Herman Miller chair, which retails for $700. Eliminated my back pain.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I only last an hour or so on the ball and a few hours at my standing desk til my butts back in my regular chair. But I do get up and do a few laps every hour.