Exhausted

Options
I work 12 and a half hours a day, 5 days a week on top of being a mom and a wife. I do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. Some days I am okay and some days I am just exhausted fighting to stay awake. On the days I am exhausted I eat horribly. Why do I do that? & how can I stop doing that? My home life isn't going to change so I need to find a way for more energy. I do HIIT 5 times a week. HELP ME PLEASE!

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Are you eating quality food to fuel your workouts and general activities? Have you considered a multi vitamin? have you discussed it with your doctor?
    I am a single mommy who works full time (more than full time during the busy season). I found that taking time on Sunday afternoon to plan the weekly evening meals and meal prep for lunches for the week really helps me out...and coffee is my friend:)
  • adortiz1990
    adortiz1990 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    Are you eating quality food to fuel your workouts and general activities? Have you considered a multi vitamin? have you discussed it with your doctor?
    I am a single mommy who works full time (more than full time during the busy season). I found that taking time on Sunday afternoon to plan the weekly evening meals and meal prep for lunches for the week really helps me out...and coffee is my friend:)

I eat like crap! I started a vegetarian diet this week hoping that helps. I can meal prep for myself, but my kids don't really eat left overs. Redbulls are my best friend but even these days those don't help.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're actually doing HIIT 5x per week, that might be part of the problem. HIIT shouldn't be performed 5x per week. True HIIT should be done once or twice per week tops. HIIT is brutal to the body.

Well that's nice to know! I usually start with 30 minutes of a regular cardio routine to warm up, 20 minutes of interval running, and then 30 minutes of an HIIT exercise. I read that that HIIT training was good for your energy levels and metabolism. That would explain why after almost six weeks I feel worse than I did before I started working out so hard. I thought my body just had to get used to it. I've always been active as far as sports, but an actual gym routine is new to me.

HIIT should only be done once per week. Most people don't reach high enough intensity levels to truly be doing HIIT. That being said, it sounds like you might be overexercising in that area and maybe under-fueling.

What is your calorie goal, weight loss goal, current height and current weight?
  • adortiz1990
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    If you're actually doing HIIT 5x per week, that might be part of the problem. HIIT shouldn't be performed 5x per week. True HIIT should be done once or twice per week tops. HIIT is brutal to the body.

Well that's nice to know! I usually start with 30 minutes of a regular cardio routine to warm up, 20 minutes of interval running, and then 30 minutes of an HIIT exercise. I read that that HIIT training was good for your energy levels and metabolism. That would explain why after almost six weeks I feel worse than I did before I started working out so hard. I thought my body just had to get used to it. I've always been active as far as sports, but an actual gym routine is new to me.

HIIT should only be done once per week. Most people don't reach high enough intensity levels to truly be doing HIIT. That being said, it sounds like you might be overexercising in that area and maybe under-fueling.

Calorie Goal - 1200 - Which usually comes from one fast food meal during the day
    Weight loss goal - 190lb
    Current height - 5'8"
    Current Weight - 262lb

I usually burn off all my calorie intake according to my FitBit.

I'm the first to say I am doing this all wrong, but I don't really know how to go about my calories, my macros, my workouts. I was active and fit in school. I love to play sports! I still go play a game of basketball once or twice a week. As far as a gym/workout routine, eating healthy/correctly, I am just winging it.
  • adortiz1990
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Again my household responsibilities won't change, but that's okay. I chose to be a wife and mother and I don't regret it. I just need more energy. :smile:
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? Mine are 12 and 13, and they do most of the picking up during the week, so I only spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon perfecting what they didn't do perfectly. You say you're a wife and a mother. You need to see if your husband can help out, too. You're already working over 60 hours a week at your job. Unless he's working even more hours than that, your husband has more time than you do to help out with the chores.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    No wonder you're so tired, 1200 is way too little for your stats and activity. What does MFP give you as a goal for 2 pounds a week?

MFP gives me 2100 calories for a goal. I feel like that is too high though.

That's how much I eat to lose a pound a week and I'm about your weight. Try it for a few weeks while logging everything as accurately as possible.
  • adortiz1990
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Calorie Goal - 1200 - Which usually comes from one fast food meal during the day
    Weight loss goal - 190lb
    Current height - 5'8"
    Current Weight - 262lb

I usually burn off all my calorie intake according to my FitBit.

I'm the first to say I am doing this all wrong, but I don't really know how to go about my calories, my macros, my workouts. I was active and fit in school. I love to play sports! I still go play a game of basketball once or twice a week. As far as a gym/workout routine, eating healthy/correctly, I am just winging it.

1200 calories per day is a weight loss target aimed at a sedentary female of small stature. You are neither of those things. Also another reason you're probably exhausted...you're underfeeding your activity.

I will up my intake and hopefully that helps with my energy levels.