OMAD

Options
To those of you currently practicing OMAD or have in the past, how long did it take you to get used to only eating one meal a day without hunger pains during the remainder of the day? I was interested in giving it a try and was curious to see how others experience with it have been.

To those who tried and quit, what was your reason(s)?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Dee_D33 wrote: »
    May I ask what the purpose of this WOE is? I mean, I assume you’re eating all of your daily calories in that one meal, and I can imagine eating that much in one sitting would make someone feel gorged. I don’t know if I would rather feel hungry or overly full, but they both sounds equally as miserable.

Some people prefer bigger meals. And if your calorie goal is on the lower side, OMAD doesn't even have to be that big of a meal.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into other eating plants in IF? Jumping straight into OMAD might be overdoing it if you have never tried IF before. I would suggest to start with 16:8 or even 14:10 if you have never tried it before.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I occasionally do OMAD, but that's because I'm just not hungry a lot. I follow a high fat Keto diet which I believe contributes to my satiety. I try to only eat when I'm hungry, so some days I skip 1 meal, sometimes I skip 2, sometimes they are consecutive, some days they aren't. Growing up I never really ate breakfast or lunch while in school and college, it wasn't until I started working a regular full time job that I started to eat three meals a day, and by coincidence (maybe it was the food, maybe it was the sedentary lifestyle) that is when I started to put on weight.

I guess my question for you is, why do you want to follow this WOE? I can't imagine skipping meals if you are actually hungry, that sounds miserable.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I could not as I tend to eat fairly small meals, and get hungry again fairly quickly (mind you, even if i have a full British as breakfast)
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I occasionally do OMAD, but that's because I'm just not hungry a lot. I follow a high fat Keto diet which I believe contributes to my satiety. I try to only eat when I'm hungry, so some days I skip 1 meal, sometimes I skip 2, sometimes they are consecutive, some days they aren't. Growing up I never really ate breakfast or lunch while in school and college, it wasn't until I started working a regular full time job that I started to eat three meals a day, and by coincidence (maybe it was the food, maybe it was the sedentary lifestyle) that is when I started to put on weight.

I guess my question for you is, why do you want to follow this WOE? I can't imagine skipping meals if you are actually hungry, that sounds miserable.

Yeah I probably couldn't jump straight into it, i suppose I should have looked into IF more so as that sounds manageable.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I accidentally do OMAD on occasion, but not on purpose. That's just how God made me. Recently, though, I realized that working out in the afternoons with no fuel is what was making me sick to my stomach after exercising, so I've started having a few hundred calories with my coffee.

You can give it a try. But if you find you're too hungry, maybe an IF schedule would be better for you?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I OMAD once or twice a month, usually to save enough calories for a decadent restaurant dinner.

I've tried doing OMAD every day, but I always cave after day 2 or 3. It's just too hard for me.

I do much better with 2 meals a day: lunch and dinner.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to eat one meal on the weekends because I am lazy and sit around the house playing WoW and writing on my book. It works for me because my energy expenditure is low (I am basically a slug) and I don't really get hungry. By the time I eat, it's usually 4 or 5 and then I'm kind of done for the rest of the day.

That being said, for me, I don't think I'd ever *choose* to only eat one meal a day as a rule. But that's personal and during the work week, I'm way more twitchy, hyper, and energetic so I get hongry!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Yeah I probably couldn't jump straight into it, i suppose I should have looked into IF more so as that sounds manageable.

That's how I started too. I'm another who does keto and I found my hunger dropped enough that I fell into IF pretty naturally. I eat if hungry which means I often don't have a true breakfast until 12-3pm. I will usually have some coffee with cream in the morning though.

I've done OMAD a few times because I wasn't hungry, but found it uncomfortable to eat 1500-2000 calories in one sitting. What seems to happen more often is that I would have a 1000 kcal dinner/breakfast, and then have another small meal a couple of hours later.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options

I sent you a PM.

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I don't do OMAD but I'm not far off. I guess I do OMMAD (one major meal a day) Mon-Fri as I will have a coffee and a piece of toast in the morning and a small snack mid afternoon but the only proper "Meal with a capital M" is my dinner at night.

But I do this because I find it easy. I'm generally never hungry during the day and conversely find myself wanting to eat at night. I didn't go out of my way to eat in this way it's just the pattern that I naturally fell into.

I couldn't imagine trying to force myself into an eating pattern that wasn't natural and certainly can't fathom adopting an eating pattern that causes pain.

I'm done trying to force myself to do things I don't want to do just because they work. There's a long list of things that work so I'm just gonna do the things that work that I enjoy or find natural. Takes so much of the effort out of this weight loss thing when the things you're doing are enjoyable/natural so you don't have to constantly try.
  • oootto92
    oootto92 Posts: 24 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Took about a week. Took about 2 weeks so every workout didn't end with me throwing up. I started to mix salt into water and drank some of that before the workout and I was a whole new person.

I quit when I started eating maintanance/surplus. No way am I eating 3400kcal on one sitting :D Still ate everything after exercise but instead OMAD went with 4 hours.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the woos. OMAD isn't woo in itself and can be a valid structure to follow for some people, but some IF proponents (which OMAD is) do believe it has magical properties. Likely the woos were not directed at you specifically, but just some trigger happy people who have seen OMAD threads take a weird turn. I wouldn't take it to heart.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    I don't know why my post is getting woo'd, I thought it was a pretty harmless question and was simply wondering how people managed to eat this way.

I can see how this can be just the way someone is wired to eat naturally and I don't plan on pursuing it seeing as how I tend to get hungry somewhere along the day and that just isn't comfortable. I might look into IF in the future as I've had days when I did follow it unintentionally without any issues.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Don't worry about the woo's, I've had to learn to ignore them, I always get woo'd LOL