Butt Lift with weighted Squats? Please help!

hellonew2015
hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok guys and gals! Fitness queens and kings :)

I only can do squats with dumbbells and various weights. I am in a deficit still wanting to lose 10 more pounds, and deficit does not work in my favor to get more muscles I know. Did any one achieve results being in deficit, by doing weighted squats 3 times a week and did only bodyweight squats 3 days then rested one day? How long did it take?
How much weight, sets and reps?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Follow a progressive lifting program. You may like the book Strong Curves' programs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Follow a progressive lifting program. You may like the book Strong Curves' programs.

This. Strong Curves includes squats but is focused on other glute focused exercises like hip thrusts and bridges, deadlifts as well as other accessory exercises.

While you may not build much if any muscle in a deficit, you can retain and shape what you have.
  • hellonew2015

Thank you Jemhh and Sardelsa! Do you think to go to recomp and eat at maintenance to increase the likelihood of seeing more glutes or it has to be a bulk/eating extra 300 cals?
  • hellonew2015
    sardelsa wrote: »

This. Strong Curves includes squats but is focused on other glute focused exercises like hip thrusts and bridges, deadlifts as well as other accessory exercises.

While you may not build much if any muscle in a deficit, you can retain and shape what you have.

Thank you!!!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Thank you Jemhh and Sardelsa! Do you think to go to recomp and eat at maintenance to increase the likelihood of seeing more glutes or it has to be a bulk/eating extra 300 cals?

Recomp can definitely be effective (depending on your stats and goals), and Strong Curves is a fantastic program to run at maintenance.
  • hellonew2015
    Good deal :) Thank you Sardelsa !
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    I have had good results with a progressive lifting program, but on that same note, I quickly lost my desire to eat at a deficit in favor of getting stronger, so I can't say how great the results would have been if I had continued the deficit longer. Also, throw in some lunges! Even bodyweight lunges have me feeling it the next day! Lol
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member

It depends on how fast you want to make progress. I'm in too much of a rush to take it at maintenance so I am a bulk and cutter for life. I have seen fantastic glute growth following my powerlifting program. 5 days a week and 4 of those are spent squatting or deadlifting.

I also recommend a structured program. I was stalled on all 3 of my lifts for 8 months. I got on a professional designed program by an elite coach and I've added 75lbs to my total in 15 weeks. Itd br higher but I've been slacking on mydiet
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm currently front squatting 3 sets. Set 1: 12 reps with 17.5lb dumbbells, Sets 2/3: 8 reps with 20lb dumbbells. Same sets/reps/weights for side squats with a cardio step. Lunging 17.5 dumbbells, Set 1: 8 reps, Sets 2/3: 12 reps). Also bent leg raises, 3 sets. Sets 1/2 12 reps with 9lbs ankle weights, Set 3 8 reps with 10lbs.

Every week I change it a bit, assuming I've handled the previous week ok. So, next week, all three sets of front and side squats will be at 20lbs, all lunges will be 12 reps, and the second set of bent leg raises will be at 10lbs, like the third one is.

I bought a book called Strength Training for Women by Joan Pagano. It's great for getting started: multiple exercises for each muscle/muscle group, tips on the most common errors and how to avoid them, suggestions for what to do/avoid based on physical limitations, etc. Plus recommended weights/reps/sets. However, most of her recommendations stop around 10/12lbs, so I've been building on that and going further on my own. (Eventually, I'm sure my reps will decrease from 8-12 to around 4-6, but for now I'm handling 8-12).

I've been doing this for a little over a year and I've had great results. Should probably also point out that my preferred cardio is walking and, over the course of the last 21 months, I've gone from 25-minute walks to 2 hours plus, and my walking speed (probably helped by stronger leg muscles) has gone from 2.8 mph to 3.5-3.9, depending on terrain. It's hard to say how much of the results can be chalked up to the dumbbells and how much to the walking, but I like the shape I'm in and others have commented.
  • hellonew2015
    You guys ROCK!!!

My problem is I am debating on whether stop deficit, maintain and recomp or eat more bulk and cut. But I am 5 ' 1.5" height/47years old female and weighs 130.5 LBS ( upper end of normal weight). I am also in a rush to see some glutes - what do you think?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    You guys ROCK!!!

My problem is I am debating on whether stop deficit, maintain and recomp or eat more bulk and cut. But I am 5 ' 1.5" height/47years old female and weighs 130.5 LBS ( upper end of normal weight). I am also in a rush to see some glutes - what do you think?

That's a tough one. You say you are at the upper end of weight for your height. Do you know your body fat %? Unless you are pretty lean, I would hesitate to say bulk/cut - but if you are in a rush that's the faster method.

Oh I just re-read your OP and you say you are still wanting to lose another 10lbs. That might be your best bet. Lose those 10lbs and see how lean you are. Then go for a bulk/cut cycle if you don't want to wait several years to recomp. But just know bulk/cut is not fast either. It can still take several years depending on what your goals are.
  • hellonew2015
    You guys ROCK!!!

That's a tough one. You say you are at the upper end of weight for your height. Do you know your body fat %? Unless you are pretty lean, I would hesitate to say bulk/cut - but if you are in a rush that's the faster method.

Oh I just re-read your OP and you say you are still wanting to lose another 10lbs. That might be your best bet. Lose those 10lbs and see how lean you are. Then go for a bulk/cut cycle if you don't want to wait several years to recomp. But just know bulk/cut is not fast either. It can still take several years depending on what your goals are.

It makes perfect sense! ♥♥ - My goal is to see definition / muscles but a feminine look. I guess Bulk and Cut once I am down 10lbs and lift as heavy as I can - progessive overload - I sure need to get me a barbell/plates cause I have no time to go to the gym during week days.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    You guys ROCK!!!

It makes perfect sense! ♥♥ - My goal is to see definition / muscles but a feminine look. I guess Bulk and Cut once I am down 10lbs and lift as heavy as I can - progessive overload - I sure need to get me a barbell/plates cause I have no time to go to the gym during week days.

I recently told my coach I was caught between wanting to lose a little more weight, and wanting to get stronger. He told me, hands down, get stronger. Obviously things are going to vary based on your main priority and goals, but in general, it is easier to gain muscle now than it would be to lose 10 pounds and then try and gain muscle. At least I think that's how I understand it. For reference, I am 5'0, and weigh 145lbs. I have a lot of muscle mass.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2018
    You guys ROCK!!!

I wouldn't be in a rush, but I would consider what is efficient training for you as a individual with your background of training, athletic ability, health and so on.

Middle aged and up also respond well to barbell focused strength training that incorporates squats, deadlifts, bench and OHP if they are capable of doing all four.

I would consider training that involves both eating in a surplus and deficit while your train since your weight is so close to your target goal if your program you chose allows for it. Surplus during developmentary blocks and slight deficit directly afterwards have great results of your goal in a efficient manner.

• hellonew2015
    edited June 2018
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    You guys ROCK!!!

I wouldn't be in a rush, but I would consider what is efficient training for you as a individual with your background of training, athletic ability, health and so on.

Middle aged and up also respond well to barbell focused strength training that incorporates squats, deadlifts, bench and OHP if they are capable of doing all four.

I would consider training that involves both eating in a surplus and deficit while your train since your weight is so close to your target goal if your program you chose allows for it. Surplus during developmentary blocks and slight deficit directly afterwards have great results of your goal in a efficient manner.

Are you may be saying eat a surplus on weight lifting days and in a deficit on cardio days? then end up losing around .25 lbs of fat a week? or bulk for a while then cut?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2018
    You guys ROCK!!!

Are you may be saying eat a surplus on weight lifting days and in a deficit on cardio days? then end up losing around .25 lbs of fat a week? or bulk for a while then cut?

No I'm saying eat if you run a balanced program of hypertrophy and strength over 3-4 months...eat in a surplus on the blocks of hypertrophy and a slight deficit on the strength blocks. This in general is more efficient for those who have very little fat to lose over maintenance.

I wasn't aware you planned to fo cardio. What amount? Frequency? Goal?
  • hellonew2015
    You guys ROCK!!!

No I'm saying eat if you run a balanced program of hypertrophy and strength over 3-4 months...eat in a surplus on the blocks of hypertrophy and a slight deficit on the strength blocks. This in general is more efficient for those who have very little fat to lose over maintenance.

I wasn't aware you planned to fo cardio. What amount? Frequency? Goal?

Hey! Thanks :) - I plan to weight lift 3 to 4 days and 2 days in between cardio for 30 to 40 minutes per week.
    I have adjustable dumbells various heavy weights that I can progress into and resistance bands. What balanced program of hypertrophy and strength over 3-4 months do you recommend?