Fit moms!

I couldn’t make it to the gym today, so my little man and I got arms in at home! I used a 5lb bag of sugar as my “dumbbell”. No excuses ladies! And of course he has to photobomb me with his sandwich face!

Replies

• emilystevens143
    emilystevens143 Posts: 71 Member
    How many of you ladies workout at home? What do you use as weights?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    You do what you gotta do. :grin: He's a total cutie BTW.

I will occasionally do an upper body workout at home, but I don't prefer it. I have a bar and dumbbells with plates, pull-up bar, rings. That's pretty much all I need as I do more of a gymnastics/calisthenics workout for my upper body. Pull-ups, dips, push-ups, lever and planche progressions, inverted rows, etc.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Cute!

I workout at home.. I do have some equipment though.. barbells and plates, dumbbells and kettlebells
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I am planning on buying weights so I can work out at home. I like working out but hate lifting at the gym because it’s always crowded and I hate dealing with people lol
  • emilystevens143
    I agree. I am a gym goer myself but I can’t always make it with my son. Lol. So I try to do my best at home. I started watching dance fitness videos on YouTube as cardio. I made my own splits for arms, legs, back, and abs. Most of the things I do are body weight! I prefer the gym setting but the people do crowd you as you’re working out. Haha.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    I have a home set up: bench, squat rack, dumbbells, elliptical, etc. I never enjoyed the gym due to social anxiety but the main reason I chose to do it was that I have an autistic daughter (17 now) who cannot be left alone. It's just easier to get stuff done at home. On the plus side, she enjoys watching me work and has developed an enjoyment of working out, mostly on the elliptical at the moment.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    I do all my workouts at home, I have 2 sets of adjustable dumbells and 2x 5kg plates. i can pretty much do everything with that
  • mariekenji26
    mariekenji26 Posts: 30 Member
    I workout at home. I used to carry my kids in their baby carrier and go for walks or run/jog with them in their stroller. when they got old enough to sit up in the wagon, I 'd walk with them 2 miles a day to my oldest son's pre-k center. Now that they are all older, 8,10 and 12 yrs old. I have an elliptical, do workouts on youtube, specifically Leslie sansone and it's free on youtube. I also have 2 and 10 pound hand weights a stretchy band and an 8 pound kettle bell.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    I'm a mom to an 11-year old son and 11-month old daughter. I work full-time and I workout at home almost every day. So yes, I agree with you--it can be done.
    I wake up early to work out or sometimes I take some time after work before I pick up my daughter to get a quick HIIT workout in.
    I do strength training with both body weight exercises, a set of weights, and some stretchy bands. I've also used my daughter as a weight:)
    We invested in a Peloton a few years ago. The monthly fee costs the same as my gym membership so it was an easy choice for me to swap it out-- I simply cancelled the gym membership. I use the bike regularly and believe it's one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I can work out on my own schedule whether I have 20-30 minutes or longer to invest. I also take my daughter on runs or long walks in the jogging stroller. She loves it and it's good for me.
  • emilystevens143
    I absolutely love all of you guys’ feedback. Definitely giving me ideas on what to do at home! I use my son as weight too! Haha. He loves that! The dance videos on YouTube are definitely a sweat session on their own. I tried a new machine at planet fitness for my gym goers, it’s called the Arc Trainer. For me, I burn 520 calories for 30 mins which is definitely a plus. I’m looking for more toning excercises though! If you ladies have any ideas!
  • mom23mangos
    If you don't have weights at home, you can do You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. Or you can purchase a subscription to Gymnastics Bodies or Calisthenics Academy. Lower body is harder at home without weights. But you can use resistance bands, do pistol squats, squat your kids...although if they are little you'll quickly progress past them. I still throw my 14yr old teenagers on my shoulders to squat in a pinch. They only weigh about 120, but because you have to stay vertical it's more like a front squat. Plus you have to balance that additional height.
  • mom23mangos
    You can also get a really good workout at the local park if they have a jungle gym while your kid plays.
  • mserickson99
    mserickson99 Posts: 21 Member
    With 4 kids, working part-time and being a runner, I try to mix it up with some at home workouts but they’re few and far between. Cardio videos!
  • emilystevens143
    Thank you ladies for all of your help and tips! I definitely learned some new techniques for home!