Soda Addict

Options
Alright, so I am embarrassed to admit this, but I have a serious Coca-Cola addiction. I mean buy the 1.25 liter a day and down it kind. I am a wife and mama, I work full-time and go to school as well, so for years Coke has been the thing that keeps me going.

I am still a crazy lady, but I have to kick this habit. I have tried in the past, but the moment I "have just the one" I am hooked. It is ridiculous! I don't want to swap to coffee, sorry to all you coffee lovers out there, but eww... Also, I don't want to swap one addiction for another. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to kick the habit?

I know this sounds so silly, I am just at my wits end with myself. After giving it up again for two weeks, (pretty good for me) I am back on the hooch! ;) Help!

~ Caitie

Replies

• Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Find other things you like. Personally I found Sweet Tea as a sub. (Not great but better.) Then I started finding different ways to drink water. Personally if it is ice cold I will drink it, when it gets warm I stop. At first I switched to a bit of tea, but as I have transitioned it has been less and less. Found a cup that keeps water super cold, too. And I only allowed myself to have soda at lunch. Recently though at lunch it has tasted funny so I think I am finally kicking the habit myself. It is not an easy habit to break, but I am right there with you, I will never like coffee.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I switched from Dr Pepper to diet. It sucked at first but now I don’t even enjoy regular anymore. It’s too sweet. I buy cans and I limit one per day
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Or, you know, don’t buy it.

Try quitting cigarettes, now that was tough.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke or Coke zero ?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    another vote for coke zero! simple switch to make.
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is my soda of choice. I am also trying to kick that habit. I have been drinking carbonated water (Sparkling Ice) and it really does help. No caffiene though, so you'll have to find a different way to substitute that part of your addiction. Mine is mainly to the bubbles, lol. Oh, and I make sure I drink at least 24 oz of water before I even think about drinking a diet coke or carbonated water!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    switch to diet coke.

problem solved.

i havent had a 'normal' coke in years.
  • jshaw2025
    jshaw2025 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I grew up that way. Always had come in the fridge and always had it with meals. I went cold turkey as a senior in high school and lost 15lbs over a 2 year period. I'm talking zero carbonated drinks period. I still drank sweet tea sometimes, but mostly water. Many years later and water is still my drink of choice. I can enjoy a Coke or Dr pepper occasionally and I go on with my life.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you go cold turkey, it might be a good idea to take caffeine pills while you switch and then wean yourself off of them, unless you're dying for one heck of a headache.
  • Crystal75Evans
    Crystal75Evans Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel i am going threw the exact same thing i dont drink coffee so my first drink in the am is a soda i crave it and drink it everyday i have been able to switch to diet but i hear the diet is almost as bad for you so im trying to cut back I would love to break the addiction completely but it's hard i crave my soda and get grouchy when i don't have it
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I gradually cut down until I was only drinking a can a day, then switched to diet. I now have two cans a day: one in the morning because like you I don't drink coffee, and one with dinner. The rest of the day I drink water.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    STOP.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love regular coke, too. Especially from the fountain. I used multiple substitutes including soda water, coke zero and iced tea. Now I rarely have even a coke zero or diet coke. Keep at it until you find the solution for you. It's hard to have just one of those things. Good luck.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I'll add my vote to the chorus of switch to a low calorie version.

I alternate between Coke Zero (or Coke No Sugar as it's called here now) and Pepsi Max.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I switched from Dr Pepper to diet. It sucked at first but now I don’t even enjoy regular anymore. It’s too sweet. I buy cans and I limit one per day

Same. I actually have to ask people to taste my coke zero to make sure its not regular! Lol