Options
2»

Replies

• caitiedid10
    caitiedid10 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse1 wrote: »
    STOP.

Not as helpful as I would have hoped, but thank you for the advice.
  • caitiedid10
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied, I feel a lot better knowing that I am not alone in this struggle! I am on day one of no soda, even though it is in the fridge. (My husband isn't on board and isn't planning on being on board any time soon, so I have to learn to buy it but not partake.) Thank you for all the encouragement, and while going cold turkey will probably give me delightful migraines for a week, I think I would rather do that and stick to water! (If I'm dying, I'll try a diet something or other!) :D
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Maybe try switching to iced tea and add a natural sweetener for the sugar?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero, Cherry Coke Zero. Vanilla Coke Zero. Vanilla extract + Coke Zero + Half and Half = vanilla cream coke with very few calories.

Coke Zero with Halo Top or similar zero digestible sugar ice cream for a low calorie Float.

Since Coke came out with the Zero line, all the Coke drinkers in my family have been happy with it.

By that I mean, my wife was a Coke fiend who quit drinking coke with each pregnancy. Each pregnancy, she lost weight with her postpartum weight being 20+ lb below her weight 9 months earlier.

The Cherry Diet Dr Pepper, though, totally rocks.
  • caitiedid10
    Options
    mrsd1969 wrote: »
    I was the same, totally addicted to diet cola, so I went cold turkey and didn’t have any fizzy soda as to be honest they are all just as bad as each other, diet or normal. I don’t deny it, it was really hard and the headache for the first ftwo weeks was unbearable however I got there. For two years I was totally fizzy soda free however in the last 3 years I have found diet irn bru or sprit zero creaping back in to my life, so time to force myself to stop it all again.
    The full fat have high calories however the diet/zero sugar are the most addictive so I know it’s not great but the answer is water or flavour water if you really want to do it and it’s an all or nothing situation, drink one a day and that will increase to two and so on.
    Good luck, sorry it’s not the easy quick fix you wanted.

I assumed that it wouldn't be, it is just nice to know that I am not alone!
  • Shakimi1
    Shakimi1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try the "Clear American" flavored water from WalMart. That stuff tastes amazing and curbs the craving.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You're a cold caffeine fiend vs. coffee caffeine fiend.

You don't want to swap one caffeine addiction for another so you're going to have to go cold turkey or swap. My suggestion is to start swilling LaCroix sparkling water or some other brand you prefer. I swill LaCroix like a fish. I like mango, apricot, passionfruit and coconut. Blackberry is pretty good, too. There are so many other flavors.

I swill LaCroix first thing in the morning along with my coffee. I have some beside my bed and swill, swill, swill away. I like it really cold or luke, it doesn't matter. I am hooked on LaCroix. It's low abrasive and doesn't hurt my teeth. My dentist said so and it has zero, zip calories. It pairs nicely with every food and I can go through 3 cases in just a few days time. I always buy 3 at a time.

I put some in the freezer for extra chilling but don't leave it too long in there, the cans explode. The colder the better, it really hits the spot. Something else you might try is kombucha. Great flavors. I like booch and I stretch it out with LaCroix. Booch, kombucha is pretty expensive but a LaCroix and Booch go together nicely and you get more bang for your buckaroos.

You could call it Hooch Booch. Happy swilling whatever you choose to do.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The addiction aspect is probably the caffeine so you could just switch to another caffeinated product other than soda. If you want to kick the caffeine habit you could start subbing in caffeine free variants of your favorite soda slowly over time until that is the only soda you drink.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied, I feel a lot better knowing that I am not alone in this struggle! I am on day one of no soda, even though it is in the fridge. (My husband isn't on board and isn't planning on being on board any time soon, so I have to learn to buy it but not partake.) Thank you for all the encouragement, and while going cold turkey will probably give me delightful migraines for a week, I think I would rather do that and stick to water! (If I'm dying, I'll try a diet something or other!) :D

You hate coffee and tea that much you'll suffer through the caffeine withdrawal?

Another option is caffeine pills. Tea aggravates my mom's reflux and she's been enjoying a boost from caffeine pills recently.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mrsd1969 wrote: »
    I was the same, totally addicted to diet cola, so I went cold turkey and didn’t have any fizzy soda as to be honest they are all just as bad as each other, diet or normal. I don’t deny it, it was really hard and the headache for the first ftwo weeks was unbearable however I got there. For two years I was totally fizzy soda free however in the last 3 years I have found diet irn bru or sprit zero creaping back in to my life, so time to force myself to stop it all again.
    The full fat have high calories however the diet/zero sugar are the most addictive so I know it’s not great but the answer is water or flavour water if you really want to do it and it’s an all or nothing situation, drink one a day and that will increase to two and so on.
    Good luck, sorry it’s not the easy quick fix you wanted.

from a calorie perspective, they are not at all "as bad as each other" - diet or coke zero is a great substitute if you are looking to cut back calories.

also, what is "full fat" cola? even regular coke is still 0 fat.

Full fat is a UK term for regular soda.. at least fr what i remember.