68 and Still Going Strong!!

Options
luluinca
luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
edited June 2018 in Success Stories
I've gone from about 220 to 150 but it seriously took about 3 years and now I'm hanging on by a thread maintainting..............ugggghhh

I’ve been thinking about a few things lately regarding my fitness and general health. On September 18th it will be 5 years since I turned my health around by joining MFP. My personal physician suggested that I check the website out because she knew that after coming off a year (2012) of being deathly ill, losing weight and then gaining it back plus more that I really wanted to lose weight. I didn’t know at the time that to be really successful, I might also have to exercise……………uggghhhh

It shouldn’t really have surprised me that much because I grew up as an athlete even though in the 60’s it wasn’t that cool to be a female athlete. I played softball, field hockey, swam and my best friend and I were the badminton champs of all the local schools 3 years in a row. Away from school I surfed in the summer and skied in the winter……………yes we have mountains in California. Hence, I never had a weight problem in those days and pretty much ate whatever I wanted………..LOL

Fast forward to having 3 kids, two husbands, working and trying to keep up with everything and by the time the kids were all off to college, Lulu’s exercise routine and menopause derailed her weight numbers and fitness endeavors. Hubby and I bought the business he’d worked for over 25 years in 2001 and so we’ve been a little busy. It’s not a valid excuse though!

The summer of 2013 I began swimming again in our back yard, lost a few pounds, felt well and when the weather changed in September I joined a gym so I could keep swimming. One thing led to another and I hired a trainer to help with a lingering back issue and to help me lose weight.

That first year was stretching, beginning some core work to help my back (most important thing ever), low free weights and some cardio to burn calories. I lost about 45 lbs that year. My amazing trainer left the gym and assigned me to one of her friends there……………yikes………….a former Marine. He worked me hard and I became pretty strong that year and lost some more unwanted pounds! At my age (I was born in 1950, so you can figure that out) I felt amazing.

Here’s the thing though…………….I seem to either be injury prone or maybe I’m pushing myself too hard, not sure which, but I have had numerous injuries over the last several years. Here are a few: Frozen left shoulder (it took 8 weeks of PT and an extra month to fix that), left knee meniscus tear, 3 hip flexor injuries over the last 3 years, right shoulder impingement, right knee undiagnosed pain and 2 gluteous maximus tears, one of which is ongoing………….uggghhh

What have I learned? My husband keeps saying it’s time to slow down, I am after all 68 now, and I keep saying NO! I will keep working around injuries, trying to increase the weights I can lift instead of settle for less, eat as healthy as our lifestyle permits, hire a trainer if I need some inspiration and help and never give up.

I love the gym………..it’s my home away from home, and I love feeling strong even when things aren’t going according to plan.

6eilan41wjlf.jpg
2ebf2kaanjsp.jpg

pwxaz2vi1e82.jpg
If I can do it I really think you can too. It’s all about attitude!

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    LOL, I suppose if I want to draw people in I need to put something in the title other than my age....I get that!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Oh no, it's not about your age (actually, I thought that was how many pounds you lost), it's just that you've posted during a time of light traffic. Things will gain steam in a few hours.

This is amazing! You look so fit and strong that I didn't realize your age until you stated it. I hope others see this is. People are never too old, too young, too fat, or too anything to work on their fitness.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You are amazing!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    That’s a pretty impressive bio ... good pictures as well.

• bnovak226
    bnovak226 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Keep moving forward! Ur awesome!
  • rockywv
    rockywv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 68 also so your title grabbed my attention.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I admire your attitude. Your difficulties echo mine. If you believe what you read, a year, 18 months to recover from a frozen shoulder, impingement longer, we '49 ers don't have time to waste like that that! (this one does not) Each time we go down, with what ever get to grips with the cause and just get back up to push on again. Onwards and upwards.

Congratulations.
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you for inspiring me! You are really LIVING your life!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    63 here and understand. I, too, have frozen shoulder. It's a lot better than it was. It's hard to push yourself just enough and still avoid injuries. Pushing through and never giving up is also my philosophy. Congratulations and best of luck for the future.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Amen sister! You look amazing, your energy is inspiring ! Keep on keepin on! S
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! Keep at it as long as you can I say!
  • vpkaffeeklatsch
    vpkaffeeklatsch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I saw the 68....and I'm 62 so my first thoughts were - wow, well done....and then omg there's hope for me yet!
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing!!
  • kellyw4444
    kellyw4444 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am turning 50 this year, have lost 17 pounds on MFP so far and I find your journey inspiring. I hope to look as good at 68! I, too, was active in my youth and really only became overweight after having 3 kids and a full-time job that consumed the majority of my energy for the past 20 years. Kudos to you for all your hard work and dedication. It is strictly use it or lose it as we get older - literally. I am a Gerontologist and work in the field of injury prevention. Our muscle mass declines with age and the best thing we can do to counteract it is to strength train. As to injuries, we are all more prone to injuries as we get older and it also takes longer to heal from them. Proper technique is crucial, as is making sure you take rest days, and doing a variety of activities (rowing and cycling and walking) helps to reduce overuse injuries. Listen to your body and better to ease off when you feel that first twinge rather than to push through and sustain a serious injury. Don't forget hydration - as we get older, we lose our sense of thirst, but our bodies need it just as much. In the end, we can grow old weak or we can grow old strong and I am aiming for the latter! Good luck on your journey!
  • LoreeBelle
    LoreeBelle Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly! You look AMAZING! I’ve been doing some weight training since mid-February and I feel so much better. It’s fun to feel muscles! I’ve never had any! I’m 53 and I really hope I can end up in such great shape as YOU!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You look like strong senior citizen !
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous- keep up the good work
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Well done! Keep going!!
  • longbranch92
    longbranch92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You’re doing so well and glad to see someone in their 60’s! Very inspiring for me.I’m 61 and lost 60lb in the last 17 months. I want to be more active and strong and started strength training. And now the injuries have started😝 Trying not to be discouraged but find it very frustrating. Just healed bursitis in my knee and stepped on the vacuum hose last night and went over sideways on my foot. I’m pretty sure I damaged a tendon so back to physiotherapy on Monday. Who knew that housecleaning could be so dangerous!
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!