Bread Suggestions

Options
dawn_h_d
dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
I do like bread, and I know if it something I give up completely, I will end up binging on it in some way, shape, or form. I currently am eating White/Italian Bread, which I know I should pick something out that is more beneficial to my health. I grew up eating Wheat Bread, and there is something about it that just turns me off. I am not sure if it is the dryness or texture or taste, but I just can't do it. Does anyone have any other suggestions of breads that can be found at the supermarket that don't cost and arm and a leg? I have tried using "other breads" like "Thins", but I just head back to my old, trusty, and not good for me, White Bread.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Look for Pumpernickel, which is sweet, and moist, and definitely not white. An aquired taste, but I like it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with white bread. If you like it, eat it just make room for it in your calorie goal.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with white bread. I eat all kinds of bread daily. My preference when cutting is Nature's Own 40 cal/slice. I go with honey wheat, whole wheat, or white depending on my mood. I think they're all very good.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    We switched to “whole grain white” bread. It’s half whole grains and I honestly can’t tell the difference and either can my kids. Not sure what’s near you, but Wegmans has one and Sara Lee also has one. I’m sure there are others.
  • leighrquinn
    leighrquinn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have found Cut Da Carb wraps are amazing also perfect 10 bagels when I did the double W diet.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Sourdough
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i enjoy 1 slice per day with a fried egg or pb2 for breakfast. but thats all
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I've actually noticed white bread is actually lower in calorie than most whole wheat breads. If thats what you like, nothing wrong with it!
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I like Ezekiel bread.
  • QuinntessentiallyMe
    QuinntessentiallyMe Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    647 bread from Schmidt is amazing- about $4 a loaf here, but it goes on sale around here often. The nutrition works for me, especially the fiber level. Comes in wheat, white, and Italian. http://schmidtbaking.com/products/647-2/

Everyone and their grandma seems to love Ezekiel bread, but I can't afford it at $6+ a loaf, never on sale, and the company can be stingy with coupons.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    As long as you do t have insulin issues you’ll be fine.

I myself do like the “Great Sprouted” by Franz. It’s not like cardboard at all but it does have seeds in it.

However, it has 110calories per slice, about 20 more than a white bread.
  • emilyluder19
    emilyluder19 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee 45 calorie bread is my life savor, i have at least one slice every single day. I’ve also been wanting to try cauliflower wraps!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I hate the regular white and wheat breads. They taste too sweet to me. I personally like sourdough. They sell it at aldi although I admit it’s quite a bit more expensive than their “basic” loaves
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Natures Own bread, the kind that is 40-50 calories a slice, has been a godsend to me.
  • ian4239316
    ian4239316 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I keep a supply of pittas in the freezer. They are my guilty pleasure. Just take one out, stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds and stuff it with anything healthy.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I like ezekiel bread. The ezekiel cinnamon raisin english muffins are really good.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    There's no need to change what you like. It won't last and you'll resent that someone told you not to eat Italian bread. Give yourself permission to eat exactly what you want. We have a country bakery on down the road run by the local yocals. They make a white and wheat bread with no preservatives and the ingredient list is the shortest around. It makes the best toast. I don't have an imaginary gluten allergy. 86% of the people who believe they have one if they had an actual medical test would find they didn't have one at all. Only 1% of the U.S. population has a gluten allergy. Eat your white bread and enjoy yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Jzl_bx3fI[/url]
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I like Daves killer bread. Also walmart has their brand of the same type bread. I susually get thin sliced for 60 calories per slice- but as some have mentioned Sarah Lee has 45 calories a slice- but to me they are a little small.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    dawn_h_d wrote: »
    I do like bread, and I know if it something I give up completely, I will end up binging on it in some way, shape, or form. I currently am eating White/Italian Bread, which I know I should pick something out that is more beneficial to my health. I grew up eating Wheat Bread, and there is something about it that just turns me off. I am not sure if it is the dryness or texture or taste, but I just can't do it. Does anyone have any other suggestions of breads that can be found at the supermarket that don't cost and arm and a leg? I have tried using "other breads" like "Thins", but I just head back to my old, trusty, and not good for me, White Bread.

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup Greek yogurt (

Mix all to form bread dough. Shape into buns / bagels / baguettes and bake at 375F until done (20-25min.)

Simple, easy and delish.

Thanks! I'm going to try this! I've only done flour-yeast-salt breads.
    Sooo.... 125g flour? 226g yogurt? How many buns would it typically make?