How To Eat More?!

Options
I’m tired all the time, not sleeping well, no energy for workouts and having mood swings and nervousness. I feel this is all due to a diet change. I cut out all artificial sugar from my diet and try to eat pretty healthy. I struggle to eat enough in a day because I’m just not hungry even though I can tell my stomach is empty or because of lack of time to eat. I had lab work done and my levels for anemia were under the “normal” range but not enough for my doc to be concerned. I feel great after a large meal or eating something sweet. Just wondering if adding back in some unhealthy foods and artificial sugars back in is a good idea? Thinking it would help me feel better and maybe boost my appetite?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Foods aren’t unhealthy in isolation - any food can be part of a healthy overall diet.

What does that mean you cut out artificial sugars - like Splenda/sucralose/aspartame? How much of that were you consuming, what foods/drinks did you consume it in, and why did you decide to cut it out?
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Yes! Eat food you like and that makes you feel good. As long as you're in your calorie range for your goal, you can eat "unhealthy" food (whatever that means to you) and still reach your goals.
    Weigh everything in grams and log it accurately, whether it's kale or donuts.
  • Hrussian
    Hrussian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Yes! Eat food you like and that makes you feel good. As long as you're in your calorie range for your goal, you can eat "unhealthy" food (whatever that means to you) and still reach your goals.

Thanks! Your right as long as I stay in my calorie goal it should be fine.
  • Hrussian
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Foods aren’t unhealthy in isolation - any food can be part of a healthy overall diet.

What does that mean you cut out artificial sugars - like Splenda/sucralose/aspartame? How much of that were you consuming, what foods/drinks did you consume it in, and why did you decide to cut it out?

I cut out all sugars except for sugars naturally in fruit and vegetables. I would eat something sweet almost every night, cookies or ice cream. It’s been almost a solid year with no sugar except for a few splurges about once a month. I did it originally to drop some extra pounds. Worked great but totally killed my appetite.

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    What labs did your doctor order? Anemia is checked with a CBC. However, if you're having issues with sleeping, lack of energy, mood then a hormone panel could be useful (thyroid and sex hormones).
  • Hrussian
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    What labs did your doctor order? Anemia is checked with a CBC. However, if you're having issues with sleeping, lack of energy, mood then a hormone panel could be useful (thyroid and sex hormones).

That’s a good idea! Yes, had full blood work ran but nothing for hormones. I need to go back and have hormones run as well.
  • categ78
    categ78 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Might be worth upping your iron rich foods, even at non clinical levels I understand low iron can lead to some general fatigue symptoms. I’ve especially experienced this round my cycle.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Hrussian wrote: »
    I’m tired all the time, not sleeping well, no energy for workouts and having mood swings and nervousness. I feel this is all due to a diet change. I cut out all artificial sugar from my diet and try to eat pretty healthy. I struggle to eat enough in a day because I’m just not hungry even though I can tell my stomach is empty or because of lack of time to eat. I had lab work done and my levels for anemia were under the “normal” range but not enough for my doc to be concerned. I feel great after a large meal or eating something sweet. Just wondering if adding back in some unhealthy foods and artificial sugars back in is a good idea? Thinking it would help me feel better and maybe boost my appetite?

I'm confused. If your iron is lower than Normal, you're anemic, which leads to crippling fatigue for me. Did your doctor advise you to ignore this altogether or get more iron?

To stay in Low Normal, I have to eat 100% of the RDA for iron plus supplement with an additional 280% of iron, and the first two forms of iron I got from my doctor didn't raise both my iron and energy levels.

I take Iron Bisglycinate these days. It works without the unpleasant gastrointestinal irritation and constipating side effects of cheaper forms of iron.
  • Hrussian
    Options
    categ78 wrote: »
    Might be worth upping your iron rich foods, even at non clinical levels I understand low iron can lead to some general fatigue symptoms. I’ve especially experienced this round my cycle.

Thanks! I have upped iron rich foods and the amount I am eatting the last few day and have already noticed a difference.
  • Hrussian
    Options
    leo0933 wrote: »
    I agree with Kam26001. Get your hormones checked. Like he stated that could be with your thyroid, cortisol, insulin, leptin and etc. Get those checked and then once you do that you want to create a proper plan to make sure you are getting enough food or energy in your body. Along with making sure you are getting a well balanced meal.

I do agree with the others that you can get in the calories by eating what you want. Will you lose weight if your tracking it. Yes you can. Here is where I disagree. I think people focus so much on calories that they forget the main thing is to get in NUTRITIOUS CALORIES. You want to get in Nutritious amount of calories. It's bigger than just losing weight or etc. Eating healthy calories will promote more endurance, better energy, healthy balance of hormones, and etc. Again you can change by eating what you want but I just believe if you really want your body to change and take your health to another level . (Make sure you are getting in Macro's Carb, Good Fat, Protein)

Tips you could do

1. Figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) To keep it simple this will give you how many calories you need to stay at the weight you are currently. To help with things maybe eat those calories for about a week or 2 to help allow your hormones to come back up as well (if it is your hormones) Once you do that then create a deficit to begin to lose weight. Create a healthy deficit so you can lose healthy weight.

2. Like the others said track your food. See what you are eating. I am not saying it is full proof but it will help take some of the guessing out of the equation.

3. Get professional help. Trainer or nutritionist (Or One who has both credentials) This way you can understand what to eat, how to eat, and where to begin with things. How to incorporate in your daily life. Make sure you research. Just like going to a barbershop or hair salon just because they are there does not mean then can cut or do a good job with your hair. Some have you looking worse than what you came in as..lol

4. Meal prep. Prep your foods ahead of time. For example my down time are Sundays. So I prep for at least up to Thursday. I cook some things (chicken breast, ground beef, and etc.) I freeze. I will take it out for that day to unfreeze in the sink, That way when I come home in the evening all I have to do is put it in the oven. I also buy like steamfresh/birds eye frozen veggies. That way to save time I can take that to work put in microwave and eat. I only get like broccoli, string beans, broccoli florets, and Cauliflower. That is just my preference because I know from what the ingredients say that is all in the bad nothing added or anything. There other brands or etc that you can use to help save time as well.

5. Understand how to read labels. This will help you understand what you putting in your body. This way you can see what it is in your food and etc.

Just a few small tips and my thoughts. Keep pushing and keep doing you. You got this.

Thanks! Great advice. I have been eatting so healthy it’s crazy! Lost over 35lbs. Body is great but feel like crap. I almost feel like my diet was so clean that I lost my appetite. Sounds crazy i know.
  • Hrussian
    Options

I'm confused. If your iron is lower than Normal, you're anemic, which leads to crippling fatigue for me. Did your doctor advise you to ignore this altogether or get more iron?

To stay in Low Normal, I have to eat 100% of the RDA for iron plus supplement with an additional 280% of iron, and the first two forms of iron I got from my doctor didn't raise both my iron and energy levels.

I take Iron Bisglycinate these days. It works without the unpleasant gastrointestinal irritation and constipating side effects of cheaper forms of iron.[/quote]

Honestly the doctor said nothing to me about it. I had labs ran about two months ago because i just wasn’t feeling well. I was told everything. Was normal. Started to get worse so I asked for the lab results. My Mother is a RN and she noticed the lower range in several areas. I think it’s best to get a second opinion.

Wow! So the iron supplements are not workin for you? I have been readin it’s hard for our bodies to absorb.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

I’d prioritize macronutrient range rather than calories to obtain optimal nutrition
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I’d prioritize macronutrient range rather than calories to obtain optimal nutrition

What’s important is getting adequate calories then macronutrients for satiety and micronutrients for overall nutrition but since OP has described her diet a couple times as “very clean” I think advising her that it’s ok to loosen up the reins a little to eat some calorie dense foods in order to make sure she’s getting enough total energy (since her symptom is fatigue) is prudent.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I take Iron Bisglycinate these days. It works without the unpleasant gastrointestinal irritation and constipating side effects of cheaper forms of iron.

Honestly the doctor said nothing to me about it. I had labs ran about two months ago because i just wasn’t feeling well. I was told everything. Was normal. Started to get worse so I asked for the lab results. My Mother is a RN and she noticed the lower range in several areas. I think it’s best to get a second opinion.

Wow! So the iron supplements are not workin for you? I have been readin it’s hard for our bodies to absorb.

No, the iron supplements do work for me. My point is that people with anemia may need a lot more than the RDA and just eating more iron rich foods may not suffice.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    leo0933 wrote: »
    I agree with Kam26001. Get your hormones checked. Like he stated that could be with your thyroid, cortisol, insulin, leptin and etc. Get those checked and then once you do that you want to create a proper plan to make sure you are getting enough food or energy in your body. Along with making sure you are getting a well balanced meal.

I do agree with the others that you can get in the calories by eating what you want. Will you lose weight if your tracking it. Yes you can. Here is where I disagree. I think people focus so much on calories that they forget the main thing is to get in NUTRITIOUS CALORIES. You want to get in Nutritious amount of calories. It's bigger than just losing weight or etc. Eating healthy calories will promote more endurance, better energy, healthy balance of hormones, and etc. Again you can change by eating what you want but I just believe if you really want your body to change and take your health to another level . (Make sure you are getting in Macro's Carb, Good Fat, Protein)

Tips you could do

1. Figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) To keep it simple this will give you how many calories you need to stay at the weight you are currently. To help with things maybe eat those calories for about a week or 2 to help allow your hormones to come back up as well (if it is your hormones) Once you do that then create a deficit to begin to lose weight. Create a healthy deficit so you can lose healthy weight.

2. Like the others said track your food. See what you are eating. I am not saying it is full proof but it will help take some of the guessing out of the equation.

3. Get professional help. Trainer or nutritionist (Or One who has both credentials) This way you can understand what to eat, how to eat, and where to begin with things. How to incorporate in your daily life. Make sure you research. Just like going to a barbershop or hair salon just because they are there does not mean then can cut or do a good job with your hair. Some have you looking worse than what you came in as..lol

4. Meal prep. Prep your foods ahead of time. For example my down time are Sundays. So I prep for at least up to Thursday. I cook some things (chicken breast, ground beef, and etc.) I freeze. I will take it out for that day to unfreeze in the sink, That way when I come home in the evening all I have to do is put it in the oven. I also buy like steamfresh/birds eye frozen veggies. That way to save time I can take that to work put in microwave and eat. I only get like broccoli, string beans, broccoli florets, and Cauliflower. That is just my preference because I know from what the ingredients say that is all in the bad nothing added or anything. There other brands or etc that you can use to help save time as well.

5. Understand how to read labels. This will help you understand what you putting in your body. This way you can see what it is in your food and etc.

Just a few small tips and my thoughts. Keep pushing and keep doing you. You got this.

Thanks! Great advice. I have been eatting so healthy it’s crazy! Lost over 35lbs. Body is great but feel like crap. I almost feel like my diet was so clean that I lost my appetite. Sounds crazy i know.

How long did it take to lose the 35 pounds?
  • smith10000
    smith10000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently upped my protein and decreased carbs/eliminated grains/fruit and have felt an increase in energy. I read that carbs have the opposite effect so if you eat lots of carbs it might be an issue. I am also vegan with a chocolaty sweet tooth so chocolate espresso protein shakes, dessert hummus, paleo granola with cocoa/maple syrup/unsweetened soy milk and tofu pudding are all calorie heavy/protein rich and sweet and yummy. I do eat veges too. :)
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    If you need more calories but aren't hungry, add small amounts of olive oil, ground flax seed, protein powder or peanut butter to the things you already eat. They won't really fill you IP, bit will help you reach a calorie goal.