Calorie burn competition anyone?

Anyone wanna push each other to see how many calories we can burn? A friendly competition. I have a Garmin 235 HR GPS watch, so my count is accurate.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited June 2018
    This ^^

All I need to do is to think about and anticipate cycling up hills, and my heart rate goes up.

And ... a person can only exercise for 24 hours each day. None of us can conjure up any extra hours.
  • akasha9772
    akasha9772 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2018
    I know my max heart rate
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    If I recall correctly, Motoactiv is among the few that allow for personal calibrations based on VO2 max and mac heart rate.
    Without calibration is based in averages for a person your age, weight, height, and gender.

Spin bikes that directly measure watts come pretty close.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Plus, there's no way I will purposely exercise just to burn calories. I exercise with a purpose of getting stronger and faster. If I need to gain or lose weight, I focus on my diet.

^^ Exactly. Also agree that comparing measurements in the manner suggested is not really practical nor valid.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited June 2018
    Train with purpose not just to burn calories. I burn the most calories per hour running but to train for a triathlon I also need to swim & bike both of which burn fewer calories per km than running. Similarly strength training is an integral part of any balanced fitness program but compared to most aerobic exercises burns relatively few calories.

I'm all for people encouraging each other but probably the least important metric when exercising is the calorie burn.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    akasha9772 wrote: »
    All I hear is reasons why not to do this, they sound like excuses to me

Okay.

Give us your height, weight, age, and male or female. What type of exercise are you doing?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Plus, there's no way I will purposely exercise just to burn calories. I exercise with a purpose of getting stronger and faster. If I need to gain or lose weight, I focus on my diet.

While I do not think that comparing calories burned exercising in a competitive context as suggested by the OP is useful, I actually exercise primarily to burn cals rather than for fitness but my situation is different than for many others.

Over the past 2 years, I lost over 40#, gained strength, dropped my BF as measured by hydro below 10% and achieved a remarkable level of muscle tone and definition by means of diet control and lifting while doing very little cardio.

I have been in maintenance for the past 18 months and my maintenance level had gotten so low that I was starting to feel food deprived and hungry. The only solution was to exercise more to eat more. So, I started to row 10k meters/day on my C2 rower for an hr/day which burns an additional 550 cals/day -- all of which I eat back.

This has reduced my hunger and increased my intake of protein and other nutrients, while still maintaining my weight. Of course, rowing also has fitness benefits that keep me fit and in shape but those benefits are not the main reason why I am rowing.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

You are hearing reasons, knowledgeable explained reasons - why it's not a useful thing.

If you wish to remain ignorant and think they are excuses - go for it.

Let me get my summer endurance cardio training going and ruin my lifting program as a side effect, and 8 hrs of biking and 3 hrs of running and 1 hr of swimming will likely trample your calorie burn.

No, actually, not going to do that this summer. Lifting is going to remain strong focus before cardio.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What would the point be of said calorie burning competition?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

That's cute. All I'm hearing from you is doubling down and not actually wanting to have any sort of dialogue. I mean we can play this game of "who can burn the most amount of calories in X number of days" if you really want to. I'll give you my Strava username. I'm riding a century tomorrow (or at least that's the plan) and I suspect at least one other person who has replied is riding at least one century within the next month.

I still don't really see the point. I don't train to a specific calorie goal. Speed, power, and/or distance yes. Calories? No.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Okay.

Give us your height, weight, age, and male or female. What type of exercise are you doing?

OP must have changed their mind... shame!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited June 2018
    While I am no longer interested in responding to the troll, I will put this out here anyway in the event that others will read this and actually want to learn...

Unless you are extremely obese, it is not healthy or smart to lose more than 1-2 pounds per week. To lose 1-2 pounds a week you have to burn 500-1000 calories per day more than you eat (CICO). So let's say I do your silly competition and manage to burn 1500 calories. To stay healthy and not lose muscle and strength I would have to eat an additional 500 calories above my base. And every calorie above that I'd have to eat back.

What is the point of that?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Anyone wanna push each other to see how many calories we can burn? A friendly competition. I have a Garmin 235 HR GPS watch, so my count is accurate.

So - when does this start? I burned 2,967 calories on my century ride according to Garmin who got the power data from my Powertap pedals.

On a more serious note, I'm not actually sure I'll easily be able to eat all of those back. So far, roughly estimating I've consumed 2973 calories - my goal, not taking exercise and walking into account, is 1,600 net. My stomach is currently saying "no more" in terms of food (I am typing this with food in front of me.