Slow start advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I too had a quick look at your diary and you appear to be weighing very little. How much does a medium apple, banana or potato weigh? Your banana may be closer to large rather than your perception of medium and it doesn't take long for the calories to add up if you don't weigh each individual piece of fruit or vegetables.

You are using cups and tablespoons for solids. With that peanut butter take a tablespoon out and weigh it. Add it back to the jar and take out another tablespoon. Add to that that this database entry could mean a level tablespoon and you have taken it as heaped. Do that a few times and you will see a different number every time and you don't have to be out much with peanut butter to quickly add on the calories. Use cups and measuring spoons for liquids only.

Prepackage food can be out by 20% and more often than not it will weigh more than indicated on the package. Because of this, you need to weigh prepackaged food too.

Finally, check everything against the nutrition label on the package or the USDA database for fresh produce. There are many inaccurate entries in this database.

All these little things can quickly add up to hundreds of extra calories a day being consumed and it is this inaccuracy with logging which stalls weight loss much of the time.

Just so you know, I too made all these logging errors when I started here so you are not alone. I think most would make the same mistakes until they hit a plateau and wonder why they are no longer losing.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    To highlight the difference between weighing & measuring....

gw4estiqoolo.jpg
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    frzp6y1y52xd.jpg
  • cegal3
    cegal3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That makes sense - I figured that something like bread would average at x calories, and that would be fine to measure.

The protein powder I actually did weigh due a friend showing me how off his was (different brand), and is actually correct. I'll start doing it with the rest of my food as well.

Thank you for the insight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    The way that they are logged. 1 slice, is not a weight.

You can't always go by that. I often log things by serving size after I confirm it in grams. Some things are just easier that way because after you scan them there is no option for grams or ounces. With only a few exceptions if it is pre-packaged when I weigh something I shoot for an increment of a serving size. If it is high calorie I will get close but stay just under if not exact.

I guess I'm just more for specificity (numbers geek). For example. If I have a slice of bread, and it's over the package amount (which I find it usually is), I divide to get the correct portion. So my 1 slice while be logged as 1.3. Although I prefer to find the gram options where an accurate one exists.

My main point in bringing it up though was that it's good. Considering he's eating the minimum for a man and working out on top of that.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just more for specificity (numbers geek). For example. If I have a slice of bread, and it's over the package amount (which I find it usually is), I divide to get the correct portion. So my 1 slice while be logged as 1.3. Although I prefer to find the gram options where an accurate one exists.

My main point in bringing it up though was that it's good. Considering he's eating the minimum for a man and working out on top of that.

I didn't think about store bought bread. The only bread I have had in quite some time has been homemade so it gets entered based on weight and my recipe.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I didn't think about store bought bread. The only bread I have had in quite some time has been homemade so it gets entered based on weight and my recipe.

Love homemade bread. Just not something I've had in a long time. I should look at getting another bread maker. I find doing it all by hand to be both labour intensive and time consuming. The old me used to make the dough then use it to make buns filled with cheese and garlic sausage. I could eat 5 of those straight out of the oven. Explains why I'm here :bigsmile:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Love homemade bread. Just not something I've had in a long time. I should look at getting another bread maker. I find doing it all by hand to be both labour intensive and time consuming. The old me used to make the dough then use it to make buns filled with cheese and garlic sausage. I could eat 5 of those straight out of the oven. Explains why I'm here :bigsmile:

Luckily I didn't have access to them or I would have even more to lose. Since my appetite is usually well in control I have gotten even more demanding of my food so even though it is higher calorie I prefer homemade.

I don't think I could deal with doing it the old way so often. I like being in the kitchen but time prepping food has to be kept reasonable or I don't want to do it and my week greatly suffers.