blisters forming during runs

Options
Everytime I run I develop blisters or something (around the 5 k mark) on the inside of my big toe and the inside of my second toe (for some reason those two toes rub against each other during my stride, only my left foot). I'm not sure if they are blisters or just my skin ripping off due to the friction. They evenutally pop or "rip off" before I finish my run (10 k) Last time I put band-aids over both toes to prevent it from happening but low and behold the new skin that developed ripped right off. Anyone have similar problems? Any solutions. I thought the band aids would help but they only delayed the onset of this "rip off" to about the 7k mark. Thanks peoples.

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Check out Injinji toe socks. No more friction!
  • amorrisjaybird
    Options
    Look on running sites . . . I don't know the brand, but they make socks that have toes to prevent this rubbing. I run in these socks and they seem odd at first, but I've had blisters in these socks on my toes!
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    oh yes! try Vaseline on your toes before you run- or buy a pair of 5 finger socks.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Dr. Scholl's has this blister preventing stuff that works wonders. It comes in a little blue "deodorant' type container. I swear by the stuff.
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    athletic tape stays on much longer than band-aids. you'd want to put something like pre-wrap or a band-aid under the athletic tape to avoid tearing at the skin when you remove the athletic tape.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Check out Injinji toe socks. No more friction!

Yep. Those and Vibram Five Fingers. "Barefoot" running ftw!
  • kerryquinn
    Options
    new socks! some running socks even have a blister-free money back guarantee!
  • diamondd95
    Options
    I had the same problem. I used the ininji toe socks and it is a problem no longer!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    How tight are your shoes? Can you wiggle your toes when you run? The running store told me I should be able to play the piano with my toes when I run.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    wow some really good advice here...five finger socks, vaseline, and athletic tape. i like all of them and will try all of them. thanks guys! there's always hope!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You aren't wearing cotton socks are you? Cotton is the devil's fabric when it comes to running gear.
  • 23wife
    23wife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try different shoes - I bought a new pair of Mizunos awhile back and was amazed at the difference they made. No blisters at all!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Could be the way your toes are positioned in the shoes.

I would try the 5 toe running socks before investing in new shoes.