Paleo Macros

Options
Hi, I am new and looking for some help on Paleo Macros. Most I have seen run around 150 grams is carbs and I cannot do that. Diabetes runs in my family, so I like to keep my carbs at a max of 50. Yes, I have flirted with Ketosis, but I have not been strict enough to stay in ketosis. I want to try Paleo for the summer, but have no clue how I should adjust my protein and fat Macros. Any ideas?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I don't think Paleo strives for particular macros.

If you like lowcarb, stick with your 50g carbs, then the rest is obviously fat and protein...
  • ejmereen
    ejmereen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dr. Paul Jaminet of Perfect Health Diet recommends a ratio of 20 percent carbohydrate, 65 percent fat and 15 percent protein. What is nice about Paleo is the macros are flexible, you can be Keto or not. It's what ever works best for you.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new and looking for some help on Paleo Macros. Most I have seen run around 150 grams is carbs and I cannot do that. Diabetes runs in my family, so I like to keep my carbs at a max of 50. Yes, I have flirted with Ketosis, but I have not been strict enough to stay in ketosis. I want to try Paleo for the summer, but have no clue how I should adjust my protein and fat Macros. Any ideas?

There is a primal / Paleo group on MFP, which would be able to give you some really useful advice and no doubt recipes :smile:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    A Paleo Diet is not based on Macros, it is based on the foods you eat. No grains, no diary or raw dairy, no sugar, no/limited starchy carbs like potatoes, limited sweet potatoes/jicama/etc, lots of veggies (organic when you can), grass fed beef (when you can), pastured chicken and eggs (when you can), heritage pork (when you can), wild caught fish, healthy fats, etc. It's more of a whole foods diet than anything else. That said, I can't imagine how you would get to 150g of carbs on paleo unless you are really overdoing the starchy carbs, you'd be hard pressed to hit 150g of carbs. When I was doing strict Paleo, I was in the 75-100g range without even really trying. It's more of a diet that you can tailor to your style, so if you prefer low carb, go low carb, if you like higher carb, eat lots of sweet potatoes, etc.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Paleo doesn't have much of a focus on macros. You can do low carb, high carb, etc. Just make sure you're getting enough protein, fats, and fiber. Eat as much variety as possible so you won't get bored. Check out Robb Wolfe if you're into low carb.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Robb Wolf has gone more keto now. You could look into his more recent stuff.

Keto is usually moderate protein. The minimum RDA for protein is about 0.36g per pound body weight. Moderate is usually up to 2 to 3 times higher - for a woman, often 70-130g. Some go higher if quite active and some go lower for medical reasons.

Fat fills in the rest, often 50-75%.

I usually eat more of a primal diet (I include some dairy) and I find it compliments keto and low carb macros nicely. Good luck.
  • Paleo_Babe
    Paleo_Babe Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi, There are some really great online macro calculators online that I've found to help you find the right adjustment for your desired macros. I am paleo with dairy and a few adult beverages lol...If you want to add me, my diary is open to view.

Right now I try to keep my macros very balanced and am more focused on nutrient dense foods than exact macro percentages. Being on a paleo diet always results in higher carbs for me as I am eating way more fruits and veggies as opposed to when I have tried keto in the past and really focused on eating high fat foods. I'm experimenting... My main focus now is on the calorie burn while eating mainly paleo food! lol