Question about calorie consumption.

Options
So, I don't really usually eat meals. I just eat when I'm hungry, and if I'm not hungry I don't eat. However, today, after exercising and with all that I've eaten, I've only netted about 600 calories. But I'm not hungry. What should I do on days like this? This isn't the first time it's happened, either. Should I just force myself to eat something?

Replies

• francena84
    Options
    When this happens I usually like to eat peanut butter with some crackers since peanut butter is like 190 for a tbsp any ways.. Or peanut butter sandwhich..
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i would have a glass or two of full % milk, a banana, or some toast with peanut butter.

everyone's body is different, and if you truly aren't hungry, i wouldn't force yourself to eat too much!
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    When this happens I usually like to eat peanut butter with some crackers since peanut butter is like 190 for a tbsp any ways.. Or peanut butter sandwhich..

I agree. It is a good way to bump up your calories without a ton of volume and you will still get some good fats and protein in there. I also like to eat a handfull of almonds as a go-to... they are like 160 cals for about 24 of them.
  • Nursebeachnut
    Options
    You NEED to eat! Go by your BMR and do the deficit that MFP gives you. If you exercise eat back those calories. Sounds like a lot but your body is a machine that needs to be fueled. If you don't it will shut down. Eat! and you will loose.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter too, but if I'm not hungry and I try to eat, I get stuffed way too quick.
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I eat the same way! my family thinks I'm crazy, but I only eat when I'm hungry, that's it. I've found that nuts, brown rice, peanut butter, etc. are good high calorie foods that aren't too bad for you. and I've taken to cooking with olive oil to add a few extra calories. I usually consume 1100-1200 calories per day (I'm only 5'0 so don't criticize my few calories) I never force myself to eat, I just opt for healthy calorie-dense foods
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It is very unhealthy to net under 1200 cals....you should ALWAYS eat at least 1200 cals per day, just to stay keep good health in general. Anything below 1200 cals and your body goes into starvation mode..you cant drop and keep weight off that way and it is not a good or wise idea to do that on a regular basis.
  • Louieanne
    Louieanne Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find this happens to me on occasion and I started paying close attention and figured out that at some point earlier in the day I was hungry but didn't eat right then because I was busy. When I actually get around to eating I wouldn't feel hungry and would sometimes choose not to eat or if I would eat it was like I couldn't get enough and would end up overeating. What I've found works best for me is to have set meal times. For instance breakfast is always at 8 am, lunch is at 11:30 am, snack at 2:30 pm, dinner at 6:00 pm, and if I need it another snack at 8:00-8:30 pm. This way I'm eating a small amount every few hours and my body doesn't actually get a chance to get hungry, I try not to go over 1800 calories in a day. Hope this helps it took me a long time to figure out what works for me.