Quorn

Options
ssss6813
ssss6813 Posts: 74 Member
What's your thoughts on quorn, I'd like to give up red meat. Is it a good substitute

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it myself, but I know plenty of people who enjoy it. Whether or not it is a good substitute will depend on how much you like it. If there are specific things you are wanting nutritionally besides protein (things like iron, B vitamins, potassium, etc), you'll want to check Quorn's label to see how it matches up on that stuff. That way you'll know to plan to eat other things to meet those needs if Quorn doesn't have them and red meat was a key source for you.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat it all the time, it's a decent price and pretty tasty (although the ordinary frozen sausages are just plain sad).

Gram for gram I doubt it has the same protein as red meat but it's still a suitable lean protein source.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat every protein source except red meat? Pork, seafood, chicken, turkey...etc
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    It is okay tasting. I don't eat red meat either but love white meat and find it much tastier than any meat substitutes. Are you giving up white meat as well?
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I’ve started a pescatarian diet (no meat besides fish/seafood) and started using the quorn “chicken” patties for sandwiches and love them. I saw someone above mention sausage. Morning Star “sausage” is a good meatless substitute for breakfast. Just my humble opinion lol
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you have the Gardein brand in any stores near you I would recommend it. Quorn is good but Gardein has more variety.
    https://www.gardein.com/
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I like some Quorn products, mostly the small tenders because they are an easy/quick source of vegetarian protein to throw into pasta dishes. I tend to prefer morning star for things like burgers and "meatballs" but my SO actually likes Quorn burgers the best. I've been vegetarian for 11 year so for me I'd much prefer a spicy black bean patty or a Mediterranean patty, over something that is meant to mimic meat, but my SO is not vegetarian so she enjoys the more meat-like options. Try a few different brands and see what works for you.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Quorn is a beautiful place in the Southern Flinders Ranges in South Australia......

Oops wrong Quorn hee hee.
  • Amy8Lyn
    Amy8Lyn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the taste, but not all the products are vegan and contain eggs (I have an allergy). I prefer Gardein, plus they go on sale a lot!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I personally like Gardein better, but many people enjoy Quorn. Why not pick some up and try it?