Help needed! I’m so lost

Options
Hey everyone! I am really struggling. I’ve been 106lbs for years and very comfortable at this weight. I broke 2 ribs almost 1 month ago and have not been able to do any type of exercise. Walking even hurts me. I’m trying to eat high protein to maintain weight and muscle mass, but have been gaining weight. I don’t know what to do—eat less calories? Go on a diet? Change my eating completely? I have vacation in 39 days!! All suggestions are helpful.
PS- I am having some weird hormonal issues as well and very low testosterone. Not sure if this is contributing to my weight gain.
Thank you in advance

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    First of all let those ribs heal up nicely. It could take another month to heal up completely.

For healing eat enough. My worry would be getting enough calcium.

Can you wait until those ribs are completely healed before you concentrate on trimming up? I suspect you know how to eat for your body and maintain. You might trim up nicely once you can work out again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the same now as when you were exercising and maintaining your weight? If so, that would be why you're gaining. It's not a great idea to try to lose weight while you're healing, but you could cut down on the amount you're eating (cut calories to your non-exercise maintenance level) until your weight stabilizes, and continue that until you're healed and cleared for exercise again.

If you're having hormonal issues, that's something to discuss with your doctor.
  • jencj05
    jencj05 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Are you eating the same now as when you were exercising and maintaining your weight? If so, that would be why you're gaining. It's not a great idea to try to lose weight while you're healing, but you could cut down on the amount you're eating (cut calories to your non-exercise maintenance level) until your weight stabilizes, and continue that until you're healed and cleared for exercise again.

I just started exercising again about 2 months prior to breaking my ribs. I increased my protein intake when I started exercising and have continued to try to do the same amount of protein per day. I have cut back on calories and fat. I’m going crazy. I’m just watching my muscles turn to mush and my weight increase. I feel gross.
  • jencj05
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    First of all let those ribs heal up nicely. It could take another month to heal up completely.

For healing eat enough. My worry would be getting enough calcium.

Can you wait until those ribs are completely healed before you concentrate on trimming up? I suspect you know how to eat for your body and maintain. You might trim up nicely once you can work out again.

It’s so hard to sit here and do nothing. I’m determined to let my ribs heal though. They are so painful and I have a 3yr old to take care of. I didn’t think about my calcium intake. Great idea. I just had a dexascan so I will be able to see if my done density is ok.
    I can definitely wait to trim up and get back into shape. It sucks bc the summer weather is on its way. I have to remind myself that my health is most important.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    jencj05 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I just started exercising again about 2 months prior to breaking my ribs. I increased my protein intake when I started exercising and have continued to try to do the same amount of protein per day. I have cut back on calories and fat. I’m going crazy. I’m just watching my muscles turn to mush and my weight increase. I feel gross.

I'm so sorry - I've gone through some periods of injury-recovery, surgery and what-not, so I can empathize with how frustrating it can be . . . probably especially so when you were off to such a good start. I suspect some of the sensations (like the mushiness) are at least partly psychological/mental challenges, but that doesn't make them easier. I'm betting you'll bounce back to baseline pretty quickly once you're able to return to a normal routine. Keep in mind that anything you can do will help your calorie expenditure, even if it isn't official exercise, and even if it isn't something you can estimate into your diary. (Even fidgeting is good for a few calories - surprisingly many, in fact, if research on the subject is to be believed).

For now, healing has got to be job #1. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
  • jencj05
    Options
    Thank you so much. You are very encouraging. You are right about the mushiness being mental. It sucks but is only temporary. I have to continue to remind myself that. I am trying to focus on healing. It is taking so long! I like the idea of other ways to burn calories. I fidget alot:)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Don't stress. You won't be able to lose 10 lb in 2.5 weeks safely. If you must buy a bigger 2-piece, do so. Sorry.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    The 10 lbs was partly water weight, so i wouldn't stress over it.
    Since your body is trying to mend broken parts, it doesn't seem wise to underfeed it right now. I think a 500 calorie deficit should be safe, but ask your doctor if you're unsure.
    Fortunately most other people aren't going to notice a few extra pounds.

How did you break your ribs?
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Work on those medical issues first, health is more important than swimsuits and vacation photos. If you need to buy some bigger clothing, do. Then when you’re back to full health and your doctor gives you the go-ahead, work on losing those pounds slowly and celebrate being back in your old vacation garb next year.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I really hope someone can help guide me. I’m 5’3 and have been 106lbs for years (aside from being pregnant). It took me a long time to reach this weight (i was underweight for a long time). Luckily ,I did not have to do much to maintain this weight in the past. I started being consistent with my workouts (mostly lifting) and eating high protein a few months ago. About 4 weeks ago, I broke 2 ribs and have not been able to exercise at all..even walking causes lots of pain. I am also having some hormonal issues that I’m working on with my dr. I have gained 10lbs in the past 2 weeks! I feel disgusting. I am going on vacation in 2.5 weeks and want to lose the 10lbs I gained. Does anyone have helpful suggestions? I know quick weight loss is not practical, but I need to at least start somewhere. I have not dieted before so I am not sure where to start. All advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

You might not want to hear it, but your health is priority in this situation. It sounds like you're only "off the wagon" for the healing process after getting a steady routine and diet in place. Let me tell you, a month or two in the scheme of things is nothing. This is a lifestyle. Fix your body first. I powerlift and have done so competitively for 3+ years with a background of 8+ years of routine fitness. In November, I had to get major foot surgery and was unable to do anything..not even walk around a little bit, due to an infection..for a month and a half. After that, I spent tons of time trying to lose the 8 lbs. I gained and get my strength back on track so I could be ready to compete come summer. But guess what, it happened. I just went to Italy and got back June 2nd - I came back 119 lbs. I have to weigh in at 110 lbs. on July 14th (while maintaining the strength that I have currently...which I lost while away). I already achieved that goal, but it's not really a maintainable loss at the moment. I am weighing every little bit that I put in my mouth, have cut 100 calories from an already low deficit and upped cardio to 60-mins HIIT on top of 2+ hour lifts. Even if you lose that 10 lbs. before vacation..it's vacation, you're going to eat and drink as you please. Do it. Enjoy yourself. Make healthy choices and get back on the fitness train, but when you are healed. You got this chick! You are only 116 lbs. (?) at 5' 3". People would kill to have those stats. Heck, I would - 4' 11" and fighting for 110 lbs. LOLOL
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance until you have healed. That 10# water weight gain is likely due to inflammation from the fractures and the stress. Lyle McDonald has an excellent short book you might find very helpful: https://store.bodyrecomposition.com/product/optimal-nutrition-for-injury-recovery/
  • jencj05
    Options
    Thank you both so much for the info. I was chasing my 3 yr old and fell when I stepped onto my hardwood floor. I ended up with 2 broken ribs and a concussion—so random. My ribs are healing very slowly.
    I didn’t think about water weight or the importance of nutrition and the healing process.
    That book looks awesome and very helpful. I just ordered it. Thank you so much!
  • jencj05
    Options
    Don't stress. You won't be able to lose 10 lb in 2.5 weeks safely. If you must buy a bigger 2-piece, do so. Sorry.

You are right. I need to focus on my health. I’m just frustrated. Thank you.
  • jencj05
    Options
    meperry6 wrote: »
    Drink water and cut the pop--even diet pop. The guy above is right--you probably aren't going to lose 10lbs. in 2.5 weeks. I think you are going to be okay though. Things could be worse: you could be like me and have 83 pounds to lose... Now that is REALLY feeling yucky, but seriously, I do sympathize...a little bit. Even after gaining 10 lbs., you aren't even close to being considered overweight or "fat." Buck up.

Yes I do need to buck up. I’m in a funk. Things could be worse or more difficult. I just want to feel comfortable but my health is most important. No more soda
  • jencj05
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Work on those medical issues first, health is more important than swimsuits and vacation photos. If you need to buy some bigger clothing, do. Then when you’re back to full health and your doctor gives you the go-ahead, work on losing those pounds slowly and celebrate being back in your old vacation garb next year.

Medical issues first is what I need to focus on. Thank you for helping me to put things in perspective. Without my health, life is simply struggle. My dr would kill me if she knew I was more focused on weight than healing:)
  • jencj05
    Options
    Hi everyone! I really hope someone can help guide me. I’m 5’3 and have been 106lbs for years (aside from being pregnant). It took me a long time to reach this weight (i was underweight for a long time). Luckily ,I did not have to do much to maintain this weight in the past. I started being consistent with my workouts (mostly lifting) and eating high protein a few months ago. About 4 weeks ago, I broke 2 ribs and have not been able to exercise at all..even walking causes lots of pain. I am also having some hormonal issues that I’m working on with my dr. I have gained 10lbs in the past 2 weeks! I feel disgusting. I am going on vacation in 2.5 weeks and want to lose the 10lbs I gained. Does anyone have helpful suggestions? I know quick weight loss is not practical, but I need to at least start somewhere. I have not dieted before so I am not sure where to start. All advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

You might not want to hear it, but your health is priority in this situation. It sounds like you're only "off the wagon" for the healing process after getting a steady routine and diet in place. Let me tell you, a month or two in the scheme of things is nothing. This is a lifestyle. Fix your body first. I powerlift and have done so competitively for 3+ years with a background of 8+ years of routine fitness. In November, I had to get major foot surgery and was unable to do anything..not even walk around a little bit, due to an infection..for a month and a half. After that, I spent tons of time trying to lose the 8 lbs. I gained and get my strength back on track so I could be ready to compete come summer. But guess what, it happened. I just went to Italy and got back June 2nd - I came back 119 lbs. I have to weigh in at 110 lbs. on July 14th (while maintaining the strength that I have currently...which I lost while away). I already achieved that goal, but it's not really a maintainable loss at the moment. I am weighing every little bit that I put in my mouth, have cut 100 calories from an already low deficit and upped cardio to 60-mins HIIT on top of 2+ hour lifts. Even if you lose that 10 lbs. before vacation..it's vacation, you're going to eat and drink as you please. Do it. Enjoy yourself. Make healthy choices and get back on the fitness train, but when you are healed. You got this chick! You are only 116 lbs. (?) at 5' 3". People would kill to have those stats. Heck, I would - 4' 11" and fighting for 110 lbs. LOLOL

Wow! Sounds like you’ve really been through it. I always wonder what people who compete do when injured. You sound very motivated. Thank you for your advice and sharing your experience. You’re right that health is priority. It’s difficult to accept that but it is the reality. Good luck with your goals and competition!
  • jencj05
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Eat at maintenance until you have healed. That 10# water weight gain is likely due to inflammation from the fractures and the stress. Lyle McDonald has an excellent short book you might find very helpful: https://store.bodyrecomposition.com/product/optimal-nutrition-for-injury-recovery/

Thank you so much for the info and for the book. I just ordered the book. You opened my eyes to things I did not consider or have knowledge about.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If you're 5'3" then your healthy weight range is 108-140. Being 116 is the low side of healthy. There's really no need to diet at all. If you're dead set on losing those few pounds, plug your stats into MFP and set to lose 1/2lb per week. You don't have the fat reserves to do anything more aggressive.