Meal Planning Ideas

Options
I'm trying to come up with similar meal prep ideas for my boyfriend and I. He's a type 1 diabetic who's struggling with trying to keep his blood sugars stable. I knew barely anything about type 1 until I started dating him almost two years ago, so I'm drawing a blank with what would foods and the right amount of insulin to help keep his sugars from spiking and dropping. We both have different fitness goals, mine is to lose weight, and his is to gain weight. Any suggestions would be fabulous.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have only this - your boyfriend needs to take responsibility for his own health and diet, he should work with his doctor, meal planning is not the same as meal prep.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Here's a sample of something that would be appropriate for an adult with type-1 diabetes. Remember this is just a guide and should be discussed with his doctor and adjusted according to his activity, condition and goals.

Breakfast - High fiber cereal, no sugar added muesli, shredded wheat, etc. Skimmed milk (optional sweetener) and/or 1-2 slices grain bread, olive oil based spread, 200 ml fruit juice, tea or coffee ok, sweetener.

Morning snack - Oatcakes, one piece of fruit, water, water, water :)

Lunch - Maybe a sandwich on grain bread, olive oil based spread, lean chicken, turkey, ham or tuna (low fat natural yogurt / smoked salmon) mix in basmati riced, mixed green salad, low fat/sugar yogurt.

Afternoon snack - Mixed nuts/seeds, one piece of fruit, tea or coffee

Dinner - Lean chicken/meat, fish, basmati rice or wholewheat pasta, jacket potato or sweet potoato. Tons of veggies :) or large green salad, etc.

Evening snack - Grain bread with olive oil based spread, or 2-3 oat cakes, more water...

Again this is just a sample/example/guide. Just the basics and should be adjusted to the individual person. Hope this helps :)
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Here's a sample of something that would be appropriate for an adult with type-1 diabetes. Remember this is just a guide and should be discussed with his doctor and adjusted according to his activity, condition and goals.

Breakfast - High fiber cereal, no sugar added muesli, shredded wheat, etc. Skimmed milk (optional sweetener) and/or 1-2 slices grain bread, olive oil based spread, 200 ml fruit juice, tea or coffee ok, sweetener.

Lunch - Maybe a sandwich on grain bread, olive oil based spread, lean chicken, turkey, ham or tuna (low fat natural yogurt / smoked salmon) mix in basmati riced, mixed green salad, low fat/sugar yogurt.

Dinner - Lean chicken/meat, fish, basmati rice or wholewheat pasta, jacket potato or sweet potoato. Tons of veggies :) or large green salad, etc.

Evening snack - Grain bread with olive oil based spread, or 2-3 oat cakes, more water...

Again this is just a sample/example/guide. Just the basics and should be adjusted to the individual person. Hope this helps :)

This is terrible advice. I'm sorry, but it is. If someone is having trouble with blood sugar spikes, the absolute last thing they need is all of those carbs. Carbs aren't inherently bad, but they can cause spikes in blood sugar, especially for insulin dependent Diabetics.

OP - first and foremost, your boyfriend needs to take responsibility for his own health. Second, please have your boyfriend get a referral for a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionist, someone who can teach him the proper way to fuel his body without the huge swings in blood sugar, a message board is not going to give you the information that you and he need.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options

This is terrible advice. I'm sorry, but it is. If someone is having trouble with blood sugar spikes, the absolute last thing they need is all of those carbs. Carbs aren't inherently bad, but they can cause spikes in blood sugar, especially for insulin dependent Diabetics.

OP - first and foremost, your boyfriend needs to take responsibility for his own health. Second, please have your boyfriend get a referral for a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionist, someone who can teach him the proper way to fuel his body without the huge swings in blood sugar, a message board is not going to give you the information that you and he need.

Then I will add:
    The American Diabetes Association recommends choosing whole-grain bread or 100 percent whole-wheat bread instead of white bread. White bread is made from highly processed white flour and added sugar.

Here are some delicious and healthy breads to try:
    Toufayan’s Low Carb Pita Bread – You can’t have an authentic Mediterranean-style meal without pita pockets. This low-carb version has 16 grams of carbs and 7 grams of fiber per loaf.
    Food for Life’s 7 Sprouted Grains Bread – High in protein and fiber, this flourless bread has 15 grams of carbs per slice. Flavorful and filling, it’s perfect for breakfast, especially when toasted and coupled with poached eggs and berries. Other Food for Life breads and products are also good options.
    Alvarado St. Bakery’s Sprouted Wheat Multi-Grain Bread – This dense, rich bread gets its slight sweetness from molasses and honey. Despite the indulgent taste, it still packs a nutritional punch. Each slice has 15 grams of carbs, 5 grams of protein, and 2 grams of fiber.

Breads that are homemade, available at farmers markets, and made at local bakeries may be higher in fiber and lower in sugar. They will certainly be less processed than those on grocery store shelves. Processed foods are typically digested and absorbed faster, which can raise blood sugar levels.

I made the suggestions based on the individual not giving up carbs/breads entirely. Realistically that's not going to be a sustainable plan. I could go off on a tangent about how a 100% plant based diet will halt and recess the diabetes... but I'll save that for another time lol! :smiley: